Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• minlogon with a diff shell other than explorer.exe

how is this done?

i tried to replace "shell = explorer.exe" in the registry.. (search for "shell")

i replaced it with a blank vb app just to test it, and it works, but! if you try to close the app it immediately re-opens itself.. thats the bad part

i just ctrl alt del.. opened regedit.. and i changed it back.. but what if i want to use litestep as the shell.. there has to be a way around this.. there is a way around everything..

bottom line..

find a way to use another shell or set a program as the shell other than explorer.exe while using minlogon (this is a minlogon setup without EWF running on a normal desktop.. its not nlited or anything)

This has been covered before actually. There's another reg value under the winlogon that defaults to restarting the shell when it is closed (in case of a crash). Just change the value (AutoRestartShell I think it was...)
    EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
    Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
    OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
    Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
    BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
    VoomPC 2

Comment

i know about the autorestartshell, but i disabled it and it still does it, i made a point to disable it before, but i tried it with a blank vb app i compiled.. just to test it and it loads yes, does it ever close.. no.. it just keeps reopening..

i HAVE to figure this out..

Comment

What value did you enter for AutoRestartShell?? I've used it before with no prob... Try just using cmd.exe as the shell to see if it's something having to do with your VB app.
        EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
        Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
        OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
        Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
        BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
        VoomPC 2

Comment

the entry was set to autorestartshell = 1 by default, so i set it to "0" to turn it off..

open vb.. normal exe.. and just a regular normal form with 0 lines..

i compiled it as a test.. and thats it.. i set that..

and i restarted.. but its still having that problem

Comment

GPEDIT.MSC, User configuration->SYSTEM->Custom User inter face, then type in the path of your "interface or front end"

This is what I do with minlogon, works great !
            Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
            Via EPIA MII
            512MB RAM
            OEM GPS (embedded)
            nLite WinXP pro on
            1GB Extreme III CF card
            Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
            Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

does this work for sure? is it tested? if thats a fix that works, its gonna be nice in my case and alot of people i will test it when i get home..

thanks..

Comment

yup works for sure, make sure that you have the .EXE path correct. Example:

mine is set to: c:\program%20files\master%20control\Masterconsol5. exe

it loads this instead of Explorer.exe (windows GUI) Be careful though, because if CTRL + ALT + DEL isnt working, you will have no way to get back to your windows GUI. So make sure you have a way to run "Explorer.exe" or GPEDIT.MSC once Explorer Shell is disabled.
                Via EPIA MII
                512MB RAM
                OEM GPS (embedded)
                nLite WinXP pro on
                1GB Extreme III CF card

Comment

Ok, I'd frist like to say: "CRAP" sorry about that last post I had. With MINLOGON enabled changing GPEDIT's custom UI will not work, you gotta actually change the registry... make sure you got a way to change it back however if your just testing to see if it'll work...
                  Via EPIA MII
                  512MB RAM
                  OEM GPS (embedded)
                  nLite WinXP pro on
                  1GB Extreme III CF card

Comment

Addition

In addition to all of this to you programmers that load a front end but still need a way to run an app undernieth your front end.. or even to launch explorer.exe here's a great article from MSDN, click on the example.. you can write a Shell app. (just like start->run on explorer) with 2 lines of code...MSDN
                    Via EPIA MII
                    512MB RAM
                    OEM GPS (embedded)
                    nLite WinXP pro on
                    1GB Extreme III CF card

Comment

syfenx... I'm having the same exact problem with the shell I want to use propagating itself over and over endlessly. Did you ever come up with a solution?

In my case I am just running a little exe that launches a couple of executibles and then exits... and that's how I want to use it, I don't want to have to make the shell permanently on.

EDIT:
                      for anyone that wants to know, i just wrote a batch file that uses the pause command, and turned it into a silent executible file. It launches the program i really want as my shell then just idles in the background. It prevents the endless launching problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X