Verizon Wireless MIFI .

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verizon Wireless MIFI .

I picked this unit up over the weekend. I am planning to use it in my carputer installation.

At home i've tested it and it works flawlessly. I have yet to see it in the real-world (moving @ 70mph in the car)

It is very small. same length as a credit card, about 2mm taller in height.
    thickness is about 4 credit cards stacked together.

Somethings i've noted about the unit.

--Tends to get preeety warm if your are downloading something and the 3g connection is preety low.

-- It has a Micro-USB connector, i thought i cud simply plug in my 8900 blackberry car charger....the unit gets VERY warm with that charger..possbily too much current.
    I will have to get a dedicated cigarette charging plug.
    *it can be charged by connecting directly to the computer, but i believe it disables the wifi mode.
    Will have to test out some more.

other than those few things, for those who have the money, it is a worthy buy.

Right now it is priced @ $100 with a $50 mail in rebate.
    trinybwoy

2006 Mazda6 Carpc

2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

How long does the battery last? With real world usage... I don't care what Verizon's website says, they lie imo.

I've been looking at getting one too. Have you tried to connect more than 5 computers to it yet? I wonder how they're limiting the connections...
    Tidder

Try RevFE
    The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

i havent tested the battery life as yet, i can run a test for you later.

i have only connected two machines thus far.
      i will test out 5 later tonight.
      probably try and stream hulu on everyone one them.

they are limiting connections via mac address.
      the dhcp is limited to dish out a total of 10 IP addresses.
      trinybwoy

2006 Mazda6 Carpc

2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

Comment

Mac address... gah those sneaky snakes.

Very cool, I look forward to hearing what you find out, thanks for checking this out.
        Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

after about a week with the aircard......

works wonderfully in the car.

it is able to sustain a constant 3g connection driving @ 85mph .

if connecting ipod touch to mifi you will NOT be able to watch any youtube videos. its blocked. neither the youtube app or any youtube videos on webpages work.
          verizon most likely blocked it via their proxy.
          thats funny, cuz it works on my blackerry and on the pc. guess verizon doesnt like ipods

the device tends to run very warm if your downloading large files/viewing videos/ or if the wireless signal is low.

the battery lasts from 2-3hrs depending on how ur surfing.

other than that , i am very happy with my purchase.
          had my family bring their laptops in the car while we drove to Connecticut. they were really happy with my mobile internet lol.
          trinybwoy

2006 Mazda6 Carpc

2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

Comment

Can you run a speed test (ie Speetest.net) and post your results?
            MikeH

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
              most certainly.
              give me a few days, i just loaned the aircard to my girlfreind.
              she just moved to a new house and the lack of internet is killing her lol
              trinybwoy

2006 Mazda6 Carpc

2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

Comment

Way nice, I guess I know what I'm gonna be upgrading my USB720 to...
                Tidder

Try RevFE

Comment

Originally posted by Tidder View Post
                  Way nice, I guess I know what I'm gonna be upgrading my USB720 to...
                  lol my girlfriend likes it alot..she says its "cute"

she was asking me all sorts of stuff about it, she's thinking of replacing her home internet with it lol
                  trinybwoy

2006 Mazda6 Carpc

2008 Acura TSX Nexus 7

Comment

I guess what I mean is, you may want to check this out before you jump to a 3G solution. Depending on where you are the WiMax network may be a much better deal.
                    MikeH

Comment

I checked into those in the last few weeks and wonder if you have checked wifi range-
                      I have a need for something that can get 100 feet or so.
                      From what I have been able to find for online info, range is only about 30 feet or so.

Have you tested how far away you can connect from using WiFi?

Comment

MikeH

Comment

Hmn, now to get unlimited devices, I wonder how they actually limit the number of users. If they limit it by the router's ability it would be hard to get around, but if they limit in the number of wireless connections, that would be easy to work around. Wirelessly connect a wifi to ethernet bridge to it and then connect an access point to that =)

Originally posted by rogerdugans View Post
                          I checked into those in the last few weeks and wonder if you have checked wifi range-
                          I have a need for something that can get 100 feet or so.
                          From what I have been able to find for online info, range is only about 30 feet or so.

Have you tested how far away you can connect from using WiFi?
                          This could also solve any range issues. You can also get a good wireless repeater in this instance.
                          My Nearly Complete Car:
                          http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ed-car-pc.html

Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet
                          http://www.mp3car.com/fusion-brain/1...-internet.html

Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)
                          http://paulfurtado.com/

Comment

Hmn... generic solution for everyone on any network... unlimited users.
                            http://www.amazon.com/Netgear-Mobile...4591984&sr=1-1
                            My Nearly Complete Car:
                            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ed-car-pc.html

Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet
                            http://www.mp3car.com/fusion-brain/1...-internet.html

Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)
                            http://paulfurtado.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X