Mini-PCI WiFi antenna

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini-PCI WiFi antenna

I want to install an antenna on my carPC that can be placed either on the car (magnet/door) or somewhere inside the car. I know I need to use a u.FL connector off the card, but which pigtail do I get to mount a connector on the side of the carPC box?

Basically, I want to run an extension connected to the side of the box to a remotely placed antenna. Can I use any omni directional antenna?

What you need to look for is a pigtail with a u.FL on one end and a bulkhead connector on the other. I would probably use either an N connector or RP-SMA on the bulkhead side. Then all you need is an antenna with the matching connector. These guys should have everything you need:
    http://www.hyperlinktech.com/

Comment

I would go rp-tnc (linksys/cisco accesspoints) or rp-sma (d-stink access points). N is just too big, and harder to find stuff locally.

Here's the sizes you're going to be looking at. The N connector is the one in my hand, I'm holding it as close to the rp-tnc as I can without bending the cable too much. If you have a linksys wrt-54g then you know the size of an rp-tnc.
      Attached Files
      Failure is not an option....

It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

Comment

Depends on if you're talking about a high-speed wireless adapter card like this:
        http://www.netgear.com/Products/Adap...ome+Networking
        See how those cards have an antenna on them?

I use a Netgear card and bought one of the "RP-SMA on the bulkhead side" connectors like rockhammer said. Got mine on boomj.com.

I went to Home Depot, bought a round-topped 2" pvc pipe cap, drilled it as necc for the antenna cable, put a homemade bottom on it with a strong round magnet with plastic cover, so as to not scratch car. You get the idea, and it actually looks pretty tech; not krappy...

It's neat to go into town, set it on the car roof, or top of hatchback, and search for available networks that permit useage. Sets inside car on flat surface or magnetic surface.
        Happy CarPC'ing!

Comment

Here's my mod for antenna:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
          Happy CarPC'ing!

Comment

I went with rp-SMA bulkhead.

there are 3 that you can see there.
            1. u.FL-RP-SMA for the mini-PCI WLAN (atheros chipset by Senao)
            2. u.FL-RP-SMA for USB-UMTS
            3. SMA-RP-SMA for USB GPS adaptor from sparkfun.

I ran all three to the roof to this
            CarPC Ver 4 completed. Aopen i45GMT-HD, C2D mobile 2GHz. Photofast 64GB SSD. Novatel EU-850D

Comment

Nice!!
              Failure is not an option....

It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockhammer View Post
                What you need to look for is a pigtail with a u.FL on one end and a bulkhead connector on the other. I would probably use either an N connector or RP-SMA on the bulkhead side. Then all you need is an antenna with the matching connector. These guys should have everything you need:
                http://www.hyperlinktech.com/
                Thanks for the link, ordered my pig-tail, extension cable and rubber-ducky. Got them all the next day as hyperlinktech was in the next town over from me .

Thanks
                My Install

Comment

Very Nice! (I joined just to comment on this)...

Originally posted by brucedog View Post
                  Here's my mod for antenna:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
                  @Brucedog:
                  Awesome, awesome--I love the disc under that magnet! Would look super-clean on any car with white paint, too!

I'm going to make one, this has got to be the simplest, cleanest-looking antenna-mod I've seen anywhere!

Could you use it for other stuff, too? Like--ever think of putting a quick-connect end plug on it, and using it for your standard FM antenna? Or, maybe even something goonie like testing it with a scanner, etc.?

It's perfect, just looks too cool to be single-purpose...I'm buying parts for mine today, BTW.

Comment

Hi Mike,

I feel kinda bad that I originally joined mp3car to learn about and build my own carPC/music system setup, then did not come back to mp3.. for a long time. I have learned, designed, modded, and am satisfied. Many guys keep adding/subtracting and changing things, but I am pretty happy...
                    My little mag-mount antenna consists of the antenna that came with my NetGear card in my carPC, a reverse polarity ("RP") SMA cable, a 1 1/2" pvc pipe cap, the lid off some garlic stuff'd olives, a strong Radio Shack circular disc magnet, to which I glued a piece of soft but strong foam material.
                    The only "rule" that I tend to follow is that I satisfy myself, build something that works and lasts. I love to recycle and find old stuff to re-use. To me, there's no virtue in spending hard-earned $$ unnecessarily!
                    The SMA cable is about ten ft long, and although it generally lives in the car, stuck to a magnetic surface, I can stretch it out and put on roof or even on top of hatchback for greater elevation and connect to local hotels wi-fi, wherever I can get signal. Best of luck and skill on YOUR project!
                    Happy CarPC'ing!

Comment

To be honest, I do a lot of that--worse, actually--get some 'wild hair', then run out of 'expendable income' to afford the new parts...it's the exact reason I do exactly what you mentioned, even if I do take things a bit too far, for myself sometimes...yard sales, consignment stores, the local flea market--sometimes I find myself getting obsessed with some idea I have. I want to kick myself if I don't get some crazy 'prototype' done before I find out somebody else has done it, even though waiting always helps with the execution (right?). So, lately I've even begun having some pretty intense brainstorming sessions, where I literally sit down (or not!) and go through some simple, basic parts I may (or even not!) need for some projects I've had in mind. If you run around with more than one seriously underway and no idea about parts, you'll end up looking a little nutty (hence my hair). Speaking for myself, if I put no forethought into 'alternative' parts (i.e. somebody else's TRASH!) I end up with 'multiple messes'.
                      I've been watching 'KipKay' on his self-named site, and even subscribed to 'Make Magazine's' Youtube channel recently. Too many irons in the fire already (KipKay's 'Altoids Soldering Defumigator Fan assembly' is my current fave for him), and two others, but I did get a neat little project done a few weeks back...tried to find my pics of it on FB where I left 'em...but somehow, they're missing right when I wanted to link to them here. They're on my laptop, I'll post them next...

Comment

I found my pics of another project I made about two mos. ago--FB keeps changing--even the apparent location of some photo albums...
                        here's that link...I'll talk more about it later (Final 4 + Cincy Reds live='major distraction')
                        Guitar Rack (regular OR console)

Comment

Hey Mike,
                          Before I begin to reply, maybe you could contact my son, Trent Sutherland. He lives in Philly, writes his own songs/music, and is making a great start. Maybe you could friend him. Connections can make us all more sucessful...

Yeah, I was totally on fire when I first learned that guys were putting PC's in cars. My main goal was to use a PC for the basis of an advanced audio system, and it worked out great. I got a big
                          18" x 24" newsprint sketch pad from an artists supply store and began sketching my own design, also making cardboard scale mosels of PC, amps, control and junction boxes. I discovered partsexpress.com and founf most parts there, speakers, amplifiers, l-pads, you name it.

I am not rich or living with my mom, so I had to buy (for example) Pyramid amplifiers and speakers, plus partsexpress speaker kits. Much of my car system is unusual and different from what a lot of guys have installed, but let me mention that I am older than most guys on mp3car and have been electronic geek since a verrrry young age; hence I have a reather different vison of what I want, and was willing to build most of my equipment, rather than get it out of a box, or have somebody else install it for me.

So, when you talk about going over budget, or being obsessed with "too many" irons in the fire...I can TOTALLY relate. I have not added to my carPC system for awhile, but there were nights when I was bulding it, that I pulled the car into the somewhat warm garage and worked 'till 1AM, only to get 4 hrs sleep, then off to work! But it was worth it, beacause I knew that many dedicated men have done the same to achieve some really impressive results. That's what it takes sometimes to go over the top and make something that is really special.

Like I wrote, I am verry big on conceptualizing on paper. I have "wasted" a lot of pads, just coming up with designs that work for me. Always evolving... I have kept most of my notes and definitely kept the final drawings and schematics of the terminal strips and such in my car, so for future adventures, I can refer to them and build.

OK, have a great one and always have fun. Work hard, but always have some fun, do not be afraid to go out there and do something different. Guys may make cute remarks, but LISTEN to your system and how great it sounds; people are jealous...
                          Happy CarPC'ing!

Comment

Originally posted by brucedog View Post
                            i think it is important to remember that this is a public forum, and while many of us don't care about someones specific name/email, i am sure there are many spammers--that don't need a login to view posts-- that would love to get a hold of a name that they can use for their own benefit.. for the sake of your son, i think it would be best to edit his name out. i would hate to see it get into the wrong hands.. like most matters like this, i prefer to keep specific info limited to PM's, or emails-- this way, if the info gets out, i have only one person to blame.
                            My OLD 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT:
                            "The Project That Never Ended, until it did"

next project? subaru brz
                            carpc undecided

Comment

Hello,

The pigtail cable RP TNC female to IPX is needed .
                              fromhttp://www.rfsupplier.com/product_in...roducts_id=318

Comment

Working...
                              X