Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minlogon & Hibernation - Possible fix

Hey guys,

Not sure if this has already been found or not?? May fix the Minlogon and Hibernation problems some are having, haven't tested but will do later today. I'll also see how easy it is to extract the relevant files from the executable.

Blurb from MS:

When using MinLogon on a Windows XP Embedded runtime, standby and resume functionality does not work properly. Minlogon fails to properly process a kernel message which performs the final steps to set the system into the Standby or Hibernate state. This functionality has been restored to MinLogon, enabling standby and hibernate functionality from the Win32 API SetSystemPowerState() and through ACPI hardware (power button, lid switch, etc.)

Link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Can we re-download Minlogon then?

Comment

It seems to be a patch for MinLogon, I'm going to try to extract the exe from the package and give it a go later today.

Comment

I believe this update is for the minlogon included in the SP1 release of XP embedded. I have SP2. Give it a try though.

Comment

yeah, this is a patch for SP1 so it should've been included with SP2. I haven't had problems hibernating or going into standby with SP2.
          EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
          Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
          OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
          Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
          BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
          VoomPC 2

Comment

Ah ok - wasn't sure if it would help - I gave up on Minlogon - may try again.

Comment

I might try again too.

Good download location to remember though save downloading the whole trial or someone else risking litigation for hosting it!
              Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
              Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

So you guys are having problems going into standby and hibernate using minlogon as well ??

It worked for me the first 3 or 4 times and now just locks up my machine.. Do you guys suffer from this as well ?? I thought it might have something to do with my CF card because it seems to standby on my normal harddrive..
                Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
                Via EPIA MII
                512MB RAM
                OEM GPS (embedded)
                nLite WinXP pro on
                1GB Extreme III CF card
                Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
                Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

Originally posted by IntellaWorks
                  So you guys are having problems going into standby and hibernate using minlogon as well ??

It worked for me the first 3 or 4 times and now just locks up my machine.. Do you guys suffer from this as well ?? I thought it might have something to do with my CF card because it seems to standby on my normal harddrive..

A bunch of things stopped working right when I used minlogon.. HW detection, logging in a other users, standby etc. Figured I leave it for now!
                  Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
                  Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

XP freezes going into standby or hibernation on removable drives (like you're ExtremeIII). what they're talking about is minlogon not capturing button presses.

secondary logon isn't going to work obviously since minlogon only supports logging in as the system account. minlogon wasn't meant for running a desktop system. it's meant for specialized devices that don't need hardware detection, secondary logon, extra security, etc., etc. what I typically do is switch to winlogon if I need to use any of those features, once my system is setup I just switch back to minlogon.

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                    VoomPC 2

Comment

Are you using it on your car PC or your home machine ??

I've had it working... I tried it like 4 or 5 times on the work bench and the night before I went to install it in my truck... the last time I shut it off it froze... and hasn't shutdown properly since...

It locks the machine up..
                      Via EPIA MII
                      512MB RAM
                      OEM GPS (embedded)
                      nLite WinXP pro on
                      1GB Extreme III CF card

Comment

SF how do you fix that ?? How do you fix XP from freezing ??

edit: I read your post at windows for devices and it looks like I'm screwed... It's the Extreme III...
                        Via EPIA MII
                        512MB RAM
                        OEM GPS (embedded)
                        nLite WinXP pro on
                        1GB Extreme III CF card

Comment

you can't fix it. it seems XP just panics when it sees that the boot drive is removable. i got the same behavior when I first used my ExtremeIII. I confirmed it by switching my fixed ExtremeI back to removable and it froze there too.

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                          VoomPC 2

Comment

Do you think starfox's app will work running in the background or does it freeze the system before the shutdown call ?

edit: the weird thing is that it worked the first couple of times on the CF card.. like the first 2 times.. Or at least I think it did.. it was 2:30 AM
                            Via EPIA MII
                            512MB RAM
                            OEM GPS (embedded)
                            nLite WinXP pro on
                            1GB Extreme III CF card

Comment

There's two seperate issues: 1) minlogon doesn't capture ACPI button press, and 2) XP freezes when performing stand-by or hibernate on a removable boot drive.

Somone on the board made an applet that listens for the ACPI button press and shutsdown. Is that what you're talking about? If so, then this will fix #1 above. #2 cannot be fixed. It's gotta be a problem with XP's ACPI driver or something. I think I remember mine working as well (on my ExtremeIII), but I was always working on it very late (or very early actually) so I can't be sure that I'm not thinking of the ExtremeI. So basically, the ExtremeIII is faster than the ExtremeI but it can't support standby or hibernate unfortunately.

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                              VoomPC 2

Comment

Working...
                              X