Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Winxp Boot Faster On Usb Hd/flash Drive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Winxp Boot Faster On Usb Hd/flash Drive?

hey guys, i just want to know if booting through my usb port would be faster than ata-133... because if it is, i'll be booting that way then. im running a via epia m10000 motherboard and i'm thinking of buying a 2gb usb thumbdrive or an external hdd for booting up.

thanks.
    Brushed Metal for Centrafuse 1.4
    Brushed Aluminum for Centrafuse 1.4

xenarc 700ts | via epia-m10k | audigy2 nx | holux gm-210 | usb wifi | 40gb 2.5" | slot-load dvd-cdrw | morex 3688 | opus 150w | centrafuse, iguidance

There are threads galore on this topic, n00b.
    OS Optimization forum (this one). Read. Read more. Learn something. Read more...
    Repeat as necessary.

(Better, Bugbyte? )
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

i had a question. i didn't think that was an answer.
      Brushed Metal for Centrafuse 1.4
      Brushed Aluminum for Centrafuse 1.4

xenarc 700ts | via epia-m10k | audigy2 nx | holux gm-210 | usb wifi | 40gb 2.5" | slot-load dvd-cdrw | morex 3688 | opus 150w | centrafuse, iguidance

Comment

Yes you are right, DarquePervert should be banned!!!! Not

come back if you still have questions, like we all did at some point and on!
        Time displayed in a different way!

http://www.lares.dti.ne.jp/%7Eyugo/s.../03/index.html
        http://www.humanclock.com/

FREE 3D Glasses: http://www.rainbowsymphony.com/freestuff.html

Comment

Originally posted by emdzey01
          i had a question. i didn't think that was an answer.
          There's been lots of effort put forth by people doing the same thing you're suggesting. They've all discussed their results here at great length.
          Why don't you read their discussions before you ask questions?

I'm like your bitter old grandparent. You ask them what a word means and they point you toward the dictionary. It helps you learn and doesn't clutter the forum with n00bs asking the same questions over and over and over again.
          How about the Wiki?

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
            There's been lots of effort put forth by people doing the same thing you're suggesting. They've all discussed their results here at great length.
            Why don't you read their discussions before you ask questions?

I'm like your bitter old grandparent. You ask them what a word means and they point you toward the dictionary. It helps you learn and doesn't clutter the forum with n00bs asking the same questions over and over and over again.
            Originally posted by DarquePervert
            They've all discussed their results here at great length.
            it wouldnt be worth reading all of that if its pointless, so he asked

I do not know either

Comment

Originally posted by dyne
              it wouldnt be worth reading all of that if its pointless, so he asked

I do not know either
              So read on, n00b.
              Seriously....

Start here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=39006
              How about the Wiki?

Comment

The whole point of a forum is to ask questions. If it has been asked many times it should be a sticky if not, just keep answering it so others can see it. And if you can save someone the trouble of reading posts after posts and maybe not even finding an answer why not haelp him?
                A1-MTX
                VIA EPIA M1000
                Ultra Low Profile 512MB
                Hitachi Travelstar 30GB 2.5"
                Toshiba 8x Slim Type DVD
                Casetronics C134
                Lilliput 7" Touchscreen
                ElmScan OBDII
                Travellar Mini Keyboard
                Holux GM-210
                Hauppauge WinTV/FM USB

Comment

Originally posted by rsantos97
                  The whole point of a forum is to ask questions. If it has been asked many times it should be a sticky if not, just keep answering it so others can see it. And if you can save someone the trouble of reading posts after posts and maybe not even finding an answer why not haelp him?
                  If your logic is to be followed through, then every thread should deleted once the original poster's questions was answered. The forum stores all these threads so you could use the search function, and instead of having to WAIT for some good samaritan, you could find the answers right away left by those same good samaritans back in a day when the question was new.
                  Expecting answers to be given to you when you want them and not search for them, basically assumes that ONE person's time is more important than MANY people's time.

To top it off, some of the less carputer oriented questions can be answered through means of and basic self-education. Such as this topic.

To the original poster, if you want to start understanding as opposed to just a Yes/No answer, compare speeds of the devices you want to use AT133/USB/FLASH and whatever else. Some answers become self-evident.
                  I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by rushnrockt
                    If your logic is to be followed through, then every thread should deleted once the original poster's questions was answered. The forum stores all these threads so you could use the search function, and instead of having to WAIT for some good samaritan, you could find the answers right away left by those same good samaritans back in a day when the question was new.
                    Expecting answers to be given to you when you want them and not search for them, basically assumes that ONE person's time is more important than MANY people's time.

To top it off, some of the less carputer oriented questions can be answered through means of and basic self-education. Such as this topic.

To the original poster, if you want to start understanding as opposed to just a Yes/No answer, compare speeds of the devices you want to use AT133/USB/FLASH and whatever else. Some answers become self-evident.
                    Seriously. It may be easier (for you) for someone to just tell you,
                    but this is not one of those topics that is only covered at mp3car.com....
                    so !

Learning is fun!!!!
                    Carputer status: [-*---------]
                    Im thinking laptop...

Comment

Guys this thread was about OS boot optimization not a debate about the rights and wrongs of forum use. It would be more usefull to answer the guys question or point him in the right direction than just argue over his not searching, this thread could have been sorted in 2 posts

Q: "WOULD IT BE FASTER"
                      A: "MAYBE, read this thread... http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=....."
                      END OF SUBJECT
                      www.streetrace.co.uk - The UK's best modified car club (With lots of 16/17/18 year olds for scouse to abuse)

Comment

Originally posted by elmo
                        Guys this thread was about OS boot optimization not a debate about the rights and wrongs of forum use. It would be more usefull to answer the guys question or point him in the right direction than just argue over his not searching, this thread could have been sorted in 2 posts

Q: "WOULD IT BE FASTER"
                        A: "MAYBE, read this thread... http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=....."
                        END OF SUBJECT
                        Damn it, now you have to be taught the right ways

In my response I pointed what to look at (might as well learn and understand stuff rather than have everything chewed and digested for you). And there is in fact a need to point out that there is a lot of useful information to be found here, if one searches that is. I prefer to have "redundant" posts in a thread then a bunch of threads that ask same question.

Q. Can you spoon feed me?
                        A. No.
                        I have found you an argument; I am not obliged to find you an understanding.

Comment

wasnt referring to your post rushnrockt dude
                          www.streetrace.co.uk - The UK's best modified car club (With lots of 16/17/18 year olds for scouse to abuse)

Comment

Originally posted by shizzle
                            Seriously. It may be easier (for you) for someone to just tell you,
                            but this is not one of those topics that is only covered at mp3car.com....
                            so !

Learning is fun!!!!
                            Agreed. We're not here to babysit newbies who simply refuse to take the time to do a quick search before starting a new thread. If you have a question to ask, search before posting it. That is just simple forum etiquette, anywhere.
                            Zen Fat Loss

Comment

USB 1.1 provides a theoretical throughput of 12mb/s
                              CF has a bandwidth of 16 mb/s IIRC (I'm to lazy to look this up atm)
                              ATA-133 provides a theoretical throughput of 133 mb/s

What numbers are larger?

There are arguments about the benifits of no seek times with CF, but I don't buy it. It is also noteworthy that CF cards wear out far sooner then a hard drive.

and draw your own conclusions.
                              A digital mind lost in an analog world.

Learn to ask smart questions!
                              http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

My car PC: The Lost Cause!

Comment

Working...
                              X