Using Windows Server 2003 for CarPC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Windows Server 2003 for CarPC

Was wondering if anyone's ever thought of this or acually done it. Afterall, it runs great on slower systems, is more stable than xp due to a newer kernal, and there are complete guides to make Server2003 run just like an XP workstation such as this one:
    http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/

it loads more stuff during bootup though... therefore you have longer boot times.. which is something we are trying to eliminate...

however.. if you do use hibernate/standby it can be a viable option... although in my experience.. its not XP that causes a pc to crash.. its more often than not the software you run on it...
    Pentium 4m 1.5GHz|MB896|Roadie Extreme|XM-Direct|Rikaline 6010|T-View 7"|Streetdeck|160gb Western Digital|1Gb DDR2-533 Ram

Comment

Interesting... but my first reaction was WHY?
      We run 14 2k3 servers here all are pretty stable untill either a patch for M$ is applied or we do something to hork it up. I know a ton of services can load on 2k3, and it looks like it can be scaled down it that article.

Is xp home/pro THAT unstable to have to install server 2k3?
      03' Toyota Tundra T3 Special Edition - Polk Audio speakers - Sony 4ch amp - RF Sub amp
      Carputer Planning |---------*|
      Overall Implementation |---------*-|
      (Stereo complete)
      Computer installed and working

Comment

I use 2003, it's fast on bootup. The main reason is I don't want to use a keyboard and if XP chokes in restoring the hibernation file, you get prompted to continue booting or delete the hibernation file. 2003 doesn't do that, if it chokes, it'll just try restoring the file be default, no need for a keyboard.

Comment

Windows 2003 is a very sleek and sexy operating system! I used to run it as a desktop OS after following a guide like the one mentioned to make it more like a workstation OS.

I'd still be running it today, if it weren't for games like Doom3 that *REQUIRE* windows XP, and won't run otherwise (unless you get a patch..)

I wonder if we could get a project like nlite started for Win2k3 ... but probably not likely, since Windows Vista is right around the corner..

Comment

nlite already works for win2k3

Comment

Originally posted by mattress
              Windows 2003 is a very sleek and sexy operating system! I used to run it as a desktop OS after following a guide like the one mentioned to make it more like a workstation OS.

I'd still be running it today, if it weren't for games like Doom3 that *REQUIRE* windows XP, and won't run otherwise (unless you get a patch..)

I wonder if we could get a project like nlite started for Win2k3 ... but probably not likely, since Windows Vista is right around the corner..
              Actually you can grab Application Toolkit @ MS for free and then emulate XP when installing....it's a matter of minutes and you will be able to install pretty much anything on a 2003 box
              The stayaway's are AV's ofcourse...but apart from that...no prob.

Comment

Originally posted by mattress

if by around the corner you mean a year or two, then yeah maybe vista is around the corner, but vista still runs like crap on today's systems (which by the time vista comes out will be)

Comment

I have a dual boot on the car system
                  Win 2003 Server
                  Win XP Pro w/ Mac U/I ( default 3 sec delay )

Comment

other Apps needed

hi all

if i use Media Portal as shell, i just dont know how to get the other prgrams running....

im using the following as a frontend:
                    C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.exe

But i need following Startup entries to start
                    C:\Program Files\SOUNDGRAPH\iMON\iMON.exe /startup (<-dont know if i need the startup command)
                    C:\Program Files\Motherboard Monitor 5\MBM5.exe
                    C:\Program Files\SlySoft\AnyDVD\AnyDVD.exe

help would be greatly apreciated...

Comment

Originally posted by xxxomxxx
                      hi all

if i use Media Portal as shell, i just dont know how to get the other prgrams running....

im using the following as a frontend:
                      C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MediaPortal.exe

But i need following Startup entries to start
                      C:\Program Files\SOUNDGRAPH\iMON\iMON.exe /startup (<-dont know if i need the startup command)
                      C:\Program Files\Motherboard Monitor 5\MBM5.exe
                      C:\Program Files\SlySoft\AnyDVD\AnyDVD.exe

help would be greatly apreciated...
                      First, this has nothing to do with this thread.
                      Second, this has been brought up already. Go check out the FAQ Emporium. I believe the answer you seek is there.
                      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by LittleDragon
                        I use 2003, it's fast on bootup. The main reason is I don't want to use a keyboard and if XP chokes in restoring the hibernation file, you get prompted to continue booting or delete the hibernation file. 2003 doesn't do that, if it chokes, it'll just try restoring the file be default, no need for a keyboard.

interesting, but wouldnt you still have to hit f8 to bring up the prompt thats gives you the option to continue booting or delete the hib. file
                        [M10K][TinyXP][Roadrunner Frontend][OEM Enclosure]
                        [iGmon]
                        Download MP3 MixTapes

Comment

Originally posted by LittleDragon
                          ou do have a point but it is a little overkill as you have the reset button if all else fails.

Terran
                          My Project Site

Comment

Originally posted by ccsnet
                            ou do have a point but it is a little overkill as you have the reset button if all else fails.

Terran
                            What he is talking about is the situation when the XP recover from hibernation mode fails. After this, XP will not boot until you plug in a keyboard and choose either "delete hibernation file and boot normally" or "try again". Win2k3 deletes this file by default and boots normally if hibernation fails(i think).

I really hate this in XP, becuase it is the only thing I ever need a keyboard for during "normal" operation of my CarPC.

Comment

Working...
                            X