Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nLite image - Bootvis won't optimize

Hi guys,

I have my "working" nLited image pretty stable (v11 !) problem is Bootvis just doesn't want to optimize ! I have downloaded a later version to try that and the same, it does the reboot puts up the sign waiting for bootvis, then closes down!

Any ideas how to get it to work, I am still at a 27 second boot, and need this little scalpel to shave off a few more seconds !

So....... any ideas how to get this working, or any other optimiser programs that do a little more than defrag ?!

cheers
    KPJUK
    M1000, 512MB, 512MB CF, 6GB Disk (4200rpm),
    DVD/RW, Dynamix 8" screen, M2-ATX, Custom case,Too many hours building and rebuilding and rebuild.......

There is one component, can't remember which one off the top of my head which is needed by bootvis, it is listed in the warnings when you tick the box in the treeview. Will see if I can find the component for you.

Comment

Cheers Mate,

I made sure on this version to look out for the Bootvis options, task scheduler was one of these. The download I just tried used an msi package to install bootvis, but this didn't work which surprised me....

KPJUK
      DVD/RW, Dynamix 8" screen, M2-ATX, Custom case,Too many hours building and rebuilding and rebuild.......

Comment

Did you remove the windows installer??

Comment

IIRC, I had the same problem but it was disk defragmenter that was needed.
          2004 4runner

Comment

Thanks guys,

defrag is in, windows installer is out........ is it time for v12 ?

Comment

you also need System Event Notification Service and the Event Log (Task Scheduler depends on it)
              EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
              Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
              OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
              Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
              BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
              VoomPC 2

Comment

Install Windows installer - try:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/r...eleaseID=32831

Comment

Looks like I will need to fatten this little install......

Thanks for the advice on the CF card install by the way. It seems to be 2 seconds faster on boot up ! The main advantage though is that you can protect the boot image from changes by usning EWF. I changed the %userprofile% variable to c: in the nLite tweaks, and now when I move over to the CF image on drive E, it still makes any change to docs & settings on c:, so keeps the change requests down to a minimum.

Ah well, Man Utd v Chelsea beckons, I will get the new image built while its on....
                  cheers
                  guys
                  KPJUK

Comment

Thanks SFiorito,

SENS, Task Scheduler and Event log are in, just needs Windows installer by the look of things !

v12 is on its way.....

Comment

You actually do not need to install anything from mentioned components. All you have to do in order to optimize your system with Bootvis is to launch it, select optimize system from its menu, let it reboot your system and let it do its stuff untill you get an error message "Bootvis failed...". Tricky part is this error message does not pop-up, but you have to Alt+TAB to see it Then power off your development system, unplug your hard drive and plug it into different computer with WinXP (not nLited that much . All you have to do then is defrag this drive as you would normally do. Files will layout in corret order specified by Bootvis on devel system.
                      BTW do not forget about minlogon to shave some 10 secs of your boot time.

Comment

Hmmmm which is the windows installer option ?

Thanks for the bits & bytes approach mpattonm, but that might be more of a problem for me at the moment.

KPJUK

Comment

mpattonm..... Hmmm a thought (I feel a headache coming on ! )

defrag is working ok, when bootvis craps out, if I then defrag on the same box, will this have the same effect, and how do I check it out ?

Comment

bootvis

What Not To Remove For Some Programs

From the site:
                            Bootvis
                            Required: Task Scheduler
                            Error: Bootvis won't start on next boot without Task Scheduler.

Comment

kpjuk: then what is your probleh here??? Bootvis rus on ANY WinXP system, no matter HOW MUCH has been removed with nLite. It can only fail after reboot (when actually all analysis is done and layout defrag file is finished) on setting up new task with Task manager named "run defrag.exe" if you removed Task manager itself. That is not a problem, all you have to do is run Defrag manually. Or, as from my advice, if you have removed defrag as well, connect your HDD to other uncripled system and defrag it there. What part you do not understand to???

Comment

Working...
                              X