How can I use my cingular cell for FREE internet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I use my cingular cell for FREE internet

Have not see one on this.Thanks for any help.
    I am trying to get off of dial-up and no dsl here.
    I have a cingular phone that I would like to hook up to my dest top PC without going to an express card.

You don't, plain and simple.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

You mean that Verison and sprint is the only one's that you can hook up this way.
      I am a first person shooter gamer and am trying to find a way to get a better connection.(get off of dial-up.}Any idea's?

Comment

Sattelite internet? Even if you get either cell internet or sat internet to work, your pings are going to KILL you because the latency in both networks are so outrageously high. With cingular, if you get the PDAnet plan on your phone, you could probably get net that MIGHT be acceptable, since PDA net traffic takes a higher priority over medianet traffic. PDAnet would also allow tethering under the TOS if I remember correctly. However, for the most part, you're screwed a a FPS gamer...
        Crawdaddy
        1991 Chevy Suburban 1500 w/SBC 350
        2005 Saturn ION 2 sedan

Suburban Worklog

"A local New Orleans man says his socks are finally dry..." -Tom Tucker, Family Guy

Comment

Thank's ,
          I am still reading all I can on the subject.Can not get sattelite for the tree's.

Comment

Still not going to be free

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyM View Post
              Still not going to be free
              That's my point. You're not going to get FREE internet.
              There are methods of getting mobile internet access on teh cheap, sure. But cheap is not free.
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

If you live the boonies, your only options are dialup ($), satellite ($$) or paying the company to run a line to your house ($$$).

And gprs over cell will be slower than any 56k dialup. If wanting to keep your phone line open and use the internet is the reason for wanting to switch, get a 2nd phone line. Although if your house isnt setup for it, then it will cost some money for that too.

fast cell internet is only available in some areas and that is usually highly populated areas, so not the boonies.
                Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

you might wanna check out howardforums.com it's a wealth of information on that site given what kinda phone you have and data plan you'll be able to possibly use the internet but it will be just as slow as dial up i believe unless your using like hspda(spelling)

Comment

well rat's!
                    Cingular show's that it will run at 200kbps and my dial up is 110kbps, so the cell would be a little faster would it not?

Comment

I am currently using Cingular intenet in my car PC through my Nokia N75 3G phone. I think the cheapest way to do it is to sign-up for their unlimited media access plan I think its about $20 more per month. The way I do it is to simply use the bluetooth teathering feature and run a dial-up connecton though the cell phone. The speed is not bad at all if you are in an area where you can get 3G connectivity. If not then you will be limited to GPRS speeds which are around 128K I think. I dont know the exact speed of the 3G connectivity however I am able to run internet radio, and my Sling Box TV at about 256K with very little skipping. Hope this helps.

Comment

But the farther from the towers you are, the slower it goes. And if you are in the boonies where you cany get cable or dsl, I bet the gprs speeds will be around 44kbps. I know in Colorado, the fastest I have gotten through unlimited pda gprs through my HTC phone, is about 56kbps. Usually around 44 because of all the trees/mountains.
                        Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                        1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                        30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                        15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                        Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

I am lucky on the tower part,got one just a mile away.So you think I would be better off useing a phone for a modem or just buy a card?
                          Thanks again for the help

Comment

A deditacted card is definatly the best solution if cost is not a factor. My understanding is that you will pay roughly $60 a month and need to sign a 2 year agreement with the card. If you run it through the cell phone you dont need a 2 year agreement and its only $20 more a month. You will however need to buy a new phone that supports 3g for the higher speeds, also my experience has been that when I run the internet through my phone if i am streaming anything that fills my bandwith my calls do not come in.

Comment

Working...
                            X