Best way to create an image of disk for backup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to create an image of disk for backup

I have finally got an install which works well for me, based on TinyXP v4. Boot time isn't great so I still want to "tinker", but this gives me a problem. I have two partitions set up, the primary is FAT32 and the other is NTFS !

Before I moved to the NTFS format, I used to use Knoppix, to create a full workable copy, and then go back to windows and burn the files to a CD.

Can any of the ISO burners do an image copy that can be restored if required if any of my tinkering goes wrong.

KPJUK
    M1000, 512MB, 512MB CF, 6GB Disk (4200rpm),
    DVD/RW, Dynamix 8" screen, M2-ATX, Custom case,Too many hours building and rebuilding and rebuild.......

I use Symantec Ghost.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Thanks for the response DP, i have been looking to see if I can get the full image on a Bart PE disk. I will let you know how I get on.

cheers
      KPJ
      DVD/RW, Dynamix 8" screen, M2-ATX, Custom case,Too many hours building and rebuilding and rebuild.......

Comment

Well, I have downloaded BartPE from www.nu2.nu, and created with my OS and SP2 disks at the ready, I created my bootable CD image, which came out at around 150Mb. This boots an XP environment from the CD, which will read and write NTFS volumes.

Once booted, I copied all files in drive c: to drive d:\backup. I then had to copy this image onto my laptop which had the PEBuilder setup on it, and using UltraISO added the backup files to the PE boot disk.

This gave me a boot disk with my install on it, minus the hiderfil.sys and pagefil.sys.

Sorted !

KPJUK

Comment

Working...
        X