Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot Win on hdd from floppy!

Hi all,

I found a solution how to boot WinXP installed on hdd from a bootable floppy.

1) You need a startup disks for XP (6 diskettes), can be downloadded from MS web as a 1 file (choose your language, my is non-english; czech)
    2) Run downloadded program, it extract 6 files (cdboot1.img ... cdboot6.img) in your temporary folder (c:\documments and settings\_user_\local settings\temp\IXP000.TMP)
    3) Do NOT close running program (if you close it, it deletes this 6 files). Copy 1st file (cdboot1.img) to a another folder, it is a bootable one.
    4) Run WinImage (program for manage images -.ima, img)
    5) Delete all files except ntdetect.com and bootfont.bin (maybe needded only on non-english system)
    6) Find in your C:\ (on the root) file ntldr (without extension) and boot.ini and copy both it to a folder where is cdboot1.img
    7) Rename ntldr to new name setupldr.bin
    8) Inject this 2 files to cdboot1.img (opened with WinImage)
    9) Save image file on WinImage.

Thats all!

This boot image can boot only WinXP (and maybe Win2000) OS on YOUR hdd (becouse you use YOUR boot.ini). But you can add more lines to your boot.ini (in cdboot1.img!) as described:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\Windows=" ..." /fastdetect ...
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(4)\Windows=" ..." /fastdetect ...
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\Windows=" ..." /fastdetect ...
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(4)\Windows=" ..." /fastdetect ...

and now, you can boot any WinXP on the 1st or 2nd hdd drive, from 1st partition till 4th partition ...

Pavel

Im sorry, I may be a little slow, but what are the practical applications of this? Why would I want my bootloader to reside on floppy?
    MII-12000 / Ampie / Lilliput 7" / BU-355 / PicoPSU / uSDC
    Currently: Enjoying the setup, but always contemplating my next move...

Comment

Originally posted by rsd212
      Im sorry, I may be a little slow, but what are the practical applications of this? Why would I want my bootloader to reside on floppy?
      It could be usefull if your hdd is corrupted, such as "NTLDR mising" and so on ...
      Than you can use Recovery console or this way to boot WinXP

Pavel

Comment

Update:

This floppy can be used on multiboot cd (like CDShell with isolinux/memdisk) and can be booted (by memdisk) and then you can choose what to boot (from boot.ini) ...

Pavel

Comment

Working...
        X