Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fake Sandisk Ultra II CF cards on eBay

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fake Sandisk Ultra II CF cards on eBay

    http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1029509288
    "I noticed that the packages had a different finish on them, and after investigating them a bit closer, I noticed a couple of other small differences as well. The model numbers were slightly different, and the barcodes differed by 1 number. Those were my first clues. Next I checked the cards themselves. 2 of the cards had no edge stamp whatsoever, and the third card had an edge stamp with a serial number that is known to be used on counterfeit cards."

    I know this really isn't the correct section, but I figured more people that boot from CF cards would see it here. This is a big problem with many types of memory cards, memory stick, SD, CF, etc.
    http://members.shaw.ca/fakesandisk/
    http://martybugs.net/articles/fakesandisk.cgi

  • #2
    Thanks for the heads up

    Thinking about going down the CF route some day (probably this winter) and I was going to check Ebay, but I guess I won't now.

    Comment


    • #3
      now I'm wondering if my Transflash SanDisk memory card is real or not... hmm

      Comment


      • #4
        Well here is the deal. Some of these cards have faster transfer speeds and some can hold a little more, i.e. the fake SD card held 1.9GB vs. the real card which holds 1.8GB. On the other hand people have also received cards that won't work consistently or corrupt data and won't hold as much data as they say and have slower transfer speeds.

        Every person who has asked for a refund because the card isn't legit has received one, to my knowledge. You won't get the SanDisk lifetime warranty, but you are also paying about half the price so if you look at it in those terms you could buy two for the price of one.

        I say if you do buy one test the heck out of it as soon as you get it and if it isn't up to snuff contact the seller and tell them it's fake and you want your money back. For mission critical data I don’t think it’s worth the risk, but maybe for the car PC?

        Comment


        • #5
          We should not be on here promoting software piracy or any kind of black market or gray market hardware deals. Somebody somewhere is breaking the law and taking money out of someone else's pockets. Put a lid on it.
          ~Jimmy

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JimmyFitz
            We should not be on here promoting software piracy or any kind of black market or gray market hardware deals. Somebody somewhere is breaking the law and taking money out of someone else's pockets. Put a lid on it.
            eBay is a black/grey hardware market!!!

            If it is cheap, then it is either broken, fake or has a $70 shipping cost. You know what you buy...
            Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
            1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
            30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
            15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
            Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

            Comment


            • #7

              A 30 bucks worth items, they sale for 99 cents and slap a 50 bucks S/H. That is a ******* legal way to cheat ebay listing fee. Nice. Isn't it?
              Anything you buy on ebay involve risk.
              BTW, no one on this thread has promote any type of piracy yet.
              Silentbob343 just point out the fact that there are fake stuff on ebay for us to be aware.
              Whether the item is fake or real, that is the job of SanDisk and ebay to police.
              2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
              89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
              Y2K Accord Dell GX150
              RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
              EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MatrixPC

                A 30 bucks worth items, they sale for 99 cents and slap a 50 bucks S/H. That is a ******* legal way to cheat ebay listing fee. Nice. Isn't it?
                Anything you buy on ebay involve risk.
                BTW, no one on this thread has promote any type of piracy yet.
                Silentbob343 just point out the fact that there are fake stuff on ebay for us to be aware.
                Whether the item is fake or real, that is the job of SanDisk and ebay to police.
                In my opinion post #1 was just a report but #4 is condoning the items. I work for a company whose largest customer is Sandisk. This IS money out of my pocket.
                ~Jimmy

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by JimmyFitz
                  In my opinion post #1 was just a report but #4 is condoning the items. I work for a company whose largest customer is Sandisk. This IS money out of my pocket.
                  Your company isn't going to loose that much money, because these cards will blow up and die eventually and the buyers will go, "Crap. Guess I should have just bought the real thing the first time". Then they tell their friends, and they don't buy the fake Hong Kong one, and they get the real stuff.

                  If someone can't afford the quality of a Sandisk or Mercedes, then they buy the ripoff, or the Kia!
                  Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                  1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                  30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                  15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                  Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Fake ones on the market drive down the price of the real ones. The biggest problem is that posts like this are not good for our forum sponsors mp3Car.com
                    ~Jimmy

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by JimmyFitz
                      We should not be on here promoting software piracy or any kind of black market or gray market hardware deals. Somebody somewhere is breaking the law and taking money out of someone else's pockets. Put a lid on it.
                      Whoa.......I was just letting people know what was up and buyer beware. Post 4 was because I didn't want people who purchased a card on ebay to automatically think their car is a ticking bomb and throw it out.

                      I was in no way promoting the purchase of these cards just giving out info for other members to make their decision.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I am in no way condoning it but its not illegal to sell "fakes" as long as you change certain aspect of the appearance. Its done all the time with sunglasses, watches and purses (Oakley=Foakley, Rolex, etc.) If they are truly breaking the law eBay will shut them down. If they aren't, people will figure out the cards are crap and buy the really thing eventually.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          do these fake SanDisk cards implement "TrueIDE" or whatever they call it? Could be why some people claim to have problems running XP on them.
                          EWF, HORM, MinLogon on XP.

                          Zotac ION Atom N330, 2GB low-profile RAM, M3-ATX
                          Win Embedded Std 2011 RC
                          OCZ Vertex Turbo 30GB SSD
                          Lilliput 629 Transflective, WRX Screen Mount
                          BlueSoleil BT, i-Blue GM-2 GPS, DirectedHD Radio, Andrea Mic
                          VoomPC 2

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by SFiorito
                            do these fake SanDisk cards implement "TrueIDE" or whatever they call it? Could be why some people claim to have problems running XP on them.
                            That i don't know. I would try and contact the owners of those sites and see if they can give you any more info.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by blkwrx
                              I am in no way condoning it but its not illegal to sell "fakes" as long as you change certain aspect of the appearance. Its done all the time with sunglasses, watches and purses (Oakley=Foakley, Rolex, etc.) If they are truly breaking the law eBay will shut them down. If they aren't, people will figure out the cards are crap and buy the really thing eventually.
                              A knockoff is a bit different than a counterfeit.

                              If someone gets a bad card that's labeled "SanDisk", then that can hurt SanDisk's reputation. If they labeled it "ShamDisk" or something, you're right.

                              The problem gets to be much worse in other categories. Like counterfeit rotors, brakes and suspensions.

                              They're not made as well, not tested and if they fail, can cause great harm.

                              A good deal of those former products on ebays are fakes, ebay doesn't have the resources to verify the legitimacy of all listings.
                              GE Cache Builder | [email protected] |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X