Millenicom wireless internet

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millenicom wireless internet

Just got my Millenicom wireless internet adapter today and while I don't have my Mac Mini ready to install yet (waiting for my screen fabrication) I decided to try this thing out with my iBook and it's great! Highly recommended for good high-speed internet anywhere you go - unlimited data for $49/month...

Looks cool. Wonder what areas they cover...
    2006 Lancer Evolution IX MR In-Dash PC Project - WIP

Planning:
    [----------] 100%
    Purchasing:
    [----------] 90%
    Installation/Fab/Assembly (Revised v2):
    [----------] 90%

Comment

They don't offer a coverage map, but claim they are the largest wireless internet provider in the US. You can email them from their site and they check your area for coverage for you and email you back with the results...

http://millenicom.com/mobilebroadband/index.html

Comment

What area are you in?

Planning:
        [----------] 100%
        Purchasing:
        [----------] 90%
        [----------] 90%

Comment

Memphis, TN.

if you notice, it shows up on the speed test as Sprint PCS as the ISP, but it's $10/month cheaper than Sprint for unlimited access and no contract - you can drop the service any time you wish.

Comment

Cool. Thanks for the info. I will ask them about download limits per month...

Planning:
            [----------] 100%
            Purchasing:
            [----------] 90%
            [----------] 90%

Comment

Originally posted by galvitron View Post
              Cool. Thanks for the info. I will ask them about download limits per month...
              No limits - it's unlimited bandwidth...

Comment

I've been looking into getting into Millenicom too. Have you gotten the GPS working yet? The USB adapter Millenicom doubles as a GPS receiver. I wonder if it's compatible with route buddy.

PS: Millenicom is indeed a reseller of Sprint EVDO data. So Sprint's coverage maps should give a pretty good indication of what areas are covered.

Comment

I haven't tried it with RouteBuddy as I bought a US GlobalSat receiver just for RB. Once I finish the installation I'll try it out and if the Millenicom works as a GPS in RB, I'll probably sell the USGS receiver.

Comment

Just to jump on the bandwagon...I use Millenicom for my home net access since I can't get DSL or cable and after having it for several months and I love it. FWIW, I'm in central Ohio.

Todd

Comment

Originally posted by ToddW65 View Post
                      Just to jump on the bandwagon...I use Millenicom for my home net access since I can't get DSL or cable and after having it for several months and I love it. FWIW, I'm in central Ohio.
                      Hey Todd, in the license agreement it mentions signing on and off, saying that if you leave it on for 24 hours or more they can terminate your agreement. This isn't an issue for me as the Mac will sleep when I'm not in the car, but I'm curious if you've had any issues using it at home. Do you leave it on 24/7 or just connect when you need to?

I tell you, for $50/month, it's a no-brainer for me. I'm going to grab a sling-box before my next trip with the family so we can access not only all our DVD's I've ripped to an external notebook (USB powered) drive but also watch anything on our DVR while on the road.

Comment

It's on 24/7 and so far no issues. I agree 100% with it being a no-brainer, especially where there aren't other options. Dialup was KILLING me! As far as using it on the road, I've done that a couple of times and it worked fine along major interstates. There are some areas though where the signal dropped to dialup speeds or disappeared altogether. Of course, YMMV, but all in all is well worth the $$ in my opinion.

Todd

Originally posted by crimsonaudio View Post
                        Hey Todd, in the license agreement it mentions signing on and off, saying that if you leave it on for 24 hours or more they can terminate your agreement. This isn't an issue for me as the Mac will sleep when I'm not in the car, but I'm curious if you've had any issues using it at home. Do you leave it on 24/7 or just connect when you need to?

I tell you, for $50/month, it's a no-brainer for me. I'm going to grab a sling-box before my next trip with the family so we can access not only all our DVD's I've ripped to an external notebook (USB powered) drive but also watch anything on our DVR while on the road.

Comment

I have it as well and im LOVING it although im not entirely impressed with the connection speeds they are fast enough to suit my needs in the car. I'm in Miami btw and have yet to find an area that isnt covered. I've had it installed and running 24/7 for almost a month now.
                          2003 Honda Accord EXL-V6
                          *MY INSTALL THREAD*

Comment

Originally posted by mnapoles View Post
                            ... im not entirely impressed with the connection speeds they are fast enough to suit my needs in the car.
                            Can't do much about it on the road, but for home use elevation makes a big difference.
                            Maybe some big tires & a whip antenna?

Comment

Are any of you guys using it for VOIP calls while driving or is that being extremely optimistic?

Comment

Working...
                              X