Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I find out if I can connect my iPhone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I find out if I can connect my iPhone?

I'd really like to use my Apple iPhone over bluetooth with my carpc. I have never connected a phone to my carpc over bluetooth but I understand there are a few programs available. PhoneControl.net, Freephone and RRMobile come to mind (I'm using RR front end).

Can anyone tell me what to look for to see if my phone will connect to my pc?

does your PC have bluetooth? you should be able to connect to it if it does.

the only thing i can suggest is that you try it out. it wont break anything...i swear.

With the bluetooth device on your comp already turned on, try searching for the bluetooth device with your phone. connect from there.
    Trouble deciding on car speakers? Clicky Clicky
    Speakers: DLS Ultimate Iridium 6.3 Link
    Subwoofer: removed
    Amplifier#1 (Front Stage): DLS Ultimate A4
    Amplifier#2 (Sub) removed
    Carputer: Removed for tablet install

Comment

nope, that's where Apple messed up. You can't connect the iPhone via BT to anything but a headset.
      www.computer-forums.net

Comment

Originally posted by kostyanj View Post
        nope, that's where Apple messed up. You can't connect the iPhone via BT to anything but a headset.
        wow...that sucks...i didnt know that.
        Trouble deciding on car speakers? Clicky Clicky
        Speakers: DLS Ultimate Iridium 6.3 Link
        Subwoofer: removed
        Amplifier#1 (Front Stage): DLS Ultimate A4
        Amplifier#2 (Sub) removed
        Carputer: Removed for tablet install

Comment

Thanks for the info folks. I couldn't test myself because I only have macs in the house and the pc in the car doesn't have built in bluetooth. I didn't want to buy a bluetooth dongle before getting shut down!

I seem to have a knack for buying phones that don't work in the car - Moto Q, Treo, iPhone... oh well... here's to the next one!

Comment

You didn't try connecting it to the macs? I'm sure some hackers will eventually find a workaround and force Apple to implement their own version in the next firmware update.
            www.computer-forums.net

Comment

iPhone Tethering Available

You can now tether your iPhone to your computer....

http://www.hackszine.com/blog/archiv...edge_wire.html

Search google for 'iphone tether'....

Still slow 2.5G (EDGE).... better than nothing for some i'm sure...

-Kevin
              Kevin
              Audi A4 Carputer, 80% setup.

Comment

@CKNY

Kevlar is right about tetherify'ing your iphone. Many iphone users have successfully done it. Unfortunately i haven't - and i'm very discourage and upset by the whole thing. But i certainly won't give up....

NateTrue at http://cre.ations.net/blog explains the procedure....

good luck
                CTS 05, Mobile Information Center...
                Atom - 1.8ghz
                2GB Ram
                32GB SSD
                8" TouchScreen
                5.6" Screen (overhead) w/reverse capability

Finished Project
                Car Hacking
                WorkBlog
                Video

Comment

Is there a way to do it without using a wireless router?!

Comment

wireless router?!?

i think you're misunderstanding....here are the requirements and tell me if you have it:

your carpc has to have wifi
                    you have to have an iphone
                    - now tether away!

BTW, no router necessary (wireless or wired)
                    CTS 05, Mobile Information Center...
                    Atom - 1.8ghz
                    2GB Ram
                    32GB SSD
                    8" TouchScreen
                    5.6" Screen (overhead) w/reverse capability

Finished Project
                    Car Hacking
                    WorkBlog
                    Video

Comment

Anyone tried to use their iPhone through phoco, etc?

My iPhone synced automatically to my Mother's Audi Q7 and I could receive calls immediately, as well as scroll through contacts etc.

Someone mentioned the iPhone not being able to connect to anything but a headset, but I'm not sure that is true, since it paired with Audi's OEM carputer/system.

Any updates?

Comment

everything you described is possible as a headset device.. however you cannot use the iphone without the hacks described earlier as a modem
                        Pentium 4m 1.5GHz|MB896|Roadie Extreme|XM-Direct|Rikaline 6010|T-View 7"|Streetdeck|160gb Western Digital|1Gb DDR2-533 Ram

Comment

Headset devices can go through your contacts, see recent/missed/dialed calls, etc?

It seemed to interface the exact way that it should with freefone, phoco, etc.

If it worked with the Q7 off the bat without any "hacks", it shouldn't need a hack to work with a CarPC...

Unless I'm retarded, which is highly possible.

(I just don't have my CarPC back up and running at the moment to test this)

Comment

it will work with your carpc to see calls.. make calls etc.. but it WONT let you use it for INTERNET on your carpc without the hacks
                            Pentium 4m 1.5GHz|MB896|Roadie Extreme|XM-Direct|Rikaline 6010|T-View 7"|Streetdeck|160gb Western Digital|1Gb DDR2-533 Ram

Comment

Thanks for the update! I just misunderstood, sorry about that. Glad to hear that I shouldn't have any troubles then; as I'm not looking to use the internet.

Comment

Working...
                              X