Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• StevieG's Access Control Software

Version: 1.01

This software is intended to startup at car-pc launch, in between your front-end. You configure this to launch, then this is configured to start up your front-end software such as Centrafuse.

The main feature of this application, is that it records audio from the microphone while it is on the access control screen. It is skinnable.

I have used this to record my car being serviced to ensure, for my piece of mind, I know how it was being treated while out of my sight. You may think up more interesting uses for it!

Full help file included plus MSI installer.

Download

Screenshot:

Source code is at the website
    Ford Focus MP3 : www.stevieg.org/carpc Blog Updated 29 January 2009!
    Car PC Status: Complete - Undergoing Software Redevelopment

Originally posted by stevieg
    I have used this to record my car being serviced to ensure, for my piece of mind, I know how it was being treated while out of my sight.
    So, the mechanic didn't shout at the car then??
    Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

what a kewl idea m8.. my bm is going in for a service soon.. I think this will be a great time to test it :-)

cheers

CdR
      Follow me on Twitter

http://www.FreeICE.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Laidback
        So, the mechanic didn't shout at the car then??

No! They left it on ACC-ON through the entire service (glad my battery and car pc held out) so it was on the Access Control screen throughout the ENTIRE service.

I was mainly worried about them slamming the doors, bumping it and then doing a hasty fix or taking it out for a razz. And of course taking the Car PC apart.

Plus it looks pretty cool and stops them messing with it. I could have taken a fuse out, but I figure, why bother if I can record them.

Comment

This like I said in the wheel control thread is the best tool to catch this guys in action!!! (down here in *hell* I mean miami mecanics they charge you tons of money for a simple job)

Also Stevieg what are the chances to implement the video in cabinet camaras to the APP?
          RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
          We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

Great idea, but im having a small problem. I keep getting a runtime error: 429, Active X component can't create object. Happens on both pc's.

Comment

Originally posted by vatik
              Great idea, but im having a small problem. I keep getting a runtime error: 429, Active X component can't create object. Happens on both pc's.
              There should be a 'Register AutoITX' shortcut in the start menu next to AccessControl

Comment

Originally posted by thanatos106
                This like I said in the wheel control thread is the best tool to catch this guys in action!!! (down here in *hell* I mean miami mecanics they charge you tons of money for a simple job)

Also Stevieg what are the chances to implement the video in cabinet camaras to the APP?
                It's simple to get it to capture from one camera in the background. I would have done it, but as I was covertly fitting my webcam I rboke a chip off it! Doh! So left it as it was with the microphone in the A-pillar (usually used for voice control) and wrote the software to that.

If you need video, let me know and I will adjust it.

Comment

Originally posted by stevieg
                  It's simple to get it to capture from one camera in the background. I would have done it, but as I was covertly fitting my webcam I rboke a chip off it! Doh! So left it as it was with the microphone in the A-pillar (usually used for voice control) and wrote the software to that.

If you need video, let me know and I will adjust it.

Yes I would love to get the App to do video capture........

Thanks for everything.

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Comment

That did it, thanks.

Comment

Good work stevieg with a car like mine this will be very handy as the mechanics like to take it for a test drive - OBDII recording would come in handy too to keep an eye on their driving.

I presume that you only intend to have this on when you take the car in for a service but it could also be handy for if the car is stolen so what about using an RFID tag or one of those USB lock keys on your keychain to disable this software? But then that could be considered getting a little complicated and ruining a nice simple bit of software. You could have it triggered by the valet switch into a serial port too - ie have the valet switch not to disable the PC but put it in surveillance mode. (I apologise, that sounds like something from Knight Rider!)

Oh just thought of a few more things: could it be set to turn off the monitor after say 1 minute (and it wil then come back on when the screen is touched) so mechinics dont try and mess with it. And would it be best to have an on screen warning as recording people might be considered slightly illegal and if they see a warning that they are being recorded then they may not do the stupid things - prevention is better than cure.

Then again I suspect a dodgy mechanic I would take it badly and do a half assed job if he knew he/she was being recorded.

Comment

Originally posted by P*ssed off B/F
                        Good work stevieg with a car like mine this will be very handy as the mechanics like to take it for a test drive - OBDII recording would come in handy too to keep an eye on their driving.

I presume that you only intend to have this on when you take the car in for a service but it could also be handy for if the car is stolen so what about using an RFID tag or one of those USB lock keys on your keychain to disable this software? But then that could be considered getting a little complicated and ruining a nice simple bit of software. You could have it triggered by the valet switch into a serial port too - ie have the valet switch not to disable the PC but put it in surveillance mode. (I apologise, that sounds like something from Knight Rider!)

Oh just thought of a few more things: could it be set to turn off the monitor after say 1 minute (and it wil then come back on when the screen is touched) so mechinics dont try and mess with it. And would it be best to have an on screen warning as recording people might be considered slightly illegal and if they see a warning that they are being recorded then they may not do the stupid things - prevention is better than cure.

Then again I suspect a dodgy mechanic I would take it badly and do a half assed job if he knew he/she was being recorded.

I don't want to make it too complicated just yet, I'd rather it use the existing features than add a load more, plus I can't afford RFID readers yet!

It's not a commercial premises (my car isnt anyway), so I don't need to warn anyone they are being recorded. The 'CCTV signs' or 'you are being monitored' warning only apply to business', not personal property.

You'll probably remember a short while ago on BBC news a guy had a webcam monitor posting pics to the net, and caught someone pinch his PC. He had no signs, evidence was still permissable and not illegal to do!

Comment

Originally posted by P*ssed off B/F

It is no illegal 'cause is your car.........
                          Is like the camaras and mic in you house that you leave on when the A/C guys say his working. and he is not.

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Comment

"I pity the fool typing to gain unauthorized access to this system."

Comment

Originally posted by vatik

"I pity the fool typing to gain unauthorized access to this system."

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Comment

Working...
                              X