Impressed w/NLITE Boot Time: 14 Secs & 2 Probs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impressed w/NLITE Boot Time: 14 Secs & 2 Probs

Okay so I finally tried NLite after reading so many threads. My ISO size was 176 Mb and my final size on HD is 567MB with no page file. I'm amazed at my boot time of 14secs to active desktop. Oh, I'm also using minlogon.

Now here are my two problems:

1) Edit: Found another thread with Same Prob

2) I no longer have the hibernation tab in power options. I like to use hibernation and want to compare timings to regular boot.

Any help is appreciated...

did you have hibernation disabled in nLite? also, did you install your drivers?
    EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
    Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
    OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
    Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
    BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
    VoomPC 2

Comment

I didn't see any option for hibernation in nlite and I've yet to install original drivers. I'm going to give that a try...

Comment

Its under the Unattended section - General tab

Comment

I tried nLite twice- both times with similar settings and things removed (pretty common things disabled).

Making a bootable XP SP1 during install it would load all the drivers, and then tell me a critical setup file was missing (this happened twice with two CDs).

But I'm jealous of that boot time, just can't be arsed to reformat. Did you find minlogon made a significant difference?
          Voom PC case, M1-ATX, EPIA M10000, 512mb RAM, External 5.1 audio, Alpine 50w x 4 amp, 7" Lilliput in dash, WinTV USB TV/FM, RR, Autoroute & Infomap Navigator 4, Gatso Hunter.

Comment

For the hibernation problem, make sure you have the correct graphics drivers installed.

Comment

Yeh, installing original drivers fixed the hibernation issue...

Comment

Originally posted by meetmandeep
                Yeh, installing original drivers fixed the hibernation issue...
                So whats your hibernate times?
                -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

I would like to know this as well.

Comment

Ditto.

Just to compare with nlite- mine's 24 sec with standard xp pro sp1 with the usual and obvious tweaks (autologon, services stopped etc) on an m10000.
                    Voom PC case, M1-ATX, EPIA M10000, 512mb RAM, External 5.1 audio, Alpine 50w x 4 amp, 7" Lilliput in dash, WinTV USB TV/FM, RR, Autoroute & Infomap Navigator 4, Gatso Hunter.

Comment

Almost Instantaneous...

Less than 2 Secs (Excluding Post)

Around 5 Secs (Including Post)

But again, I've yet to install any software (Front End, iGuidance, etc...) These benchmarks are with Clean OS only

Originally posted by antimatter
                      So whats your hibernate times?

Comment

I'm sure this will be next question...

I'm running P4 3.0GHZ with 512MB Ram (running XP Pro SP2)

I'm merely using this to test nlite...this is not my carputer specs

Comment

Originally posted by meetmandeep
                          I'm sure this will be next question...

I'm running P4 3.0GHZ with 512MB Ram (running XP Pro SP2)

I'm merely using this to test nlite...this is not my carputer specs
                          That is very good, but I rekon the lack of any software, services and very good specs make it an unfair comparison!!

If you have the time, perhaps load on all the services you would need to run say RR, I can see this adding an extra 10 seconds.

The bios on an M10000 is also much slower than your P4. About 5 secs on mine. Then you have the 5 second wait the M1-ATX does before booting.

Would be good to see if we can get some accurate readings on a couple of different setups comparing xp home, pro, XPE SP1 and SP2. Only if anyone has too much free time though!

Comment

I'll be reinstalling OS on my carputer in a week or so with nlite and minlogon...I'll update the board on my speeds (I use centrafuse, iGuidance, PhoneControl, etc...)

My Specs for carputer are 1GHZ Athlon w/ 256MB ram

Comment

I reckon we should plot a table and create some graphs (obviously will be tricky with different hardware setups, but the more data the better). At the moment it just seems to be people's own experiences and opinions on which is quickest, what is best etc. Doing a search there's lots of good advice, some contradiction and a little ****e about it on this forum.

Bios bootup time
                              Windows bootup time

Some factors which may influence the results
                              OS + SPs
                              Win/min logon
                              Services enabled/disabled
                              Paging file enabled/disable
                              Flash or fixed media to store OS
                              Hardware
                              - Board
                              - Processor
                              - RAM

Can anyone think of a good way of collecting some data to help identify the most significant factors to affect a computer's bootup time? And subsequently a recommendation of hardware, OS tweaking, which OS + SPs and bios settings.

Keeping this a fair test won't be easy.

Comment

Working...
                              X