Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possible to flash BIOS/Install XP from Flash drive?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to flash BIOS/Install XP from Flash drive?

My carputer is been acting funny lately, crashing sometimes after resume from standby, and sometimes not POSTing upon resume/boot. (all I get is the blue/white VIA splash screen as it locks up). I think I am going to re-flash the BIOS to the latest version, and reformat the HD, then reinstall XP. I looked in the system log, and there are no entries in there that I think would cause the problems.
    my system info is below:
    Win XP Pro
    VIA SP-1300 (bought it just as it hit the market)
    Road Runner
    250Gb HD
    No CD drive (two external USB ports)

Question is, can I flash the BIOS using a USB flash drive?
    Can I re-install XP using my flash drive (XP .iso on 1Gb flash drive)

I don't have a CD drive available, but I do have a laptop, External 300Gb drive (USB). Can I se either of these to help re-install? Thanks.
    WORKLOG

Asus P5N73-AN Mobo/Celeron E1400 2Ghz Dual Core CPU/2Gb GEIL PC3200/120GB HDD/DSATX PS/8" Phylon TS
    Webpage

42 views, and no one knows? I know u can boot from a flash drive, but can u install?
    WORKLOG

Asus P5N73-AN Mobo/Celeron E1400 2Ghz Dual Core CPU/2Gb GEIL PC3200/120GB HDD/DSATX PS/8" Phylon TS
    Webpage

Comment

Haven't done this myself, but I imagine if you create a bootable dos image on the USB flash drive and then load your bios image and bios flashing program on the flash drive you should be set. Try searching "usb stick dos boot" you'll get a bunch of hits.
      Carputer installed!!!
      Nlited XP+Minlogon, EpiaM10k, 512mb, Seagate 40 gig 2.5" HD, FM Dlink usb radio, DWL122 USB Wifi, XMD1000 tuner, PT5071 6 amp regulator, Xenarc 700TSV, and 1 ikea key box.

Comment

Thanks! I'll Try That.
        WORKLOG

Webpage

Comment

I love blasting the past!

did anyone ever find a way of doing this, would be handy to know for the community in case we ever have to do this from the car!

cheers!
          CarPuter Progress:
          Planning:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
          Hardware Buying:-> [||||||||||] 100%
          Software:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
          Installing:-----> [||||||||||] 100%
          Current Project= Making skins in photoshop...

Comment

Working...
          X