Run Dial Up Networking Silently in Background

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run Dial Up Networking Silently in Background

I have a Verizon Expresscard and an unlimited Data Plan. I use regular windows (win7) Dial-up Networking to connect. I also run Road Runner.

I have it automatically dialing and it connects fine but i am wondering what i can do about these annoying pop up windows. Everytime it connects, redials or fails to connect it pops a window up.

How can i get it to run silently in the background or atleast keep it from popping up on top of the road runner interface?

Any ideas?
    -Jesus- King of Kings Lord of Lords

Do you know any programming languages?
    My Nearly Complete Car:
    http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ed-car-pc.html

Micro Control Center... Control Your Car Across the Internet
    http://www.mp3car.com/fusion-brain/1...-internet.html

Website: (It's a work in progress, really. All my projects have taken me from ever really developing it.)
    http://paulfurtado.com/

Comment

Nope, I am a network Engineer. Never got into the Software Side.

Comment

Are you talking about the notification balloons that come up by the system tray or the dialogs associated with establishing the connection?

Either can be suppressed, but how to do so is obviously very different.

The DUN dialogs is all settings within the connectoid. I wrote a how-to about connecting to a bluetooth tethered phone via AT&T some time ago, and I believe it has the settings to suppress all, if not most of the dialogs.

The announcement balloons can be disabled through the registry, I believe.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I am not speaking of the balloon tips, it is the dialog boxes that come up. I noticed several boxes that can be checked that remove the need for user input... i.e. prompt for username and prompt for password but the dialog that keeps coming up is the error when it can't connect and it is retrying. I think it is error 629 or something. It happens when i am out of range.

What section is that how to in?

Comment

Originally posted by antimatter View Post
            I am not speaking of the balloon tips, it is the dialog boxes that come up. I noticed several boxes that can be checked that remove the need for user input... i.e. prompt for username and prompt for password but the dialog that keeps coming up is the error when it can't connect and it is retrying. I think it is error 629 or something. It happens when i am out of range.

What section is that how to in?
            Hmmmm.
            The "failed to connect" error dialogs, I'm not certain how to surpress. I don't know if my setup did that, as I was mostly concerned with removing any dialogs requiring input like clicking CONNECT or entering a password.

The how-to is a sticky in the Wireless Communications forum: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/wire...bluetooth.html
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert View Post
              Hmmmm.
              The "failed to connect" error dialogs, I'm not certain how to surpress. I don't know if my setup did that, as I was mostly concerned with removing any dialogs requiring input like clicking CONNECT or entering a password.

The how-to is a sticky in the Wireless Communications forum: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/wire...bluetooth.html
              Worst case scenerio, i can just use the Verizon Access manager but i was hoping to avoid that because it is a bloated peice of crapware. Since the card i have is a Dell branded card (5700 expresscard) there is a slim dell utility but i can only install it on approved Dell systems (kinda lame when the card is an external card)

Maybe a third party DUN utlility that has better options???

Comment

If each dial costs, then I can see their reluctance to NOT notify you.

I can only speak for home-PC dial-ups where the "auto" number of retries could be set from zero upwards (default was often 3 for windoze - no wonder telcos loved them), etc etc.

Comment

[email protected] I forgot the mode, but there is a mode that puts the card into a always on mode. When you do it that way the card is no longer installed as a modem, but as a network card. Meaning if you disconnect you dont see that dial up [email protected] Instead you would just see a ethernet unplugged ballon or disconnected from wireless network icon, which is also a ballon. Let me get the name of the mode its called.
                  Nirwana Project, the Android/Win 7 hybrid system!

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                  4X MK808b
                  3x Perixx Touchpads
                  3x 7 inch Screens
                  1X 7 inch motorized Screen
                  1x Win 7 PC

Comment

OK, its called NDIS mode. I dont know how Verizon's software works, but in Sprint Smart View you open options, then go to the Mobile Tab, then under connection type you chnage it from RAS to NDIS.

PS: With Sprint, when I put the card into NDIS mode, you do not have to run the bloat software ever again unless you want to switch back to RAS mode for some reason. It basically changes something in the modem which will stay saved. Once in NDIS, the Modem acts like a Virtual Network Card from now on.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                    4X MK808b
                    3x Perixx Touchpads
                    3x 7 inch Screens
                    1x Win 7 PC

Comment

How can i get it to run silently in the background or atleast keep it from popping up on top of the road runner interface?

Any ideas?
                      I made a simple autoit script for a similar issue, you could give it a go..
                      ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by ZX1Cruizer View Post
                        OK, its called NDIS mode. I dont know how Verizon's software works, but in Sprint Smart View you open options, then go to the Mobile Tab, then under connection type you chnage it from RAS to NDIS.

PS: With Sprint, when I put the card into NDIS mode, you do not have to run the bloat software ever again unless you want to switch back to RAS mode for some reason. It basically changes something in the modem which will stay saved. Once in NDIS, the Modem acts like a Virtual Network Card from now on.
                        I think you may be on to something. I have played with the NDIS mode because it said "always on" but for some reason or another (i didn't explore) it would not automatically connect so i was left without a connection.

I'll play with that mode.

Do you have experience with a similar card?

Comment

dialog box popup

I have the same issue and have been trying to find a solution. I am using verizon USB720 and have the system automatically connect at powerup. It will automatically disconnect after non use and will reconnect automatically on demand. The issue is a dialog box comes up each time.

I would also like to know if anyone has been able to bridge bluetooth to any cellular adapter? I can bridge bluetooth to ethernet so a bluetooth equiped computer can use web services on a remote machine. I would like to offer this as an option in my truckputer when on the move.
                          Thanks,
                          DNR

Comment

I think you may be on to something. I have played with the NDIS mode because it said "always on" but for some reason or another (i didn't explore) it would not automatically connect so i was left without a connection.

I'll play with that mode.

Do you have experience with a similar card?
                            I used it on both my U595 and Merlin Card from Sprint. They both worked kind of different as each card manufacturer has different ways of using NDIS mode. Sierra prefers to install as a virtual wireless card, while the Novatel Merlin prefers to install as a wired ethernet card. Both worked very well and I disabled pop up balloons in Windows so I never saw anything. If it disconnects, it reconnects with no warnings.

1X Ainol Novo Flame Tab
                            4X MK808b
                            3x Perixx Touchpads
                            3x 7 inch Screens
                            1x Win 7 PC

Comment

Originally posted by ZX1Cruizer View Post
                              I used it on both my U595 and Merlin Card from Sprint. They both worked kind of different as each card manufacturer has different ways of using NDIS mode. Sierra prefers to install as a virtual wireless card, while the Novatel Merlin prefers to install as a wired ethernet card. Both worked very well and I disabled pop up balloons in Windows so I never saw anything. If it disconnects, it reconnects with no warnings.
                              Right now i am using the verizon client because NDIS mode didn't work too well. I'll try it again because i might have been doing somethign wrong. I still was required to configure internet explorer to dial a connection when no connection was present.

Comment

Working...
                              X