XP Embedded to CF

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Embedded to CF

Pay special attention to the last entry, ArcName. That points to the volume you want protected. This script will default to the first partition of the master drive on the primary IDE controller. As long as you have your CF card as the master drive on the primary IDE controller you’ll be fine.
    I was reading http://mason.gmu.edu/~sfiorito/eXPinstall.htm

And i im reading up on how to get win xpe on a CF card. in the quote how would the CF card be set to master you installed XP on the reg hard drive and you are trying to transfer it over? Shouldnt the CF card me slave?

Can you boot up the computer with the CF on Master and the HD on Slave when the OS is on the HD and nothing on the CF?

Also does XPe look just like XP? Is it any different?
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant
    Progress: 90% [-▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓- ->

Carputer Specs:
    Via M10K
    512mb Ram
    60GB HDD
    Souund Blaster Audigy2 NX
    OPUS ITX PC Case

first of all those instructions are for installing XP onto a CF card. that means you've got a working XP installation on a hard drive already. XPe is a different beast since it creates a working installation for you already so you just need to copy it from your workstation to the CF card. so anyways, once you take the steps to make the CF card bootable you simply copy all the files from the hard drive over to the CF card just like it says in that document. once the files are copied over you just make the CF card the bootable drive.

the best way to copy files over is to use a bootable CD like Knoppix or BartPE. As long as you can copy hidden files over you'll be fine.
    EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
    Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
    OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
    Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
    BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
    VoomPC 2

Comment

Originally posted by Cheekz185
      Can you boot up the computer with the CF on Master and the HD on Slave when the OS is on the HD and nothing on the CF?
      No. Windows can only boot from a drive designated as master. If the blank CF is master and Windows is on the slave HDD, you'll get no boot.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
        No. Windows can only boot from a drive designated as master. If the blank CF is master and Windows is on the slave HDD, you'll get no boot.
        I boot my XP from a hard drive which is primary slave, and the cd sits on a master.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
          I do not think this is correct. If you install Windows that way, it will boot. Of course, it will not work if you install your OS onto HDD which is connected as primary master and reconnect it as primary slave afterwards - not without tweaking it a bit

Comment

Originally posted by LagunaICE
            I do not think this is correct. If you install Windows that way, it will boot. Of course, it will not work if you install your OS onto HDD which is connected as primary master and reconnect it as primary slave afterwards - not without tweaking it a bit
            Actualy, for XP it should works without tweeks. The loader will seek the partition # off of the logical unit which it receives from bios as containing the boot capability. Not like on *nix where the partitions can span across logical drives. The problem where you run into is if you disable the drive in the controller properties, which i think will force it to work in 16bit compatibility mode.

Comment

Working...
            X