Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What port does GPSSecure use to communicate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What port does GPSSecure use to communicate?

I'll probably be using this over my GPRS connection and I want to make sure I'm not going to be charged for data. What port does GPSSecure use?

Thanks,
    Dan

5550. They charge you for certain ports?
    AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
    Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
    Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
    -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

Yeah - anything beside the standard ones. Technically, they say they charge you for all non-cellular data traffic but the standards don't get charged. Any way that we can set the port?

Thanks,
      Dan

Comment

I'll take that back. I guess with the migration to Cingular I no longer have to worry about it. Looking forward to using your software!

Dan

Comment

In the UK, we could do with it using port 8080 for its data as we get semi-free traffic over port 8080.

Comment

Originally posted by UK_MP3Car
            In the UK, we could do with it using port 8080 for its data as we get semi-free traffic over port 8080.
            I'm not a port guru but will this interfere with other traffic? That sounds like a good port to switch everything to, especially for those who have firewalls. Just that one concern.
            Installed.

Comment

Originally posted by xBrady
              I'm not a port guru but will this interfere with other traffic? That sounds like a good port to switch everything to, especially for those who have firewalls. Just that one concern.
              According to http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/p/port.htm port 8080 is an HTTP alternative. (Same for port 8008). Some ISPs like to block certain ports. For example, my ISP, RoadRunner, blocks port 21 which is FTP. Not a problem though because I just set up my FTP server to run on port 999 and everything works great. 8080, in theory, should not cause you any problems.

For best results though, I would make it so the user can choose what port to run on.

Derek
              Progress [||-------]
              View my Worklog to see some of my progress.
              Downgraded Progress - Starting with another car... 09/13/06

Comment

has this been done to allow you to choose the port it runs on ?
                2005 Ford Mustang GT <- - - UPDATED PICTURES

2003 KAWASAKI Z1000 - CUSTOM MODZ

MBK (AIM = IllMBKllI)

Comment

I'm still thinking about how I am going to do this. I'm rewritting the socket stuff to be more efficient and provide differant information so I'll definitelly address this. I've had so much homework and stuff lately that I haven't even worked on this for 2 weeks now. I'm ashamed.
                  Installed.

Comment

Working...
                  X