Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you update your carpc's music content wireless?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you update your carpc's music content wireless?

Just wondering how many of you guys with carpc's take advantage of the wireless technology and update your car's music librabry via Wifi?

Also what antenna is best suited for the car?

I do, my usb adapter has a nice antenna on it already, but can be removed. Link I park about 50 - 75 ft away, get good signal. I will probably be getting the multi antenna from sparkfun. Link For now its the stock antenna, mounted high in the car, works fine.

Comment

I do as well...UltraVNC and I fireup the carputer using my alarm remote...
      I have a USB Wi-Fi adapter with a 7dB gain, external antenna. Perfect...

Comment

Aside from already having 10,000 karaoke tracks on board for passengers to sing to, my car music collection consists of 95% music videos, all of which are downloaded from the internet. Having an always on, high-speed mobile internet connection has helped me out in that respect.

Nevertheless, I do use wifi at times, but only for war driving. As far as the antenna is concerned, it's from a fixed WRT54G Linksys router disguised on the rear package tray.

Check out my CARPC: Project Diamond Plate

Quick Reference:
        CPU Electrical Specs
        Power Supply Calculator

Video Connections for newbies
        Temperature Converter
        Voltage Calculator

Comment

I use Allway Sync if I update it with just an album so it doesn't take long.
          I use this adapter with an external antenna.
          I get about 4 bars from about 100ft away, in my room. Router is a wrt54gs, boosted Tx power by 10mw.
          transfer speed is between 800-1000KB/s

Comment

I use wireless, but not any kind of synching program.
            All my music is shared on my network, so I just access my music share and drag/drop.
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by dMand View Post
              Aside from already having 10,000 karaoke tracks on board for passengers to sing to, my car music collection consists of 95% music videos, all of which are downloaded from the internet. Having an always on, high-speed mobile internet connection has helped me out in that respect.

Nevertheless, I do use wifi at times, but only for war driving. As far as the antenna is concerned, it's from a fixed WRT54G Linksys router disguised on the rear package tray.

How much does THAT cost you a month?

Comment

Ever since I switched to having a large hard drive for my music, updating it wirelessly requires me to run back and forth from the house to the car... kind of a hassle. I had to turn on my laptop, run to the car, start up the carpc, run back inside, run synctoy on my laptop, finish, run back to the car, shut down the carpc. This especially sucks in the winter if I didnt park my car in the garage.

I'm waiting for parts to build a Windows Home Server machine, so hopefully that should simplify things a bit. Then I can just run Synctoy from the car before driving off to school/work.

Comment

Wireless router directly over my car in the carport. When I pull in, car connects, StreetDeck links to the home network and syncs music library.
                  My opinion is my own.

Comment

I have VNC and a 250GB HD on a network share, so I update my music with that.
                    After a 2 year break, I'm back! There are so many new and familiar faces here!
                    New vehicle, new ideas!

Chryssi - The Changeling CarPC Project

Comment

I think quite a few of us use Wifi. Just so you know, Upd8 (there may be others) automatically detects the share folder and updates your media. Usually when you arrive home, not so much when your booting up and driving away. It does help a lot. SyncToy seems slow for me and gives me errors sometimes, but it could be that some patch isn't updated or something. Of course I use the CuriousTech remote (shameless plug) to turn it on and off. Never used VNC but the Windows remote desktop works pretty well and saves a lot of running back and forth when I'm testing new software and such.

Comment

^Upd8 seems very interesting...especially the auto updating ability. Wish something like that would exist for Centrafuse or even a standalone Windows application.

edit: nvm...didnt see the original version link. Going to try it out now...

Comment

Originally posted by nobb View Post
                          ^Upd8 seems very interesting...especially the auto updating ability. Wish something like that would exist for Centrafuse or even a standalone Windows application.

edit: nvm...didnt see the original version link. Going to try it out now...

CF one is coming.

hopefully by the end of the month

Comment

Working...
                          X