minlogon integrated directly to nLite image

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• minlogon integrated directly to nLite image

Does anyone have know how to integrate minlogon directly to nLite created file structure before an ISO is created?

bump

Comment

I don`t really see how this be done with nlite.
      You could apply the minlogon.exe over the winlogon.exe within the cab files in i386 folder however..
      when you do your install windows, it will crash out and reboot because you need to apply the registry hack:

Code:
      Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

"Config"=dword:00000017
      It is alot quicker and easier to do it following sfiorito instructions
      http://mason.gmu.edu/~sfiorito/eXPinstall.htm

Alternatively this post may be better in the nliteos forums they have more experience

If you are having problems with over writing the 470kb winlogon.exe with the 17kb minlogon.exe someone has created a quick app on the forums some where I saw it a couple days ago whilsts

Alternively try my method:

goto:
      windows/system32/dllcache
      right click select properties of winlogon.exe untick the readonly box.

do the same with
      windows/system32/winlogon.exe

rename minlogon.exe to winlogon.exe copy it and paste it over
      windows/system32/dllcache

Quickly select
      windows/system32/
      and paste the copy into here aswell.

if you do it before the 5-10 second refresh of dllcache then your new copy will be inplace

if you need to check you have the correct versions in place do a reboot go back into both directories and the file size should be 17kb not 490kb of winlogon.exe if they are 490kb then you were too slow and the refresh occured

Please make sure you have taken a back up of the original 490kb winlogon.exe
      AND BEFORE THE REBOOT MAKE SURE YOU APPLY THE REGISTRY HACK or your computer will constantly reboot with the new winlogon 17kb in place; i have done this. :P

now give it a go..
      I have done this on 4 different machines with no probs

Comment

Thanks Slash... actually I have no problem to replace winlogon with minlogon once WinXP has been fully installed. Its just I am very lazy to do it everytime I do a fresh install to test something new (new nLite release, new drivers, new ideas,...). As I do it few times a week I was hoping someone outthere is lazy as me and he figured out how to save himself from mouseclicks and unnecesarry reboots...

Comment

well if you manage to get your nlite setup under 200mb Id be interested in seeing your .ini file

my installation is just under 700mb

Comment

you need to add the registry setting in the HIVESYS.inf file and just replace the winlogon.ex_ file in I386 with the minlogon file. i always disable SFC so I don't worry about DllCache, etc. unfortunately I don't have an example of what the INF entry should look like, but you should be able to figure it out based on other DWORD entries in that file. just place it along other \Winlogon\ entries.
            EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
            Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
            OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
            Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
            BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
            VoomPC 2

Comment

Guess I am doing something wrong... I have added following line to HIVESYS.inf just to see if it gets added to registry correctly but its simply not there upon install
              HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon","Config",0x00000017,2

Comment

oops..sorry, it should be in HIVESFT.inf, not HIVESYS....
                EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
                Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
                Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
                BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
                VoomPC 2

Comment

thanks Silvio, that did the trick. However, it seems there is something different wrong again - when I replace winlogon.ex_ with ´minlogon versoin (UNCOMPRESSED BY THE WAY) the install freezez on first boot to GUI right after files are copied in text mode. Do you think I should compress winlogon.exe somehow to get .ex_ format? If yes, how do I do it?

Comment

bump anyone?

Comment

OK I found an elegant solution. Winlogon can not be replaced that way outlined above, the reason is instalation freezes after first boot, probably beacuse of the way instalator handles user accounts. Anyway, the solution to this is to create a .CAB file containing silent installer that replaces winlogon with minlogon and imports its registry keys and integrate this .CAB add-on as an hotfix within nLite. This way, no manual steps are needed.
                      Simple, elegant.
                      I have tested first version of installer. Its not fully silent as there is Regedit popup on first boot asking for your confirmation to import minlogon registry key - this will be fixed in next release along with script to delete OEMBIOS.* files (no longer needed with minlogon - bye bye and unused user accounts).
                      For anyone interested, I can post add-on here upon request.

Comment

Update: second version of minlogon add-on is available.
                        Changes:
                        a) completelly silent
                        b) removes OEMBIOS.* files within SYSTEM32 folder (no longer needed with minlogon)

Comment

I'll bite... setting up my first nlite config now, i could use the addon. Thanks!

Comment

I'd like to give this a try too. I have a partition on my carputer that I use for testing out different nlite installs. Still havent gotten the perfect install yet so this will be quite useful for me.
                            Carputer installed!!!
                            Nlited XP+Minlogon, EpiaM10k, 512mb, Seagate 40 gig 2.5" HD, FM Dlink usb radio, DWL122 USB Wifi, XMD1000 tuner, PT5071 6 amp regulator, Xenarc 700TSV, and 1 ikea key box.

Comment

All right, here you go:

Minlogon nLite add-on, rev. 02

Instructions: integrate in nLite as normal hotfix. Note that I only tested this add-n with WFP disabled. I do not think this add-on will ever work if you keep WFP enabled.

Once the nLited WinXP is installed, you will be running with minlogon automatically. No more registry hacking, no messing with winlogon executable, no reboots.
                              If you are perfectictonist like me, you might want to delete winlogon.--- file from SYSTEM32 folder as this is leftover that can not be deleted from within add-on itself. You also might want to delete any remaining user account, including Administrator one, as only Default user is used with minlogon.

Comment

Working...
                              X