Computer control of ham radios?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer control of ham radios?

I am a licensed ham and I intend to put a ham radio in my van. The radio I choose should be as versatile as possible, able to run on HF, VHF, and UHF bands if possible. I have narrowed it down to two radios:
    Yaesu FT-857D and FT-897D.

I'm assuming the FT-897D is a higher end version of the 857, since it has a higher model number. The thing I'm wondering is if it's possible to interface either of these radios with a computer, and if so, what can be done.

I know it's possible to control a some Uniden scanners with Butel's scanner control software, and Digital FX even has a skin for that. But is it possible to do something similar with a ham radio?
    Check out my GMC Savana worklog.

Remaining tasks to facilitate vanputer installation codename "Enterprise":
    - Edit skin to liking.
    - Get compatible phone for mobilephone.net.
    - Facilitate HVAC control.

Anyone?

- Edit skin to liking.

Comment

I know I've seen at least 2 pretty popular, robust software programs for interfacing ham base stations, while I was looking for that CB control software, a while back. I don't have time to look again right now, but I know they're out there.
      It's been a while...

Comment

Might want to look at:

Ham Radio Deluxe.

http://www.ham-radio-deluxe.com/

I believe the 857 and 897 are pretty similar in performance but the 857 is a mobile
        and the 897 is a manpack design that can include batteries or a internal tuner.

Jeff

Comment

Would this be embeddable in Digital FX (Road Runner), or would it run externally?

- Edit skin to liking.

Comment

Working...
          X