Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CarPC Internet

OK,

First of all, im brand new here. Im looking into building a CarPC. So, this is my hello world post. My main issue at this point would be how to get decent internet connection in my car. Any help would be great.
    My 2007 Jeep Wrangler Worklog

Verizonwireless mobile broadband or Sprint mobile broadband.

Not the cheapest way but the best/fastest/easiest way.
    My 2007 Yukon XL setup. http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...64-5000-a.html

Comment

Ok

I figured that was the way to go. Does Verizon have Desktop cards?

Comment

verizon has USB cell cards. They seem to work ok. The only issue I have seen with them is they provide a Y cable to plug into 2 USB ports on the computer because it pulls more than 500ma of power. My cousin has had good results not using the Y-cable on his laptop, but YMMV
        Crawdaddy
        1991 Chevy Suburban 1500 w/SBC 350
        2005 Saturn ION 2 sedan

Suburban Worklog

"A local New Orleans man says his socks are finally dry..." -Tom Tucker, Family Guy

Comment

I use a Sprint usb broadband modem. Works great but not the cheapest. Tether a 3G smartphone if you got one.
          My BMW E46 carpc
          My iGuidance 4 skin
          FS transflective 2008 lilliput

Comment

cheaper verizon option would be to buy a used (ebay) motorola e815 phone and use that as a tethering modem thats what i do.. no 2 year agreement that way either.
            mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
            Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
            Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

Sonic, is that very fast?

Comment

i wouldnt call it VERY fast... i'd compare it to 700k dsl which is more than whats needed for a car setup. It offers some flexibility as well. You can buy a data cable and use usb to charge/connect or you can connect via bluetooth like i do. I would imagine that the bluetooth option slows things down the further the phone is from the bluetooth dongle but i never have problems with slowness. As i said the nice part ist he cost, you can buy an e815 phone on ebay for 30 bucks, call verizon and add broadband access connect to your existing VWZ account and cancel it anytime u wish. No contracts no hassles. The e815 isnt the only phone it works with either. If you have a newer verizon phone (> 2 years) chances are you can add BBA to your existing phone and use that as your modem. It doesnt interrupt receiving calls. The modem just goes into dormant mode when a call is received.
                mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
                Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
                Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

Comment

i cant wait until they do pay as you go service for that. Because I wont need internet all the time. So pay as you go would be great. I don't want to to sign another contract for 2 years.
                  Pay as you go is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by capcadetjc View Post
                    I figured that was the way to go. Does Verizon have Desktop cards?
                    You could get a daugher PCMCIA adapter card from the store.
                    Check out my GMC Savana worklog.

Remaining tasks to facilitate vanputer installation codename "Enterprise":
                    - Edit skin to liking.
                    - Get compatible phone for mobilephone.net.
                    - Facilitate HVAC control.

Comment

I had a motorola Q and wireless broadband from verizon. It worked great. The Q worked as the modem and i could hook up my laptop to the usb tether and surf the internet with my laptop connected to the Q. Worked fine when i was mobile also.

Was too expensive though. Broadband speeds were good, about DSL speed in my area.

Comment

Yeah, Verizon has the wireless Broadband market locked but, now Sprint is stepping their promotion up and T-Mobile is joining the game. So, in the next 6 months to a year the price will probably drop do to the competition.

Comment

Working...
                        X