Which dongle for phonecontrol?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which dongle for phonecontrol?

Does anyone know if this bluetooth usb dongle is compatiable and user friendly within the Phonecontrol software system?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....852190&tc=photo

And while using this dongle to connect my sony erricson phone to the computer will i be able to also connect the bluetooth headset to the phone or will i have to use the PC speaker output and microphone?

Or

Can anyone suggest a different route to solve this? Z600 Sony Erricson.

best to get one that support widcomm.

Comment

have a look on his site for a compatable one.

Comment

I just purchased this $25 with a $50 mail in rebate. So its free......i wonder if ill get money back. Hope this works with phone control.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...4137&CatId=906

Just as a suggestion to zorro, could you also have a list of known incompatible dongles on your site?
        PC Components:
        Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
        My work log

Comment

the mail in rebate is for a toshiba laptop...not the bluetooth dongle...

Comment

Originally posted by Peoples
            Just as a suggestion to zorro, could you also have a list of known incompatible dongles on your site?
            Nope.
            Skinning to go... VisualDesigner2!

Comment

wow, now i'm ticked, cant believe i missed that.
              PC Components:
              Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
              My work log

Comment

Originally posted by zorro
                Nope.
                Any reason or you just don't feel like it
                -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Comment

Yap. I'm making software, I'm no hardware tester. If you put such information anywhere on the web, you'll have to explain why. I don't feel this as my job.

Beside, most BT-Dongles base on the CSR chip. In such cases it's all a matter of the driver software.

Comment

looks like they just fixed the rebate issue. Now its a $10 rebate for the dongle
                    PC Components:
                    My work log

Comment

Originally posted by bertybassett
                      best to get one that support widcomm.
                      i found this in the widcomm 4 release thread

http://www.jonsguides.com/bluetooth/tested.html

i assume all dongles listed here would also work with phone control (my assumption)
                      PC Components:
                      My work log

Comment

Originally posted by bertybassett
                        have a look on his site for a compatable one.
                        It seems that the compatible dongle list is now gone from his site. If you go into the forums and select the phone manufacturer you can find the compatible phones list, but there is no compatible dongle list anymore.

Furthermore, unless I missed in, on jonsguides.com it lists dongles (& phones) tested (with Widcomm I assume though it does not say that explicitly), there are no test results.

IOW, it was tested, but how well did it work? Were there problems? All fweatures supported or what? Nothing. Just that it was tested.

Obviously I want to get a widcomm 4 compatible BT dongle, but I want to make sure that everything is supported and it works well in Phone control. I just got a used Sony Z600, so it has to work well with that as well.

Anyone have any suggestions?

THanks,

Alex F

Comment

Alex,

I guess that about 80% of the dongles you can find on the market are equipped with a CSR chip. That means, that it'll work with the Broadcom(formerly known as Widcomm) driver.

Beside, for PhoneControl the BT-Dongle doesn't matter at all as long the driver supports RFCOMM and applies a virtual COM port to the system (though, the MS-BTStack is working as well, if you don't intend to use the Headset Profile).

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Zorro. I think that the MS-BTStack is out since I want to use the car's stereo system (hooked up to the PCs soundcard & a mic) as a speaker phone, and I want the new NO autoanswer features of the Widcomm 4 driver.

Thanks,

Brain21/Alex F

Comment

OK, I was looking at the Anycom USB-120 and USB-240.

They say that they are BT 1.1 compatible, and 1.2 "Ready". What exactly does that mean?

Ooops. Looks like the anycom uses the Silicon Wave chipset, not CSR, even though it does use the Widcom drivers, and they are not listed on jonsguides.com as tested...

Looking at the BAFO BF-8011 & 8012. The 8010 is listed on jonsguides, but the others are not. I assume because they are too new (?). They both support BT 1.2 (the 8012 I think has longer range). I cannot find anywhere (including BAFO's website) what chipsets these are running. I *assume* the CSR chipset, but I can't really tell. Not too bad for less than $20 though for one, and around $25 for the other.

Similarly, but more expensive for the same features is the AOPEN/IOGear GBU-311. Jonsguides list the GBU-301, but not this one. The manufacturers site also does not show the chipset, and lists a bunch of profiles, but not the headset profile, or HID profile for the device. And it's $42

I emailed BAFO and asked about the chipset & drivers, so I am waiting on a response.

Will any of these listed support my needs?

Thanks,

Brain21

Comment

Working...
                              X