GPSing - Digital Speedometer/Altimeter/Compass

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPSing - Digital Speedometer/Altimeter/Compass

I was looking for a digital speedometer and decided to try to write my own using VB.NET 2005 Express edition.
    I wrote this a few months back. I had problems with the serial port when I used xPort3, so I had to use mscomm32.ocx which is the older way to communicate with the serial port.
    But anyways, here's the program to try. It doesn't run as fast as I want it to, but I think that's cause of the framework and the transparencies on my SP13000.
    You can also use your own bitmap backgrounds for the displays and the fullscreen display.

Program:
    GPSing

Requirements:
    MSCOMM32.ocx installer - Required to communicate with GPS.
    .NET 2.0 Framework - (Will prompt you to download if not installed during install.)
    GPS Receiver - Any NMEA compatible receiver.

Optional:
    To run GPSing with another GPS program or if you use it to hibernate and have issues with the GPS receiver being detected after resume, you can run XPort3. A program written by another www.mp3car.com member that splits the com ports and helps with hibernation issues.

Screenshots below:
    SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
    GPSing - Digital Speedo
    Relocating headunit and extending faceplate
    Button app to Alt-Tab between two programs

The Gauges and Settings Page

Here you can set what gauges to display and in what units. Also you can select backgrounds and other user defined settings such as font color. To access the settings you double click any of the gauges skins. If you select to show no gauges or use a transparent skin background* (*more on this below), you can still get to settings or exit the program by using the Tray Icon as shown below.
    *The Program looks at the gauges bitmap at 0,0 and sets whatever that color is in the bitmap to transparent. So if you choose a all black bitmap the color at 0,0 on that bitmap is black so it sets the whole bitmap to transparent and you will have just floating text. To move the text, you must use a background first such as the default background (uncheck the Use box) to move the gauges to your desired position then check the use box again to use the black bitmap to get back just floating text.
    Attached Files
    SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
    GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

Tray Icon

Allows you to exit the program or display settings screen using the the system tray icon. Also used if no gauges are displayed or user decides to use no gauge background skin.
      Attached Files
      GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

Speed Alert

Here the gauges are shown with transparency. If speed alert is checked and speed exceeds speed alert selected speed. A red exclamation will flash on the screen to warn you that you have exceeded the set alert speed.
        Attached Files
        GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

Full Screen Mode

If you double click the speed Gauge text (the numbers themselves), it will activate Full Screen Mode where you will see a large digital display and a bar meter (optional, if checked) that grows as your speed increases. You can set the maximum of the meter. Here I set it to 3 and had the speed go to 1 to show you what it would look like if you set it to 160 and was going 53. To exit Full Screen Mode, just click anywhere on the screen.
          Attached Files
          GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

Full Screen Mode with user selected bitmap

You can also make your own bitmap and use it in Full Screen Mode. If the bitmap is smaller it will be stretch to fit the full size of the screen. Here I selected a really small bitmap and it stretched it to fill the whole screen.
            Attached Files
            GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

Let me know how it runs for you people.

Enjoy!
              GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

Originally posted by LESLIEx317537
                Let me know how it runs for you people.

Enjoy!
                Looks cool, I'll let you know. I am hoping to have a LCD dash that has an older style speedometer and tachometer as one of the displays. No OBD in my '64 Nova. Any help like this is great.

JD
                The car is mostly complete. Wanted to hide all the stereo system so I've got a SecretAudio SST head unit, Kappa Amp, Kappa 6x9, Kappa 4", bluetooth streaming audio.

Comment

?

DEAD LINK?

I would like a copy of this program

Comment

Should work now.
                    GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

Anyone find any bugs or anything?
                      Feedback? I'm getting bored.
                      GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

Looks nice, I think I'll give this a look. Any chance of a satellite count / signal strength / position box?
                        EPoX mATX SocketA w/onboard Geforce4MX / 512MB PC2700 / AthlonXP 1600
                        Lilliput / DVDrom / Opus 150W / WD 3.5" 160GB / SB Audigy NX
                        XP home / Road Runner / iGuidance 4.0

Comment

When I get my new Main PC upgraded and I get some extra time, I'll see if I can add some of those features.
                          GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

hello LESLIEx317537
                            thanx for this really cute piece of work. it fits exactly to what i need for my destinator6. i got one problem, don't no if it's a bug or my fault.
                            i made three bitmaps for the gauges. they are supposed to form a circle for a speedo with a transparent rim. but unfortunately the default grey rectangles still show in the tranparent areas of my bitmaps. the rectangles seem smaller than the default ones but visible "behind" my bitmaps.
                            what can i do ?
                            j.
                            my project: DestiPLUS Frontend v5.2 multilingual released
                            http://www.car-pc.info/phpBB2/viewto...er=asc&start=0
                            the first & unique frontend providing you osk, sdk
                            adv. management and wamp control with Destinator

Comment

Can you attach one of your bitmaps here. Thanks.

Remember, the code I wrote takes the top left color pixel and chooses that to be the transparent color.

I attached the bmp I used for the programs speed gauge.
                              Attached Files
                              GPSing - Digital Speedo

Comment

Working...
                              X