Dedicated carphone.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dedicated carphone.

Apologies if this subject has been covered before, but I was unable to find answers to my specific questions after searching.

I want my carputer to have a dedicated phone setup. For all practical purposes, the car would have its own phone, much like modern GM cars have Onstar. This would likely be implemented through a PCMCIA (or modern equivalent) broadband data card, and of course, a subscription to a cell phone service provider (such as Sprint for me).

The front end would have an option for phone, and I would probably use one of the three major phone control softwares available, depending on compatibility, etc. I would be able to dial others and others dial me using the carputer's broadband card, instead of using my preexisting cell phone through bluetooth or whatever.

I would also want this broadband card to connect to the internet on the road, so I would have a broadband plan as well.

1: Is there any software that can integrate elegantly with a front end to utilize the broadband card's voice feature to make phone calls?
    2: Would it be possible to have a voice plan and a data (broadband) plan on the same phone line (number), or would I have to have a seperate phone line for the internet?
    Check out my GMC Savana worklog.

Remaining tasks to facilitate vanputer installation codename "Enterprise":
    - Edit skin to liking.
    - Get compatible phone for mobilephone.net.
    - Facilitate HVAC control.

I don't believe that broadband cards allow for voice calls.

With a PDA, (like my Treo), you can have broadband and voice on teh same device.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I know the Sierra Wireless Aircard 550 does. But that may be considered an older aircard. I want to use something modern like a broadband card.

- Edit skin to liking.

Comment

Originally posted by stonestatue View Post
        I know the Sierra Wireless Aircard 550 does. But that may be considered an older aircard. I want to use something modern like a broadband card.
        I use it (550) and a bluetooth dongle/headset fairly seamlessly, but you're right its a very old card. None of the new (Sprint EVDO) cards support voice because they don't include the voice trancievers. Had a Sprint tech tell me last week the cards are optimized for data only and therefore better than phone a modem use of EVDO. And given this strategy, they'll probably never mix the two again. So I think you're stuck with your phone or better yet get an old EVDO phone and stash it in the dash with an auto adapter and an external antenna. Might even be a little cheaper monthly
        HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

Well what about the GC89 by Sony? T-Mobile uses only this card for their wireless internet data plans. It mentions voice capability. Would that work for my application? I would be willing to switch from Sprint to T-Mobile if necessary.

- Edit skin to liking.

Comment

Since you would be using broadband speed connections... what about VOIP?

Rafster
            Post # 3000

Comment

VOIP? Now that's an interesting idea.

- Edit skin to liking.

Comment

Well what about the GC89 by Sony? T-Mobile uses only this card for their wireless internet data plans. It mentions voice capability. Would that work for my application? I would be willing to switch from Sprint to T-Mobile if necessary.
                From T-Mobile website:

About Device (Sony Ericsson GC89)

The Sony Ericsson GC89 is the ideal laptop connectivity solution. It allows you to access information wirelessly using the T-Mobile Enhanced Data Rates for Global Evolution (EDGE)/General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) and HotSpot Wireless Fidelity (Wi-Fi) networks. With the GC89, you can:

* Connect to the Internet
                * Connect to your home or work Wi-Fi network
                * Send and receive text messages

[HL]NOTE: The GC89 card does not support voice communication and is not compatible with Personal Device Assistants. It is designed to only work with laptops.[/HL]

Sorry, not gonna work.
                HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

Comment

Originally posted by GizmoQ View Post
                  From T-Mobile website:

About Device (Sony Ericsson GC89)

The Sony Ericsson GC89 is the ideal laptop connectivity solution. It allows you to access information wirelessly using the T-Mobile Enhanced Data Rates for Global Evolution (EDGE)/General Packet Radio Service (GPRS) and HotSpot Wireless Fidelity (Wi-Fi) networks. With the GC89, you can:

* Connect to the Internet
                  * Connect to your home or work Wi-Fi network
                  * Send and receive text messages

[HL]NOTE: The GC89 card does not support voice communication and is not compatible with Personal Device Assistants. It is designed to only work with laptops.[/HL]

Sorry, not gonna work.
                  Darnit, ok. Man that sucks. They should make a voice capable data card.

- Edit skin to liking.

Comment

I really hate to revive threads, but I was just thinking... I think that all 3G enabled AT&T cards allow for voice and data....

Since they actually use 2 seperate modems, you would even be able to use Data and voice at the same time.

I'm not 100% sure, but if it's anything like all the 3G Smart and PDA phones.... it should work...

Rafster
                    Post # 3000

Comment

What if you used something like Skpe In/Out. I don't currently use Skpe at all, but considered it as a VOIP alternative a couple years ago. The only problem with using data for voice is the reliability/quality of the call may suffer since cell data networks don't have as much coverage as their voice networks.

Comment

I used to work at the provider supporting these things. The newer (see at least 2 years old) CDMA cards I've seen don't support voice, this includes the Aircard 580 and ones after that. The older Aircard 555 does and it came with the software for your computer to dial up any number you wish.
                        To answer your second question, you can have voice and data on the same phone number, otherwise people wouldn't be able to use a Blackberry for email and phone calls.
                        But the best solution for you is to just get a $10 phone from one of your friends that they're not using anymore, plug it to your computer via USB, permanently wire a charger to it from the battery and throw it up under your seat somewhere. This way you have a modem that supports data and voice and the newer phones also have something called COPO or some ****, I just read about it today. It allows the phone to accept a voice call while in a data session.
                        Ampie Case
                        2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
                        256 MB DDR2 PC5400
                        Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
                        Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
                        M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

Originally posted by Maheriano View Post
                          I used to work at the provider supporting these things. The newer (see at least 2 years old) CDMA cards I've seen don't support voice, this includes the Aircard 580 and ones after that. The older Aircard 555 does and it came with the software for your computer to dial up any number you wish.
                          To answer your second question, you can have voice and data on the same phone number, otherwise people wouldn't be able to use a Blackberry for email and phone calls.
                          But the best solution for you is to just get a $10 phone from one of your friends that they're not using anymore, plug it to your computer via USB, permanently wire a charger to it from the battery and throw it up under your seat somewhere. This way you have a modem that supports data and voice and the newer phones also have something called COPO or some ****, I just read about it today. It allows the phone to accept a voice call while in a data session.
                          Well, actually, you can never use voice and data at the same time on any CDMA card/phone. It only uses one modem. The modem can only do one thing at a time....

Rafster
                          Post # 3000

Comment

Originally posted by Rafster View Post
                            Well, actually, you can never use voice and data at the same time on any CDMA card/phone. It only uses one modem. The modem can only do one thing at a time....

Rafster
                            What about T-Mobile and Cingular phones? I forget the acronym for them; (GMS) or something like that.

GPRS?

- Edit skin to liking.

Comment

What about T-Mobile and Cingular phones? I forget the acronym for them; (GMS) or something like that.

GPRS?
                              As long as you get an AT&T phone that has 3G capability, you'll be fine.

All ATT 3G phones have a Quadband (850/900/1800/1900) modem in them AND a WCDMA/HSDPA Dual band (850/1900) modem in them.

I teather my Samsung Blackjack all the time, and I continue talking on the phone at the same time....

You can see what I'm talking about here:

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=1066

Rafster
                              Post # 3000

Comment

Working...
                              X