Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dos bootdisk problem :/

ok downloaded bootdisk from bootdisk.com
    when I load up dos on boot I can detect a/b: Floppy drive and c: Master drive but I am having trouble finding the d: secondary drive?

Any ideas what I`m doing wrong?

I have checked the bios and both hard drives are detected just one isn`t being shown in dos, is there something wrong with my bootdisk?

Clues would be good. Is second drive SATA or IDE. How are they connected to the mobo (primary/secondary, master/slave). What is LASTDRIVE set to on the boot disk. Is the drive FAT16, FAT32 or NTFS, or something else? What version dos is the bootdisk?
    Old Systems retired due to new car
    New system at design/prototype stage on BeagleBoard.

Comment

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
      V. Dos 6

Both drives are IDE
      1 is on the primary drive this is the CF card
      the other is a hard drive conected to the secondary set as Default CS

1 is fat the other is ntfs

What elese do you needto know
      I think it is the bootdisk which is setup wrong because I can plug the hard drive into the primary and detect it as C:

Comment

dos won't read ntfs. there is your problem.

Comment

ok Thanks
          Time to redo my XP installation as fat32 somehow..
          hmm.

Comment

if you have the disk from bootdisk.com... it has the fdisk utility. you can delete the partition (under non-dos partitions) and create one then format it all from dos (formating will be in fat32. anyways, if you plan on installing windows xp, ntfs would be more efficient for you. who needs dos today?

edit: oops, sorry just saw you are using a CF. I think (not sure) that fat32 is better for CFs (as it reduces writes to the disk).

Final Touches

Car: 2002 Mitsubishi Magna EI
            CarPC: SP13000, M2-ATX, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB 2.5" HD, X-Fi Sound Card, Xenarc 700TSV, Garmin 18 USB.
            Audio: 2X15" Rockford Punch Z, 1 Rockford Punch 2-ch Amp, 1 Soundstream Lil Wonder II 4-ch Amp

Comment

ok now I`m confused...

To Copy WinXP from Hard drive to CF.

The Hard Drive has to be FAT32 so that DOS can see hard drive to allow me to do an xcopy to CF card?
              If hard drive is NTFS I can`t see the Hard drive and can`t do an xcopy.

right?

I`m going to go do some

Comment

Don't even hope that you'll be able to copy files from a file system that uses long filenames using dos, and it'll survive. Yet alone copying from an NTFS format.

Either format the drive and start again, or give up on using DOS.

Xcopy won't copy the bootsector you'll need to preserve either.

Alternatively, boot into XP and copy using that - at least you can copy your data that way

Comment

Final Touches

Car: 2002 Mitsubishi Magna EI
                  CarPC: SP13000, M2-ATX, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB 2.5" HD, X-Fi Sound Card, Xenarc 700TSV, Garmin 18 USB.
                  Audio: 2X15" Rockford Punch Z, 1 Rockford Punch 2-ch Amp, 1 Soundstream Lil Wonder II 4-ch Amp

Comment

I'd give knoppix a shot, its a bootable linux system which can mount both your drives and run it all off of the cd.
                    Current projects: iGmod reloaded (Latest release) (put on hiatus indefinatly)

Unlimited Internet and gps tracking for $6 a month with boost mobile!

Carputer 2: www.lmaocar.com

Comment

I was just at that site and he has NTFS bootdisks as well. I think you might have to pay $3 or $4 for access to them however.

http://www.bootdisk.com/ntfs.htm

Biostar M7NCG 400 ver 7.2 AMD Mobile Athlon 1.1GHz (@ 1GHz), Kingston PC2700 512mb WD 80gig HD Custom Case Opus 150W PS Lilliput 7" TS D-Link DBT-120 BT D-Link DWL-G122 WiFi Holux GR-231 GPS nLited XP Pro iGuidance RoadRunner frontend

Comment

you can possibly move the whole setup over by using Norton Ghost or Drive Image or similar program.

You can always throw the CF card and the hard drive in another computer running xp or similar that will read both of them if you want to try copying it, but imaging is better.
                        Sell me your stuff.. please see what i'm looking to buy
                        http://mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75182

Comment

Formatted drive installed fat32 on 9gb HD
                          Gonna give xcopy another go

Comment

Working...
                          X