Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

File Sync Beta Testers Required

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • File Sync Beta Testers Required

    Would anyone be willing to give my EZSync file synchronization application a bit of a beta test?

    Features:
    • Automatic detection of a stable network connection, and subsequent automatic synchronisation with your EZSync server
    • Automatic delivery of client software upgrades from the server. EZSync checks for upgrades when connected to the server and automatically installs them if available.
    • If you are running FrodoPlayer, EZSync will optionally automatically write MP3 file entries into the music database. Requires FP1.09 take 3.
    • Recovery after loss of network connection. If not finished syncing and you need to drive away, just go and it will resume next time the network is connected (partial file syncs are not resumed; only whole files are copied).
    • Uses an IP connection (port is configurable) for all file transfer.
    • Specify different source and target locations for files.
    • Runs in the system tray; optionally pops up the client window when the server is detected and a sync is in progress.
    • Password protected logon (not encrypted).
    • Recursive copy is performed, and the resulting directory structure is retained on the target PC.
    Full details and a download link can be found here:
    http://richmet.homeip.net/ezsync/ezsync.htm

    I've only just put the installer together, so please bear with me if you can't get it to work, as I have only one PC to test it on.

    If you're going to give it a go, please post and let me know. I've been running it for a couple of weeks now and it seems to work ok for me. I hope it will be of some use to others. Feel free to post any requests for improvements.

    Regards,
    Ric.
    EZSync - http://www.richmet.com/ezsync

  • #2
    I am going to give it a spin this weekend...


    Cheers

    Comment


    • #3
      Looks like a great app... unfortunately, I don't run Windoze machines at home Any chance a linux binary can be made for just the server component?
      89 Supra Turbo

      Comment


      • #4
        Me too..

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by drait
          Looks like a great app... unfortunately, I don't run Windoze machines at home Any chance a linux binary can be made for just the server component?
          Once we know it's doing the job, I'd be happy to document and release the protocol so that some other Linux developer out there can write a compatible server.
          EZSync - http://www.richmet.com/ezsync

          Comment


          • #6
            will defo give it ago, just got afew things I need to sort out first.. Sounds really good :-)
            Follow me on Twitter

            http://www.FreeICE.co.uk

            Comment


            • #7
              Hi,

              It works fine for me, except when I shutdown my computer I first have to exit your app, otherwise windows won't shutdown.

              I use Windows MCE2005.

              Any idea's ?

              Cheers

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by rwijbenga
                Hi,

                It works fine for me, except when I shutdown my computer I first have to exit your app, otherwise windows won't shutdown.

                I use Windows MCE2005.

                Any idea's ?

                Cheers
                I've noticed that myself just today. I handle various windows messages to make it hibernate cleanly, but it looks like I'm not doing it quite right when an actual shutdown is issued. I'll get that one sorted out.

                Ric.
                EZSync - http://www.richmet.com/ezsync

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ric355
                  I've noticed that myself just today. I handle various windows messages to make it hibernate cleanly, but it looks like I'm not doing it quite right when an actual shutdown is issued. I'll get that one sorted out.

                  Ric.
                  I've put a new release out to fix the shutdown issue. It was actually being caused by the code I had to minimize the software to the system tray). There's an upgrade on the web site to take the software from 1.6 to 1.7. It will preserve the existing config so just install over the top. The client will upgrade itself automatically the next time you synchronize.
                  EZSync - http://www.richmet.com/ezsync

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Super !!!

                    Gonna test it ...


                    Cheers

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I am also working on a sync program. It has no graphical interface though, it does however support partial file resume. Curious though, just reading what you said, does it not maintain directory structure? Maybe I read wrong.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        When it searches for a stable connection, can I make it connect only on my home wifi connection? with wifi security and etc?

                        I want it to sync when I pull into the garage, but it wont work through "any open wpoint", so it needs to be a specific AP, does it do that?
                        Roy

                        2005 Range Rover 4.4
                        Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by mithoric
                          I am also working on a sync program. It has no graphical interface though, it does however support partial file resume. Curious though, just reading what you said, does it not maintain directory structure? Maybe I read wrong.
                          Yes, it does maintain the directory structure.

                          I can add partial file resume if people want it - just haven't got that far yet.

                          Ric.
                          EZSync - http://www.richmet.com/ezsync

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ric355
                            Once we know it's doing the job, I'd be happy to document and release the protocol so that some other Linux developer out there can write a compatible server.
                            Excellent! I will have to give it a go.
                            89 Supra Turbo

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by RoyN
                              When it searches for a stable connection, can I make it connect only on my home wifi connection? with wifi security and etc?

                              I want it to sync when I pull into the garage, but it wont work through "any open wpoint", so it needs to be a specific AP, does it do that?
                              It searches for a stable connection by pinging the IP address you've got it configured for. When the target machine has responded sufficiently well, it connects on the chosen port and logs on to the server, then the synchronisation begins.

                              I'm using it on my home wifi connection here - it syncs when I pull into the garage. I'm running an unencrypted network but it will work just the same with encyption on, provided your Car PC automatically connects to the WIFI network when it is detected.

                              I didn't really write it with the intention of people using any open access point to download files across the internet; I wrote it with logging on to your home network in mind. However, provided the IP address you configure is accessible via the internet, then it should work that way too. Most home PC's have a different internet IP address to their internal one though, if they are using a NATing ADSL wireless router.

                              There is the possibility that you could drive past an open access point that has a PC behind it with an IP address the same as your home PC (because it's an internal address and does not have to be globally unique). In this instance, it is unlikely that a compatible server is running on the PC, and even if it is the user id and password won't be the same. In these circumstances the sync will just not occur.

                              Hope that helps.

                              Ric.
                              EZSync - http://www.richmet.com/ezsync

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X