Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Fast XP bootup! - Gigabyte I-Ram card

http://www.fazed.org/video/embed/?id=95

Here's a video of a computer rebooting with the Gigabyte I-Ram card. This is a PCI card that runs up to 4 DDR DIMMs with an onboard battery to keep the contents saved for up to 16 hours while the PC is powered off.

Id love to see that card in my foxconn motherboard. The bios post on that one was soooo long if it was quick like mine a normal bootup would be less then 10 seconds **** can't even begin to think what hibernate would be or if it would be worth it lol...

check my car thread for the video
    2005 Ford Mustang GT <- - - UPDATED PICTURES

2003 KAWASAKI Z1000 - CUSTOM MODZ

MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

Comment

damn, thats sick.
      Hey Laserlips, your momma was a snowblower!!

Comment

DAMN! I want!
        mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
        Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
        Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Damn, that thing is sexy

Comment

Yea i saw this too. Not really pratical for the car though. Since the I-ram uses DRAM as its storage it is volatile meaning that when not supplied with power the memory loses all data. To combat this Gigabyte put a battery on the board which gets power via the PCI bus when the computer is on. Sources I have seen say that Gigabyte says tha the battery will last around 10 hours. Yea 10 hours is a while but sometimes you leave your car off for longer than 10 hours right?

Anyways its impractical but I'm sure somebody will hack it to draw power directly from the car battery or something which then would be very cool 8 )

Just wanted to get that 10 hours thing out there.
            2003 Subaru Impreza TS
            Staus: Done.. too lazy to make pictures lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Maeveth
              Anyways its impractical but I'm sure somebody will hack it to draw power directly from the car battery or something which then would be very cool 8 )
              Thats the first thing that i thought of when i read the article on it... It wouldnt take much at all to power it contstantly.
              1997 Saturn SL2 Car PC Status [..........] 0% Complete (Removed)
              1999 Honda Accord Car PC Status [::::::::..] 80% Complete (Setting up software before final install)

Comment

i wonder how much draw it has
                -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

According to thie site the battery pack has 1600mAh and since the life estimate is 10 hours... guess it draws 160mA/hour though im sure thats dependent on what size modules your using(more chips draw more power)

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q1...m/index.x?pg=1

Edit: the link actually has a picture of the pack. It says 1700mAh so... 170mA/h
                  2003 Subaru Impreza TS

Comment

which is a huge consumption.. it will dry your battery in a matter of hours and it will kill your battery in weeks..
                    Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi

Intel Mini-ITX Mainboard
                    Celeron 1.2ghz
                    256mb DDR-2 533
                    80gig 3.5" SATA HDD
                    Sb Live 5.1 w/ KXProject Drivers
                    M2-ATX
                    8" Lilliput TS LCD

100% installed and working :D

Comment

what about if you're in standby?

Comment

Originally posted by senseless228
                        what about if you're in standby?
                        Can't see how it would matter. It's the refreshing of the ram that consumes the power. If you don't refresh, the memory is lost. I'm not as current as I could be these days on PC hardware, but I don't think going into standby has any effect on refresh rates.
                        GE Cache Builder | [email protected] |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

Comment

It doesnt matter if your on standby. Standby is one of two things

1. Actual standby which stores the current state of the computer onto the system RAM which again requires power to maintain the data. Power is still however not fed to the PCI bus.

2. Some people confuse standby with hibernation which instead of storing data on RAM it stores the data on your HDD allowing the computer to use no power.

Just wanted to clear this up for clairity's sake even though its not directly related to the topic.

To the topic of what if your on standby. Well it doesnt matter RAM always requires the same amount of power to maintain the data regardless of the state of the computer.
                          2003 Subaru Impreza TS

Comment

there would have to be a setup that the ram can be reloaded with an image if the memory is erased...
                            MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it gets its power from the PCI bus even when the computer is turned off provided that the motherboard is supplied with juice from the power supply. Here is the math I'm thinking:

Optima Battery / PCI Card Draw = Time Before Complete Discharge
                              55000mAh / 170mA = 323 hours or appx two weeks

So is it safe to say you can have a week between driving before you have trouble? To bad they don't make a minipci version. I just went for the Aopen Pandora.

Jon

Comment

Working...
                              X