Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pro, Home, Media Centre, Tablet, 2000, 98SE?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro, Home, Media Centre, Tablet, 2000, 98SE?

Any thoughts on which of the above OSes to use? I'm installing Tablet edition at the moment to see if it can do funky things with the touchpad, ie an onscreen keyboard.

I imagine 2K boots too slow, pro is unnecessary and 98 is just unstable poo.

So, Home, Media Centre or Tablet Edition, any thoughts?

Originally posted by Lum
    Any thoughts on which of the above OSes to use? I'm installing Tablet edition at the moment to see if it can do funky things with the touchpad, ie an onscreen keyboard.

I imagine 2K boots too slow, pro is unnecessary and 98 is just unstable poo.

So, Home, Media Centre or Tablet Edition, any thoughts?
    All versions of XP have an onscreen keyboard, I would say most people here are running XP Pro or MCE.
    1.6GHz HP e-PC, 768MB RAM, 120GB WD HDD, Slim DVD-ROM, Onboard sound & video, 7" Lilliput, USB GPS Mouse, Audiovox FM Modulator, Vector 400 Watt Power Inverter, Windows XP Pro SP2, iGuidance 2, 15" Samsung LCD for the rear *Carputer not installed*

Comment

I assume it's only tablet that has the voice recognition though?
      That could be kinda cool if I install a mic in the car

Comment

Nope not just Tablet, any version of XP can run SAPI (voice recognition).
        1.6GHz HP e-PC, 768MB RAM, 120GB WD HDD, Slim DVD-ROM, Onboard sound & video, 7" Lilliput, USB GPS Mouse, Audiovox FM Modulator, Vector 400 Watt Power Inverter, Windows XP Pro SP2, iGuidance 2, 15" Samsung LCD for the rear *Carputer not installed*

Comment

Well if you want voice recognition for navivoice

this is a good program for in car users
          RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
          We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

Mce 2005
            AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
            Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
            Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
            -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Ok, so what advantages does MCE have over standard?
              Currently I'm liking tablet edition because it installs less cack to run on boot and has some nice defaults, but these problems can be fixed anyway if I decide to start messing with nLite.
              Are there any advantages to tablet (over standard) at all?

Comment

Tablet is the same as pro with Digitizer/Ink support... This is what I have heard from numerous sources since the first release of Tablet Edition (when I got my Acer on the first week of launch many moons ago)... Anyways, with this in mind I think it has EXTRA useless stuff...

I'd stick to XP Pro, thats what I have... nLite it and your done!
                Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
                Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

If you want to use mic for input, NaviVoice

Comment

Well, I'm now down to XP Pro or MCE.
                    Getting hold of MCE is going to be tricky as it's OEM only but if I can get the decision made today I can bung it into a order we're doing at work
                    Can you nLite MCE and is the extra stuff it adds worth anything? Is the remote control any good and worth buying?

Comment

I've been using MCE and while I think it's pretty good for TV I don't think I'd want it in my car.
                      EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
                      Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                      OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
                      Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
                      BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
                      VoomPC 2

Comment

Originally posted by Lum
                        Ok, so what advantages does MCE have over standard?
                        Currently I'm liking tablet edition because it installs less cack to run on boot and has some nice defaults, but these problems can be fixed anyway if I decide to start messing with nLite.
                        Are there any advantages to tablet (over standard) at all?
                        MCE just has the MCE shell on top of XP home (I believe it's Home...). It gives you two things:
                        1) The MCE shell for browsing photos, videos, music, playing DVDs, etc.
                        2) Integration with the WinMCE remote.
                        Other than that it's just WinXP.

I'd agree that it's great for a home theater PC or somesuch, but not that great for a car installation.
                        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I'd use an nLited XP Pro with a good frontend, its the n possible to have the best of both worlds.

Comment

Tablet PC is nice for HANDWRITING recognition....however, you can download the MS Table PC edition handwriting recognition drivers for Windows XP......only really usefuly if you plan on using software that uses handwriting recognition....or plan on writing one
                            PC Components:
                            Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                            My work log

Comment

MCE 2005 Incar

I like MCE 2005. It has the RW Live FM Radio that I can not find anywhere else.

Comment

Working...
                              X