Can Some Please Send Me A Boot.ini File Please? Jacked It Up

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Some Please Send Me A Boot.ini File Please? Jacked It Up

I was trying to change my boot screen, and somehow did something to where my computer won't boot at all right now. I tried to run the repair with windows XP cd, but it sent me to a command prompt and I couldn't do anything about that. IF I could get a basic ini file, I would really really appreciate it. I got no other options except redo the whole freakin thing, and it is my carPC completely setup and tuned. IF I have an ini file, I can copy that over, I think from the repair stage. But I can't even get the safe mode options. Dammit.
    please send me an email krose @ rosesofhouston.com
    Thanks in advance, you would save me alot of trouble and stress.
    Kenny
    Round VIII - [IIIIIIIIII] 30% Have some parts for 300zx Sema car I don't own yet. Will have 10.4" & 7" screen, and more then you can believe. Will add updates to cleancustoms.com, will be sweet. My car is still same, but might change.

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
    PC Components:
    Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
    My work log

Comment

Originally posted by clean customs
      I was trying to change my boot screen, and somehow did something to where my computer won't boot at all right now. I tried to run the repair with windows XP cd, but it sent me to a command prompt and I couldn't do anything about that. IF I could get a basic ini file, I would really really appreciate it. I got no other options except redo the whole freakin thing, and it is my carPC completely setup and tuned. IF I have an ini file, I can copy that over, I think from the repair stage. But I can't even get the safe mode options. Dammit.
      please send me an email krose @ rosesofhouston.com
      Thanks in advance, you would save me alot of trouble and stress.
      Kenny

try bootcfg /rebuild at that repair command prompt it should recreate your boot.ini file for you

(if not bootcfg /rebuild try bootcfg /? and the switches will be pretty obvious)

Good luck

Comment

thanks man, Ill give it a try
        Round VIII - [IIIIIIIIII] 30% Have some parts for 300zx Sema car I don't own yet. Will have 10.4" & 7" screen, and more then you can believe. Will add updates to cleancustoms.com, will be sweet. My car is still same, but might change.

Comment

I ran through a ton of different options in the repair menu, and was only able to logon by going to the boot menu and selecting "boot with boot logging" I think that was what it was, but no other option. I need to get a copy of someones boot.ini file for changing your boot screen. The directions I have kill my computer.
          thanks again for the help.
          Kenny

Comment

1) What in the hell were you doing that got rid of your BOOT.INI? It's a protected, hidden system file!!!
            2) Windows Repair is SUPPOSED to take you to a command prompt. Try typing HELP for a list of commands. I don't know if there is anything that will restore your BOOT.INI
            3) The BOOT.INI tells Windows to load from whatever device. So if it's not present, then Windows can't boot to the point to ask you about safe mode.

Attached is one from my XP box. Now quit screwing around with your XP install.
            WTF? I can't attach. I'll email it to you.
            G-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r.
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I ran through a ton of different options in the repair menu, and was only able to logon by going to the boot menu and selecting "boot with boot logging" I think that was what it was, but no other option. I need to get a copy of someones boot.ini file for changing your boot screen. The directions I have kill my computer.
              thanks again for the help.
              Kenny
              That sounds like you're at the "press F8 for boot options" menu ... an option in the normal boot process, I was talking about booting from a windows XP cd and going to the repair console, not the automatic repair, the repair console, there you have a command prompt and a list of usefull repair commands to get you going again - what you need in this situation is "bootcfg /rebuild"

Here's what my boot.ini file looks like, they wont always look the same depending on where you have XP installed

[boot loader]
              timeout=5
              default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINXP
              [operating systems]
              multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINXP="Microso ft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn /sos
              multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Emerg ency WinXP" /fastdetect

you'll probbably need something like
              multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(0)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional"

assuming you have one hd and installed to \windows

Comment

I ended up getting it to work by doing a bootcfg /rebuild, and of course I ran every other option. After that I was able to logon using one option from the F8 boot menu. That got me in, and let me change the boot.ini back to normal. I then used the software you can download to change my bootscreen instead of using "change the boot.ini" file way. I don't think it works like that for XP, or at least not my install anyway.
                thanks for the help and the email

Comment

Working...
                X