Boost Vs. Cingular - Internet Only

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boost Vs. Cingular - Internet Only

I can't decide what to do. I already have cingular but the GPRS internet is only 28.8K and is 20/month for unlimited. I used to have a Boost phone but threw it out. I am redoing the carpc this weekend and I am thinking about hiding a boost phone in the dash for internet use only. Is the internet any faster than 28.8K? I know I read that is was 56.6K but is that really accurate? I'm looking to buy the phone and service tonight or tomorrow since I am redoing it starting tomorrow night.

Originally posted by mdlesk View Post
    I can't decide what to do. I already have cingular but the GPRS internet is only 28.8K and is 20/month for unlimited. I used to have a Boost phone but threw it out. I am redoing the carpc this weekend and I am thinking about hiding a boost phone in the dash for internet use only. Is the internet any faster than 28.8K? I know I read that is was 56.6K but is that really accurate? I'm looking to buy the phone and service tonight or tomorrow since I am redoing it starting tomorrow night.
    Why don't you get an Edge phone... Tethering will give you like 100-160kbps...for $20/month + 200TXT/MMS/Video Msgs

Rafster
    Post # 3000

Comment

I have one. Yesterday I was connected at 200Kbps but today I only connected at 28.8kbps so that's why I'm thinking about boost. I'd be happy with 56.6K for the 10/month with boost. Edge isn't that great at least here in Columbus.

Comment

I have one. Yesterday I was connected at 200Kbps but today I only connected at 28.8kbps so that's why I'm thinking about boost. I'd be happy with 56.6K for the 10/month with boost. Edge isn't that great at least here in Columbus.
        What's ur Zip Code?

Rafster
        Post # 3000

Comment

43230, but for some reason the internet is horrible on my slvr and my friends razr is as bad.

Comment

43230, but for some reason the internet is horrible on my slvr and my friends razr is as bad.
            I found your problem.... get away from Motorola....

It's all about Nokia and Samsung!!!

You should be getting excellent everything with CIngular. You live in a fully 3G area. So you could even get yourself a 3G phone and get close to megabit speeds for $20/month.

http://www.cingular.com/coverageviewer/

Rafster
            Post # 3000

Comment

i get 128 on my 6680 from nokia, so does that mean if i get a 3g phone i could get faster speeds?

Comment

Originally posted by faberz View Post
                i get 128 on my 6680 from nokia, so does that mean if i get a 3g phone i could get faster speeds?
                Only if you live in a 3G area...

Do you???

Rafster
                Post # 3000

Comment

Yea, in san diego

Comment

Sweet,

What part of S.D. are you in?

I'm in Chula Vista/Bonita.

Rafster
                    Post # 3000

Comment

I have the 8525. I know, it's a bit expensive but it is 3G and super easy to tether. Plug in the usb and start Internet Sharing, select connect and I'm done. I get 600-655 kbit/sec when I'm in a 3G area which is quite a bit of the time. I have the MediaNet $20 unlimited plan.

Comment

So, with the MediaNET package, you essentially get complete wireless internet access on your PC?

Comment

Originally posted by EschObfus View Post
                          So, with the MediaNET package, you essentially get complete wireless internet access on your PC?
                          yes I do. Now, I only have the medianet $20 package. From what I've read I'm not suppose to use that service with my phone, the 8525, I'm to use the PDA package, $40 (I think). They tried to get me to switch and I told them that I'd rather just drop the internet service all together, they decided not to push the fact after that. Also I think for teathering which I'm doing, you are suppose to have the laptop/teathering package, I believe thats $79. So far I have not had any problems from Cingular over it. But then I don't use it much, downloading traffic, and weather mostly. Don't do any serious surfing.

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyM View Post
                            yes I do. Now, I only have the medianet $20 package. From what I've read I'm not suppose to use that service with my phone, the 8525, I'm to use the PDA package, $40 (I think). They tried to get me to switch and I told them that I'd rather just drop the internet service all together, they decided not to push the fact after that. Also I think for teathering which I'm doing, you are suppose to have the laptop/teathering package, I believe thats $79. So far I have not had any problems from Cingular over it. But then I don't use it much, downloading traffic, and weather mostly. Don't do any serious surfing.
                            might have to try this... i have the 59.99 DTCNUNL plan for use with a PDA. which blows cus its expensive.
                            My RSX Carputer finished!

Comment

I've been teathering this at my second home for a few months now without any problems from Cingular. Granted i don't do it often.

I also turned off the proxy on the phone. I haven't found a site I couldn't go to yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X