Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building a small wireless network 1 mile apart.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Building a small wireless network 1 mile apart.

    hi my uncle and I are doing a joint payment on a highspeed internet connection from our local ISP..(ADSL).Its a 2 user connection but the only thing is that we live about half a mile apart but have a clear line of sight.If i go on my rooftop I can be able to see his house basically without any obstructions.I was hoping if you guys could tell me what good wireless equipment I would need to get to join these two links together.I already ordered a wireless router which i think has removable antennas so I might be able to connect a directional anttenna to it.I would like to know what antennas,male/females adapters types and accessories to make this connection successful...Thank you.
    The wireless router I am considering is this 1
    http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Cisco-...ev_itm_title_1

    Any other great linksys wireless router that you recommend would be greatly appreciated.

  • #2
    Generally a bad idea, the wireless connection will be bad during bad weather. I am guessing that you are just doing a networking ie intranet between the 2 houses. Why not just do it via the Internet?

    If you are sharing the internet via this wireless network, I would advice that you switch your plan to a 1 user one, I would expect a 2 user adsl to be able to login from both sides simultaneously.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by platinumsteel View Post
      hi my uncle and I are doing a joint payment on a highspeed internet connection from our local ISP..(ADSL).Its a 2 user connection but the only thing is that we live about half a mile apart but have a clear line of sight.If i go on my rooftop I can be able to see his house basically without any obstructions.I was hoping if you guys could tell me what good wireless equipment I would need to get to join these two links together.I already ordered a wireless router which i think has removable antennas so I might be able to connect a directional anttenna to it.I would like to know what antennas,male/females adapters types and accessories to make this connection successful...Thank you.
      The wireless router I am considering is this 1
      http://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Cisco-...ev_itm_title_1

      Any other great linksys wireless router that you recommend would be greatly appreciated.
      The wrt's are great, but even with line of sight and "regular" external antenna's (I use 2-7db), you're not going to get more than a few hundred feet out of the router. I share with my neighbor and we only get maybe 200ft, but we live in a pine forest (supposedly eats wireless signals). What you will need is something along these lines for reliable usage.

      http://cgi.ebay.com/38-5dBm-802-11b-...3A1%7C294%3A50

      http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Zyxel-ZyAIR-...1%7C240%3A1318

      Maybe one of these on each end.

      http://cgi.ebay.com/2-4GHz-18dBi-Out...1%7C240%3A1318

      If you aren't in a hurry, I just bought one of these to try.
      My opinion is my own.

      Comment


      • #4
        You may also want to search the internet for how to make your own directional antennaes
        HARDWARE: Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111w/WiFi and dock, internal Hitachi 500G HD, external 1TB HD, Sierra Wireless Aircard 550, DVD-RW, BoomzBox HD radio, XM Commander, Delorme GPS, Saitek X-52 Pro joystick, BluSoleil Bluetooth, TPMS, FB, Elm327

        Comment


        • #5
          You could get a wireless N+ MIMO router and antennas for it, I did, and I get almost a mile outta them
          After a 2 year break, I'm back! There are so many new and familiar faces here!
          New vehicle, new ideas!

          Chryssi - The Changeling CarPC Project

          Comment


          • #6
            thanks danielkh you seem to understand what i want...some really interesting equipment there...thanks

            Comment


            • #7
              You want to build something called a Yagi antenna, although a 1.5 miles is pretty far. You'll need unobstructed view and some time aiming it.

              You can build them out of Pringle's cans. Google it and you'll find lots of designs.
              Originally posted by ghettocruzer
              I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
              Want to:
              -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
              -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

              Comment


              • #8
                http://cgi.ebay.com/2-4GHz-18dBi-Out...1%7C240%3A1318

                Finally got everything in, but due to the cold, all I did was set the antenna outside and roughly aimed it in the direction I wanted to cover. I now have full signal where I used to have nothing, and it's through a pine forest (once mounted on the roof, it will be closer to line of site). Probably a football field with pine trees.

                Setup is the above antenna with a wrt54g router running dd-wrt at I believe 100% power. I haven't logged into the router to check yet. Line of site, I would say you would do pretty good. Especially if you have another antenna at the receiving end.
                My opinion is my own.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Also just so you know you can setup an EXTREMELY directional signal using an old satellite dish and pointing it directly at the receiver (usually another sat. dish).

                  You can get about 3 to 4 miles out of that max I have seen working. We did this at our highschool. 2 old dishnetwork satellites from ebay and some soldering and electronics and we had private internet node at high school. They blocked pretty much all the sites so even doing school work was hard, hence the need.

                  I would look into that and then nobody would even see the network unless they intercept the very direct beam.
                  Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                  1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                  30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                  15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                  Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Here is a quick google search link: http://www.wonderhowto.com/wonder-of...-wifi-booster/

                    I havent watched the video but I assume it is what I am talking about.
                    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 2k1Toaster View Post
                      Also just so you know you can setup an EXTREMELY directional signal using an old satellite dish and pointing it directly at the receiver (usually another sat. dish).

                      You can get about 3 to 4 miles out of that max I have seen working. We did this at our highschool. 2 old dishnetwork satellites from ebay and some soldering and electronics and we had private internet node at high school. They blocked pretty much all the sites so even doing school work was hard, hence the need.

                      I would look into that and then nobody would even see the network unless they intercept the very direct beam.
                      I actually thought about that since I still have a sat dish on the roof that isn't used since cable moved into our area, but the reason I went with a flat panel antenna is because I have to hit two places (guesthouse and neighbors) in a horizontal line. Great information, though, for the person asking the question!
                      My opinion is my own.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        You could also use wireless Extenders / Repeaters. This would mean you would have to power each unit though. If you bought high powered versions you may only need 3 of them. My neighbor is 2 cheap to pay full price for highspeed internet so I simply placed a extender inbetween the houses which gives him 100% signal. Mind you this is going through several walls of each house and a gap inbetween houses.
                        Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

                        1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                        4X MK808b
                        3x Perixx Touchpads
                        3x 7 inch Screens
                        1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                        1x Win 7 PC

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by HiJackZX1 View Post
                          You could also use wireless Extenders / Repeaters. This would mean you would have to power each unit though. If you bought high powered versions you may only need 3 of them. My neighbor is 2 cheap to pay full price for highspeed internet so I simply placed a extender inbetween the houses which gives him 100% signal. Mind you this is going through several walls of each house and a gap inbetween houses.
                          But again you are broadcasting your wireless signal omnidirectional at every extender. And every extender must be placed on your property or with permission of whoever owns the property. Which means you are very dependant on other people to maintain your hardware. 2 directional links between the sources is the best way to go.
                          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Platinumsteel: I cannot answer your questions in pm's if you have them blocked!
                            My opinion is my own.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X