Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Connecting laptop to Carputer via Network Cable.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting laptop to Carputer via Network Cable.

I have my carputer in the trunk of my car, and a laptop; I want to connect both of them together by a network cable.

When I connect the two, they both show up as network cable unplugged. I've disabled firewall, tried creating different types of network connections, but nothing will seem to get the two PCs to connect.

Both machines have XP Home. Has anyone done this or know how to do this???

Help is SSOOOOO appreciated, this is frustrating!
    Carputer Installed.http://www.cardomain.com/id/norek

you need a crossover cable, google it.
    Audio: Alpine PXA-H700 DSP, Rockford Fosgate Punch P4004 amp, P152S Comps and Alpine SWR-1242D Sub
    PC: BU-303, SB Audigy 2 ZS, Jetway 1.5Ghz, Cubid case, M2-ATX PSU, New 700tsv
    Toys:K8055 relay board, Elmscan OBDII

Type-R Mini

Comment

you only need two things to connect two computers directly:
      A) crossover network cable
      B) set both computers to specified IP's (typically 192.168.1.XXX)

sounds like you're missing one or both of those.
      and I think a quick google would have turned up dozens of guides on how to network two computers directly... don't be afraid of google, it is your friend...
      But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
      Originally posted by Viscouse
      I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
      eegeek.net

Comment

if its saying network cable unpluged its the cable.
        Audio: Alpine PXA-H700 DSP, Rockford Fosgate Punch P4004 amp, P152S Comps and Alpine SWR-1242D Sub
        PC: BU-303, SB Audigy 2 ZS, Jetway 1.5Ghz, Cubid case, M2-ATX PSU, New 700tsv
        Toys:K8055 relay board, Elmscan OBDII

Type-R Mini

Comment

yeah, but I figured i'd mention both. because if he just gets a crossover cable and plugs it in without specifying the IP's, he's just going to have to come right back and ask again. that little 2-item list is pretty much all he needs to know

and on another note... what does this have to do with operating system optimization??
          I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
          eegeek.net

Comment

oh, the countless searches i made on google!! i was just looking up the wrong keywords i guess.

so, i didn't realise there was a difference between a regular rj-45 network cable & a crossover network cable?? I guess one is two-way communication?
            Carputer Installed.http://www.cardomain.com/id/norek

Comment

they're both two-way communication... but if you use a regular one, you are basically connecting the transmit line of one computer to the transmit of the other, and receive to receive... the crossover (get this) crosses the wires so your transmit line goes to the other computer's receive line, and vice versa.

what keywords were you using?

"network two computers" turned up 27 million results, with several useful ones on the first page
              eegeek.net

Comment

a crossover does exactly what it says, it "crosses over" some of the wires so there isnt a conflict if a switch or hub isnt used.

Comment

Working...
                X