Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of setup do you have for a PCMCIA Card?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of setup do you have for a PCMCIA Card?

I have a t-mobile air card and I am looking for an easy setup with my car-puter. I have a voompc setup so I will not be able to use a enternal PCI card.

I would like to have a setup where I dont need to click a button to connect every time. I want it to be connected all the time.

I was thinking about getting the "Kyocera KR1 Mobile Router". Does anyone have this setup? or something similar?
    2003 E46 BMW
    Lilliput Transflective, GM965 mobo w/ Processor
    ELMSCAN 5 USB, Slot load DVD, BU-353 GPS
    Everything is for sale.

really? no one?
    2003 E46 BMW
    Everything is for sale.

Comment

I decided to go with a USB setup. It was much easier to setup. I am a Sprint customer so i decided to go with a Sprint Air Card USB, the Sierra 595u to be exact. As soon as I hit anything that is internet based it dials out and connects rather fast. It is a EVDO Rev. A device, so its very fast, almost the same speed as high speed internet. Now draw backs are that this cannot be used to connect to Wi-FI hot spot or access point. To do that I bought a USB Belkin 54G adapter. It is very rare that I will use it because i am mainly on the road moving, so the Air Card is a great investment. When I leave the car, I simply pull the unit out of its docking station which is very handy, and because the unit is very small I can put it in my pocket. Also comes with a battery to help power the unit incase USB doesnt have enough power at some point to 100% power the unit.

PS: I see your with T-Mobile, and i see they do not offer a USB based card.... that sucks. Maybe you should consider switching to Sprint? They are 59.99 instead of 49.99 like T-Mobile, but its also wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy faster then EDGE, which T-Mobile uses. So by switching, you get a better selection of products and faster speeds.
      Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
      4X MK808b
      3x Perixx Touchpads
      3x 7 inch Screens
      1X 7 inch motorized Screen
      1x Win 7 PC

Comment

I only pay 9.99 a month for my aircard with my t-mobile plan. I cant really complain.

that is a pretty cool setup you have. I might have to talk a look at it.
        2003 E46 BMW
        Everything is for sale.

Comment

Did use T-Mobile PCMCIA, but company changed to verizon, so went to EVDO USB device. Now use the PCMCIA slot for a 4 port USB card. EVDO connects when the car is turned on and stays connected as long as there is a signal. All done in the background (reconnects when signal re-establishes).
          My opinion is my own.

Comment

Originally posted by polo6979 View Post
            I only pay 9.99 a month for my aircard with my t-mobile plan. I cant really complain.

that is a pretty cool setup you have. I might have to talk a look at it.
            my setup is a nightmare............ so nightmarish that I had to pull it all out and now putting it back in correctly the way I should have.
            Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
            4X MK808b
            3x Perixx Touchpads
            3x 7 inch Screens
            1X 7 inch motorized Screen
            1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Working...
            X