Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Important update on dealing with the "fixed" vs removable drive issue...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important update on dealing with the "fixed" vs removable drive issue...

Guys, while keeping up with Dietmar's thread on USB booting I saw that he mentioned something called the Hitachi Microdrive Filter driver from XPe Files....Turns out it's a filter driver that makes any removable drive appear as fixed to XP. This means any drive (either external or with an adapter) can be partitioned or formatted ad NTFS. More importantly this takes care of the ACPI issues we were having with the ExtremeIII cards!!! I just tested this on my ExtremeIII card installed in a USB CF card reader.

To get the driver go here: http://www.xpefiles.com/viewtopic.php?t=92

Unzip the files and open the cfadisk.inf file. In the [cfadisk_device] section add a line for your device. You'll have to do this by opening up regedit and going to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum and from there it depends if it's a USB drive (USBSTOR), IDE (IDE), etc. You need to copy the HardwareID registry value for your device.

For my USB CF card reader it was located in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\U SBSTOR\Disk&Ven_Generic&Prod_______________CF&Rev_ 1.6E\0000001&0

So in the INF file I added the following line:

%Microdrive_devdesc% = cfadisk_install,USBSTOR\DiskGeneric_______________ CF1.6E

Then you just go to the properties for that drive and manually select a newer driver and install the cfadisk.inf drive. That's it...So now if you want to use an ExtremeIII CF card (or any other card for that matter) you can simply install this driver and you're set.
    EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
    Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
    OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
    Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
    BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
    VoomPC 2

aw man! and I JUST installed my ultra II...oh well...it's just money right?

Comment

lol....you don't want to know how much money i've spent on mobo's and flash drives... yet i still don't have a system installed in my car yet!!!! i just have fun screwing around with XP and get distracted easily....

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
      VoomPC 2

Comment

Wow dude, all those posts and no system IN the car...Somebody give this guy a hand!

Comment

it's because i keep coming up with "newer and greater" ideas...that and I'm just trying to do waaay too much...custom frontend, more work on my old XP System Builder app (I'm actually doing some work on that now and I'm sooooo close to making some pretty cool things possible), plus school, work, girlfriend, so on...I actually didn't get a chance to do anything since September because this semester was kicking my ***.

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
          VoomPC 2

Comment

uhhhh.......well.....it looks like maybe i got ahead of myself....because my system still freezes with the fixed disk filter when I try to use ACPI Standby.... that totally sucks!!!

but, on a good note I'm booting my system from my ExtremeIII CF card in the USB card reader! Dietmar's instructions are a lot easier than they seem. I'll post up a registry file to make things easier tomorrow. i'm gonna try it out on an actual USB thumbdrive eventually....

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
            VoomPC 2

Comment

Very interesting info, thanks SF - your posts are always an inspiration for those of us that play with XPe
              www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

So what would the process be to install a system with this?

1. Install on a regular hard drive as usual.
                2. Setup this new filter
                3. Image to CF card.

Is that it?

Comment

more or less, yeah. you would still need EWF though if you're using a flash drive of course. the nice thing is that this opens up the possibility of using the other EWF modes on "removable" drives (hidden partition with the overlays, instead of RAM-REG mode).

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                  VoomPC 2

Comment

So overall, its better getting an extreme III instead of the ultra, or are there any downsides of using Extreme. (is it more difficult to get it as a fixed drive)

Final Touches

Car: 2002 Mitsubishi Magna EI
                    CarPC: SP13000, M2-ATX, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB 2.5" HD, X-Fi Sound Card, Xenarc 700TSV, Garmin 18 USB.
                    Audio: 2X15" Rockford Punch Z, 1 Rockford Punch 2-ch Amp, 1 Soundstream Lil Wonder II 4-ch Amp

Comment

well even with this fixed drive filter ACPI still does not work....so: if you don't plan on using ACPI then I would say get the ExtremeIII, otherwise get an UltraII or ExtremeI.

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                      VoomPC 2

Comment

you mean if i use extremeIII, i can't hibernate??
                        ok, does hibernation make it noticebly faster with CF cards. or it's not worth the extra space.

(i still don't understand the issue of hibernation & USB)

Final Touches

CarPC: SP13000, M2-ATX, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB 2.5" HD, X-Fi Sound Card, Xenarc 700TSV, Garmin 18 USB.
                        Audio: 2X15" Rockford Punch Z, 1 Rockford Punch 2-ch Amp, 1 Soundstream Lil Wonder II 4-ch Amp

Comment

basically there's something in XP that causes it to freeze hard (not even a blue screen) when you try to hibernate or standby with a main drive that is "removable". I hoped that this Hitachi Fixed Drive Filter would help, but it didn't. It's gotta be something low-level on the CF card's controller.

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                          VoomPC 2

Comment

so if money is'nt an obstacle, & performance wise, do u advise with Ultra II + hibernation (1GB) or extreme III (512MB). (taking into account that without hibernation i'd need a smaller CF)

Final Touches

Comment

well, if money wasn't an obstacle i'd go with the USB uDOC which supports hibernation and is faster than any other flash medium out there. otherwise, i'd go with the UltraII/ExtremeI and use a combination Standby/HORM. But you may want to consider a 2GB drive for whatever flash device you finally decide on because if you want to run a GPS program the maps take up a lot of space.

Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                              VoomPC 2

Comment

Working...
                              X