Remote Registry Help.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Registry Help.

I'm retarded first off, I worked on my car pc all day making careful adjustments to the system and hardware. Finally on the last step which was pointing the shell to my custom front end I blew it.

my front end is located @ D:\FrontEnd\CarInterface.exe I put: d:\frontend\CarInterface.exe (notice the Lower case letters) of course now I've got a blank screen and no CTRL + ALT + DELETE (because I'm using minlogon)

Because I made a direct change to the registry and using nLite I'm not sure that F8 (safe mode) will work but I'll try that today.

I was thinking of trying to load a Pre Installed Envirnment, like Bart PE and try to access the registry that way.

I can remove the systems drive easily and access all the data on my development machine, is there a way to view the registry so I can make the correction through my development machine ?

Anybody have any other suggestions, ohh one other thing I have a backup of the registry on the system, there must be a way to recover it using just DOS.... I feel foolish for not knowing just how to though.

I appreciate any input guys, I'm hopeing to post results so that if others find themselfs in my perdiciment they can recover from thier issues fast.
    Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
    Via EPIA MII
    512MB RAM
    OEM GPS (embedded)
    nLite WinXP pro on
    1GB Extreme III CF card
    Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
    Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Originally posted by IntellaWorks
    I'm retarded first off, I worked on my car pc all day making careful adjustments to the system and hardware. Finally on the last step which was pointing the shell to my custom front end I blew it.

my front end is located @ D:\FrontEnd\CarInterface.exe I put: d:\frontend\CarInterface.exe (notice the Lower case letters) of course now I've got a blank screen and no CTRL + ALT + DELETE (because I'm using minlogon)

Because I made a direct change to the registry and using nLite I'm not sure that F8 (safe mode) will work but I'll try that today.

I was thinking of trying to load a Pre Installed Envirnment, like Bart PE and try to access the registry that way.

I can remove the systems drive easily and access all the data on my development machine, is there a way to view the registry so I can make the correction through my development machine ?

Anybody have any other suggestions, ohh one other thing I have a backup of the registry on the system, there must be a way to recover it using just DOS.... I feel foolish for not knowing just how to though.

I appreciate any input guys, I'm hopeing to post results so that if others find themselfs in my perdiciment they can recover from thier issues fast.

If you have a reg backup, you can insert a bootable windows XP cd and select to open the recovery console, which is similar to a DOS prompt.

What is the file name of your reg backup?

If you can put it on a LAN see if you can ping it when it enters windows. If so, you can map a drive to C$ to set admin password, then open regedit on the remote machine and connect to the remote computer.
    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Comment

BartPE should allow you to do it easily.

Comment

you can load the hives in regedit. in this case you'd want the software hive. they're stored in system32\config
        EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
        Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
        OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
        Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
        BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
        VoomPC 2

Comment

Thanks guys I had a bit of a brain cramp on this situation, ever since I got a puppy my work has degraded !!!
          Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
          Via EPIA MII
          512MB RAM
          OEM GPS (embedded)
          nLite WinXP pro on
          1GB Extreme III CF card
          Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
          Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

Working...
          X