One microphone or three?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One microphone or three?

I intend to install three different devices in my van, all of which require a microphone. One is a CB, one is a ham radio, and the other is a PA amplifier which uses a similar microphone to the first two.

Having three devices requiring microphones, would it be possible to somehow use one microphone for all three, instead of having three different microphone cords hanging in my vehicle?

I'm thinking of soldering one microphone to a hub that has a switching mechanism that allows me to choose which device the microphone serves.
    Check out my GMC Savana worklog.

Remaining tasks to facilitate vanputer installation codename "Enterprise":
    - Edit skin to liking.
    - Get compatible phone for mobilephone.net.
    - Facilitate HVAC control.

That should work, a microphone is just a simple device with 2 output wires, high and low. All you need is a 3 pole switch, i dont have time before work to find you an example.

You might have some amplitude problems though, ie the mic might be too loud when you use it with the PA and too quiet when you use it with the CB, etc etc.

Comment

The CB will use a minimum of 4 wires, and yes, all 4 are usually used. TX, RX, Ground, and shield are most common, the shield usually acts as more than just a shield, it also helps for reducing feedback in a lot of mics. The ham, depending on the radio, will use 3-8 wires..TX, RX, and ground are the minimum 3..a yaesu/icom mic will not usually be compatible with a CB mic (it could be MADE to work, but it will usually sound like crap). IMO, as I posted in response to your antenna questions, I'd get a ham rig that can be converted to run on 11 meters as well..I'm a Yaesu fan, so I'd still stick with my reccomendation of an 857d..that will let you use 1 mic for both CB and ham, and it'll sound better than cobbling somthing together..What is make/model/etc of this PA amp you speak of? I can probably come up with a suggestion for a mic for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Werewolfx View Post
        The CB will use a minimum of 4 wires, and yes, all 4 are usually used. TX, RX, Ground, and shield are most common, the shield usually acts as more than just a shield, it also helps for reducing feedback in a lot of mics. The ham, depending on the radio, will use 3-8 wires..TX, RX, and ground are the minimum 3..a yaesu/icom mic will not usually be compatible with a CB mic (it could be MADE to work, but it will usually sound like crap). IMO, as I posted in response to your antenna questions, I'd get a ham rig that can be converted to run on 11 meters as well..I'm a Yaesu fan, so I'd still stick with my reccomendation of an 857d..that will let you use 1 mic for both CB and ham, and it'll sound better than cobbling somthing together..What is make/model/etc of this PA amp you speak of? I can probably come up with a suggestion for a mic for it.
        hmmm.. did not know that. thanks for clearing it up for stonestatue

Comment

The microphone is a permanent fixture on this unit, but if it becomes lucrative, I'm sure it's possible to solder a new microphone to the circuit board and implement a threaded connector on the face. I think this microphone has four wires as well. They're all black.

- Edit skin to liking.

Comment

*Text deleted by stonestatue.*

- Edit skin to liking.

Comment

*Text deleted by stonestatue.*

- Edit skin to liking.

Comment

That mic is a fairly high quality mic..its not the best, but it sounds good with a fairly wide range of voices. I'd stick with that and just run 2 mics..

In most states, PA speakers are illegal for use in traffic...Be careful who notices you using it.

As far as the CB/ham radio goes, what class of license do you have? That yaesu 857d covers pretty much all the phone/ssb mode band privileges for tech and general class licenses...You just need to pay pretty close attention to make sure you're not on a band where you don't have privileges for the mode you're using..

Comment

Originally posted by Werewolfx View Post
                  That mic is a fairly high quality mic..its not the best, but it sounds good with a fairly wide range of voices. I'd stick with that and just run 2 mics..

In most states, PA speakers are illegal for use in traffic...Be careful who notices you using it.

As far as the CB/ham radio goes, what class of license do you have? That yaesu 857d covers pretty much all the phone/ssb mode band privileges for tech and general class licenses...You just need to pay pretty close attention to make sure you're not on a band where you don't have privileges for the mode you're using..
                  I don't have any license yet. I'm going to take the exam for my technician class in two weeks though. I just want a radio that is a versatile as possible, so I don't have to get two or three radios when I eventually do upgrade to general then extra.

- Edit skin to liking.

Comment

Go with that yaesu 857d, you won't be disappointed..*some* of them have a faulty internal speaker, and the free replacements *can* have the same problem (distorted sound), but I remember seeing someplace that theres a different replacement speaker that fits and sounds perfect every time..Its a small flaw for such a high quality, feature packed radio, and its only in about 5% of the radios produced...

Comment

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I was wondering about something mentioned.

How would one go about making the Yaesu run on CB frequencies?

- Edit skin to liking.

Comment

You'll want to make sure that the microphone's impedance matches that of the devices you're using it with.

Comment

Working...
                        X