Wireless Only ever connects at 11mbps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Only ever connects at 11mbps

I have an Alfa500mW. It's a USB 2.0 Network Controller. Broken down it's a realtek chipset. I have the updated drivers etc. My problemis that it only ever connects at 11.0 Never 24, 36, 54 etc... It is Wirelss G/B and my wirelss router at home is G/B. Even when within 2 feet of it only still only 11. I have tried many other connections as well and no luck. The card and router are setup for G...I have tried everything.. Any ideas?

Originally posted by Dougw133 View Post
    I have an Alfa500mW. It's a USB 2.0 Network Controller. Broken down it's a realtek chipset. I have the updated drivers etc. My problemis that it only ever connects at 11.0 Never 24, 36, 54 etc... It is Wirelss G/B and my wirelss router at home is G/B. Even when within 2 feet of it only still only 11. I have tried many other connections as well and no luck. The card and router are setup for G...I have tried everything.. Any ideas?
    Have you tried connecting a different adapter and that adapter with a different router? One or the other could be bad, damaged antenna or something internal. The first step is to see which device is the culprit. There is also the possibility of interference. Try moving both to a different location in the house.
    ~Jimmy

Comment

I have tried with different routers so it is not them...I have tried both the utility provided as well as windows zero configuration.

Comment

Some routers allow "G" only operation. See if your router supports, and throw it into "G" only. Sounds like your adapter isn't doing "G" at all. You can check the device properties from the device manager and see if maybe it's set to "B" only. Sorry for such general instructions, I'm on my laptop, no windows here so I couldn't walk thru it to tell you what specifically to look for.
        Tidder

Try RevFE
        The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Got ya...Thanks. I'll give it a try

Comment

Alright well it connects fine at 54 when I set my router to "G" only. It seems it is prioritzing B before G. I don't see anywhere in the device settings to change this..

Comment

Hmm... how strange man. Have you looked for new/older/different drivers for it? Maybe going back to an older driver, or using a driver for a different adapter that has the same chipset would knock this problem out.
              Tidder

Try RevFE
              The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

I have used two versions of the drivers as well as using the provided utitlity. Even with the CD that came with it this problem remains.. I have done a lot of seearching and it doesn't seem to be a common problem...Who knows...I am going to mess with it some more tomorrow. Thanks

Comment

you're plugging into a USB 1.1 port.
                  02 Acura RSX
                  Aspre Revo
                  7" IMO USB Monitor
                  XBMC
                  Homemade control knob
                  Mobile Internet via Blackberry

Progress?
                  <0%----------Infiinite>
                  This project will never be complete

Comment

I was just jumping on here to point out a possible USB problem...I have all USB 2.0 Capable ports on my Jetway C7 Motherboard, however XP won't recognize any of them as USB 2.0.. I have updated drivers etc...I am pullsing my hair out.

Comment

Solved: Was the USB Problem. It was only running running the 2.0 Adapter at 1.1 therefor reverting it only to 11mbps. Thanks all.

Comment

Working...
                      X