Help Neede @ My Life End With Cf & Xp

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Neede @ My Life End With Cf & Xp

Yeah i am a n00b and i have searched but i need help.

I am 4 CF cards and a few CF-IDE connectors down and alot of money down the drain lighter.

I cant install XP and get it running on CF.
    SP13000.
    Kingston high speed 4BG CF.
    Tranquil pc IDE-CF Adapter.

1:-I have tried to install stright to CF but i cant get the paging file active so i cant update windows or install net-framework,autoroute etc etc

2:-I have installed onto a normal harddrive and then tried to ghost it over, cant get it to work. closest i get it is stuck on the window screen.

HOW THE HELL DO I DO IT !!!! after 15 installs of window 98, ME, XP , XP PRO, XP HOME, XP TALBLET, XP CORP etc etc ...

Please help noob newbie to achive his goal. MAYBE AN IDIOTS GUIDE.

Thanks in advance from the UK
    Visit my web site

www.westfield-turbo.co.uk

Posting the same thing 5 times is not a good way to attract attention around here!
    Fox Mulder
    2004 Toyota MR2
    Modified Intel Xeon E5450 3Ghz Quad Core 2GB RAM 160GB SSD M4ATX Xenarc 700TSV TS Toslink Audio BU353 DiNovo Mini Car2PC ODBII Bluetooth HF 16x2 Character LCD

Comment

Sorry my PC froze and as usual i hit send a number of times...

SORRY GUYS Please help...was not done on purpose
      Visit my web site

Comment

As long as it wasn't intentional!
        I dont know too much about installing windows on a cf card but here goes:
        It seems windows has a problem with the page file being on the cf card, this may be because the cf card has a limited number of read/write cycles. But then windows should just treat it as any normal drive and just use it untill it eventually dies from to many reads/writes.

It's a mystery to me!
        Fox Mulder
        2004 Toyota MR2
        Modified Intel Xeon E5450 3Ghz Quad Core 2GB RAM 160GB SSD M4ATX Xenarc 700TSV TS Toslink Audio BU353 DiNovo Mini Car2PC ODBII Bluetooth HF 16x2 Character LCD

Comment

Originally posted by Enforcer
          truth being out there
          a conspiarcy

I was waiting till I had some proof of aliens (and of course the government) preventing him from loading XP on the CF Card
          Fox Mulder
          2004 Toyota MR2

Comment

You can install windows onto the drive, but you must get a utility from the card maker to switch it to fixed disk mode so that windows will not freak out on it. The other thing your going to need to do is install EWF (Enhanced Write Filter) or your cards are going to be dead within a few days.

If you can find it your much better of going with Windows XP embedded, i've got it running on a 1gb flash card with no problems at all.
            肚子笑痛了
            S60 Install

Comment

http://osf1.gmu.edu/~sfiorito/eXPinstall.htm
              EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
              Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
              OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
              Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
              BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
              VoomPC 2

Comment

Is the embedded way a big hasstle.
                I just want the pc running with miniml apps.
                can somebody point me to the link which is entiled " how to install windows xp to cf in easy steps"

Worth a try

cheers
                Visit my web site

Comment

Originally posted by SFiorito

thanks!
                  肚子笑痛了
                  S60 Install

Comment

Originally posted by scooby8272
                    Sorry my PC froze and as usual i hit send a number of times...

SORRY GUYS Please help...was not done on purpose
                    Dupes deleted. Good luck.
                    Originally posted by ghettocruzer
                    I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
                    Want to:
                    -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
                    -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Do you have to use the embedded route.
                      I take it i install windows 1st onto a clean drive then do the above ?

How do you prep the card for the copy over ?
                      Visit my web site

Comment

Read SF's documentation. But to simplify the process here you go :

1.) Install a Stable Nlited version of XP on a regular IDE harddrive

2.) Optimize the XP installation by deleting uneeded stuff, disabling pagefil.sys install ALL drivers and make sure every device you plan to use in the car is working properly with XP on the IDE drive. I can't stress enough how important this is.

3.) Go ahead and Get EWF and Minlogon enabled into your XP. Make sure ALL the devices you plan on using are CONNECTED

4.) Reboot the machine to ensure EWF + MINLOGON is working properly and all your devices (including your USB ones) are still working properly.

5.) Now REMOVE ALL DEVICES, except the 3.5" floppy drive. This include the IDE harddive

6.) Connect the CF - IDE adapter with CF card and run bootprep from a FLOPPY. Note: BOOTPREP must be run from a floppy, don't try it from a bootable cd or dvd or usb flash device because it won't work.

7.) Format your CF card with Format c: /s and reboot your machine

8.) If you see a command prompt you're almost home free. Now type the command format c:

9.) Connect your CF card and IDE drive to another computer and boot to windows.

10.) In explorer select all from the IDE harddrive and copy it to the root of the CF card. In the end both drives should look identical. You may want to enable the viewing of hidden files if your windows machine doesn't have it enabled already.

11.) Plug the CF card back into your carpc and boot it up!

12.) Check to see if EWF is working properly, if its not you may have to re-do the EWF procedure to get it working.

oh yah, your CF card doesn't have to be considered a fixed disk in order for XP to work. However if your planning a setup that will hibernate or go into standby then you do. XP freezes when a shutdown/hibernate/standby message is given to the system its a known issue and there's no workaround...
                        Progress [I will seriously never be done!]
                        Via EPIA MII
                        512MB RAM
                        OEM GPS (embedded)
                        nLite WinXP pro on
                        1GB Extreme III CF card
                        Carnetix 1260 startup/ DC-DC regulator
                        Software: Still, re-Writing my existing front end in .Net

Comment

Thats awesome man helps alot,
                          where do i get bootprep from
                          Visit my web site

Comment

Working...
                          X