Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• minlogon and external hard drives?

Is there a known issue here?

I've recently reinstalled Windows in the car, and am utilizing minlogon.

Suddenly I can't get my external HD to show up. I can go to the device manager, and when I plug the drive in, the DM refreshes, but nothing seems to have changed.

I know the drive is good because I can plug it into my laptop and it works fine.

Anyone have any insight by chance?

TIA!
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Eversince i installed minlogon I always get a load of crazy problems. My cdrom rarely shows up, usb devices tend to no show up. I dont know whats up with minlogon.
    2002 Mitsubishi Galant
    Progress: 90% [-▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓- ->

Carputer Specs:
    Via M10K
    512mb Ram
    60GB HDD
    Souund Blaster Audigy2 NX
    OPUS ITX PC Case

Comment

good to know I'm not the only person with this issue.

Rather than giving up on it though, I'd like to at least give it a try to figure out what's going on.

Perhaps someone else in here with more knowledge and experience can give some insight?
      Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

I would contact Sfrito, he seems to know his **** with minlogon and EWF
        2002 Mitsubishi Galant

Carputer Specs:
        Via M10K
        512mb Ram
        60GB HDD
        OPUS ITX PC Case

Comment

my external HD works, but I have issues with my CD drive too. I'm not sure if that's down to minlogon or what, as I never tried it when I didnt' haev minlogon.

will be interesting to see why!
          Current:
          [BMW E46 ///M3 Convertible]

Previous:
          [BMW E31 850CSi]|[BMW E39 535i]|[BMW HVAC Research]|[IBUS Scrolling Text]|[BMPuter]|[Velocity]|[TomTom]|[Vision]|[Space Navigator Driver]|[Super Fast Boot]

Comment

now that the CD rom thing is mentioned, I noticed this yesterday as well. But it's since come back. I was thinking it was just a USB issue, since I've been having issues getting USB to work on fresh installs. Now it's all working correctly, or so it seems.

Jan Bennett

Comment

Well mine was working fo a little while then it became tempormental then it just stopped. I took minlogon out and it worked but i put minlogon back lol!
              2002 Mitsubishi Galant

Carputer Specs:
              Via M10K
              512mb Ram
              60GB HDD
              OPUS ITX PC Case

Comment

man - I don't know what's going on.

I had minilogon working fine. Only problem, I couldn't get the computer to shut down when I would pull my key from the ignition.

When I pull the key out of the ignition, I go through a full shut down process. With the minlogon enabled, the computer would NOT shut down, even with the program that was linked to earlier.

So I am using regular windows log on now, only now I've lost my touch screen! what gives!?

it also seems that some changes wont stick too.

I changed the sound settings to have no windows sounds, rebooted, and now I have windows sounds again....strange....really really strange...
                Jan Bennett

Comment

Yeah i forgot to mentions that my touchscreen would not work ony if it was directly connected to the usb on the mobo. I couldnt conect it to a usb hub. also each usb has to be in the same exact spot inorder for them to functioN!
                  2002 Mitsubishi Galant

Carputer Specs:
                  Via M10K
                  512mb Ram
                  60GB HDD
                  OPUS ITX PC Case

Comment

Hey Red, you're just using minlogon correct? No EWF?

I guess I need to get up on all this minlogon stuff, I've never tried it. Maybe I will...
                    Tidder

Try RevFE
                    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

no EWF at the moment.
                      Jan Bennett

Comment

there's a thread here about the ACPI call not working when minlogon is on. I have this problem, and I use suspend instead. there's a program called minlogon shutdown (or similar) on that thread, that basically intercepts a suspend call and shuts the comptuer down instead. it's been working a treat
                        Current:

Previous:
                        [BMW E31 850CSi]|[BMW E39 535i]|[BMW HVAC Research]|[IBUS Scrolling Text]|[BMPuter]|[Velocity]|[TomTom]|[Vision]|[Space Navigator Driver]|[Super Fast Boot]

Comment

yeah - that's the program that's causing the problem.

when I got rid of that program, I was finally able to shut down the computer with the key pulled from the ignition.
                          Jan Bennett

Comment

I see. I had a thought about solving your external HD problem

In the registry, there's a bunch of keys under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CONTROLSET001\ENUM\USB\. ..
                            each one of the Vid's in there represents a device. everytime you plug a new usb drive, it gets stored here (amongs other palces... the wonders of the windows registry!)

I find that ifI delete these keys (all the Vid's) then start the computer, and plug the devices one by one, it helps the recognitino process. I've solevd a couple of really bizzare cases where my ibus driver (serial port) was being mistaken for a microsoft serial mouse!! everytime my car said something on the ibus, the mouse would move!

anyway, try that if all else fails.
                            Current:

Previous:

Comment

thanks for the heads up, I'll look into it.

However, right now, the main concern for me is getting windows to actually shut down.

I'm even using the Shutdown redirector.

I have power settings set to where the computer receives a full shut down notice.

"When I press the power button on my computer: Shutdown"

"When I press the sleep button on my computer: Shutdown"

I pull the key out of the ignition, and after a bit of time, the music stops playing. I can't see for sure if Windows shuts down, because I have my screen wired in to where it will turn off when I pull the key from the ignition.

The Amps and my Alpine processor are still on. I'm running a M1 power supply.

When I'm not running minlogon and I'm not running the redirector (in other words, I just use windows as normal) I can shut down fine.

So I'm guessing that I need to be able to see exactly what the computer is doing?
                              Jan Bennett

Comment

Working...
                              X