Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone add a wifi antenna to their Mac mini?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone add a wifi antenna to their Mac mini?

    If so how any write ups on this? I searched and found nothing. I know where the antenna is in the case but don't know how hard it would be to upgrade the antenna. Any help is appreciated <br /><br />
    As you sow, so shall you reep
    My Install- http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...-10-4-lcd.html

  • #2
    Im not familia with macs, but I know a worklog thread that is. Here is a link to the specific wifi post within it.
    Continued Worklog... Upgrades in progress:
    *15.4" WXGA LED backlight touchscreen upgrade
    *Custom fiberglass dash bezel

    Comment


    • #3
      thanks that was somewhat helpful, but I would still like to see what some on did with their mac mini.
      As you sow, so shall you reep
      My Install- http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...-10-4-lcd.html

      Comment


      • #4
        The hardest part is going to be where do you put the antennas? You're going to need at least two, if it's 802.11n you'll need three. You'll need ufl to r-sma or r-tnc pigtails.
        Failure is not an option....



        It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by BarryWoods View Post
          The hardest part is going to be where do you put the antennas? You're going to need at least two, if it's 802.11n you'll need three. You'll need ufl to r-sma or r-tnc pigtails.
          I'm not so worried about the antenna's as I am connecting them to the computer. I was wondering if mybe there is some USB antenna or USB wifi w/ a antenna hook-up. I'm suprised more people aren't asking questions about this topic.
          As you sow, so shall you reep
          My Install- http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...-10-4-lcd.html

          Comment


          • #6
            Whats the difference between dbm and dbi? I found this one on ebay I think I could put it in my back window, but is it worth the money?http://cgi.ebay.com/1-2Mile-Booster-...QQcmdZViewItem
            As you sow, so shall you reep
            My Install- http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...-10-4-lcd.html

            Comment


            • #7
              Damn nice antenna. The only problem with that one is its really directional. Your only going to get WiFi behind you while you drive. I guess it would be okay if a friend of yours is driving behind you with a WiFi antenna pointing forward. Then you could have lan games while you drive what you need is omni directional like this ebay antenna.

              http://cgi.ebay.com/19dBi-Omni-Direc...QQcmdZViewItem

              Not as much db that the other one had but 19db is still pretty good for omni directional antennas.
              Um, I guess this is where you put something witty.WITTY

              My Web site, in the design stage. http://home.comcast.net/~cstrachn

              Modified RRSkinEditor http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65723

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by pRoFiT View Post
                Damn nice antenna. The only problem with that one is its really directional. Your only going to get WiFi behind you while you drive. I guess it would be okay if a friend of yours is driving behind you with a WiFi antenna pointing forward. Then you could have lan games while you drive what you need is omni directional like this ebay antenna.

                http://cgi.ebay.com/19dBi-Omni-Direc...QQcmdZViewItem

                Not as much db that the other one had but 19db is still pretty good for omni directional antennas.
                I wouldn't buy that antenna. It's only a 10 degree beam width. What ever you wanted to connect to would have to be pretty much at the same elevation as the antenna. That thing also has a N connector on the end of it. Look at the picture again, N connectors are about a half inch in diameter, that antenna is about 3 feet long.

                As far as connecting an external usb adapter, as long as it's mac compatable, (if you're still running os x on it) it should work just fine. I'm pretty sure there have been some folks running them that way here on the boards.
                Failure is not an option....



                It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

                Comment


                • #9
                  10 degrees vertical and 360 horizontal. If it sticks out your roof or what not 10 degrees vertical is more then enough for level areas. Maybe if your driving through the mountains searching for WiFi. 3 foot antenna would be great. I saw someone driving down the street with a huge as pipe antenna looking thing. about 5 feet from the tail gate to the roof of an suv.
                  Um, I guess this is where you put something witty.WITTY

                  My Web site, in the design stage. http://home.comcast.net/~cstrachn

                  Modified RRSkinEditor http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=65723

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BarryWoods View Post
                    I wouldn't buy that antenna. It's only a 10 degree beam width. What ever you wanted to connect to would have to be pretty much at the same elevation as the antenna. That thing also has a N connector on the end of it. Look at the picture again, N connectors are about a half inch in diameter, that antenna is about 3 feet long.

                    As far as connecting an external usb adapter, as long as it's mac compatable, (if you're still running os x on it) it should work just fine. I'm pretty sure there have been some folks running them that way here on the boards.
                    under the specifics it says Dimensions 11.5x4.8x1 (inch) Thats not 3 feet long it almost a foot long. But thanks for your info. I'm not going to buy that antenna now.
                    As you sow, so shall you reep
                    My Install- http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...-10-4-lcd.html

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by AJWatU View Post
                      under the specifics it says Dimensions 11.5x4.8x1 (inch) Thats not 3 feet long it almost a foot long. But thanks for your info. I'm not going to buy that antenna now.
                      I was talking about the 19Dbi omni, which is 90cm long, or in english 2.95 feet long. Also you asked about adding antennas to a mini, not a usb radio/antenna to it. Completely different beast.


                      So, what do you want in an antenna? If we knew what your objective was, we could steer you in the right direction.
                      Failure is not an option....



                      It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BarryWoods View Post
                        I was talking about the 19Dbi omni, which is 90cm long, or in english 2.95 feet long. Also you asked about adding antennas to a mini, not a usb radio/antenna to it. Completely different beast.


                        So, what do you want in an antenna? If we knew what your objective was, we could steer you in the right direction.
                        sorry If I was unclear but I don't know alot about wifi. I basically just want to pickup more wifi spots where my mac mini is located it doesn't get a very good signal. I did find this http://www.quickertek.com/products/Quicky.php High price but would it work?
                        As you sow, so shall you reep
                        My Install- http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...-10-4-lcd.html

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by AJWatU View Post
                          sorry If I was unclear but I don't know alot about wifi. I basically just want to pickup more wifi spots where my mac mini is located it doesn't get a very good signal. I did find this http://www.quickertek.com/products/Quicky.php High price but would it work?
                          Yea, I have a bridge I want to sell you too. Check this post out.
                          http://discussions.apple.com/mailpos...sageID=4869460

                          I have a Belkin f5d7050 that I picked up at home depot a couple years ago that also has a ralink chipset that works as well.
                          Failure is not an option....



                          It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I found that quickertek item on ebay and won it. I paid a little less than a hundred for it shipped not to bad considering it cost 225. plus shipping from the website. I'll let you know how happy I am with it
                            As you sow, so shall you reep
                            My Install- http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...-10-4-lcd.html

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Still think you paid too much for it. You can buy usb wifi adapters in the $50 or less range.
                              Failure is not an option....



                              It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X