Reliable 3G wlan card to put into computer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reliable 3G wlan card to put into computer

A few months back I purchased a (****ty) Compaq Mini Netbook from Rogers that had a built in wireless 3G card + the SIM card that Rogers gave me that I pay for month-to-month.

Well let's just say the netbook is **** and i want to put my SIM card into a custom built computer.

Where can I get a 3G network card that I can connect to my motherboard which will be able to read the SIM card?

Also, for the sake of improving reception, is there a way I can connect via USB, or splice on antennas that will improve the 3G signal?

Thank you!
    2003 Mitsubishi Lancer CarPC Build Thread

http://www.pricebat.ca/ROGERS-BROADB...RD.p_10116907/

can a card like this be plugged into the PCI-E slot on a standard desktop-size motherboard?

(ps i would never actually buy this particular one as its way too overpriced, but u get the idea)

Comment

No, thats a mini-PCIE card, which means the connector is different.

You will most likely be limited to a USB 3g modem on a desktop board, I don't think you can get PCI or PCI-e 3g modem cards, only USB, mini-PCI-e or expresscard34/54.

Comment

Originally posted by Chester View Post
        No, thats a mini-PCIE card, which means the connector is different.

You will most likely be limited to a USB 3g modem on a desktop board, I don't think you can get PCI or PCI-e 3g modem cards, only USB, mini-PCI-e or expresscard34/54.
        Thought this was the case...but got me thinking..is there an adapter that can connect mini-PCIE to the larger PCIE slot for desktops?

Comment

you could use something like this http://www.soarland.com/MiniPCI-E_to...oduct-340.html to put in your desktop pc and use the card from your notebook or buy an intel mini pci-e modem for your sim SNO

Comment

Originally posted by SNOtwistR View Post
            you could use something like this http://www.soarland.com/MiniPCI-E_to...oduct-340.html to put in your desktop pc and use the card from your notebook or buy an intel mini pci-e modem for your sim SNO
            Thank you -- i'll look out for a reasonably price solution like this and post it if i find it

anyone else who's already found something please let me know!

Comment

Or this one, which looks pretty interesting!

http://www.hwtools.net/adapter/mp2a.html

Thats one fine looking adapter card, could be pretty interesting!

Might have to pick one up for my router server

Comment

Originally posted by Chester View Post
                Or this one, which looks pretty interesting!

http://www.hwtools.net/adapter/mp2a.html

Thats one fine looking adapter card, could be pretty interesting!

Might have to pick one up for my router server
                Woah thanks dude -- that thing does look pretty awesome...do u think that the Mini PCI-E 3G card has to be a specific kind (ie with a specific carrier, in my case Rogers) for this to work?

EDIT: Dont see how i can buy this off the website anywhere tho...

Comment

pretty well any 3g mini-pci-e modem should work as long as sim card slot is integrated in the card and that buy it now button on the hwtools website looks good hehe

Comment

pretty well any 3g mini-pci-e modem should work as long as sim card slot is integrated in the card and that buy it now button on the hwtools website looks good hehe
                    haha ya its pretty shiny on second glance

i'll see what else is out there and get this **** on the road. i wasn't planning on building a PC for the car (just using the existing netbook), but its honestly GARBAGE and i'm basically only paying rogers for the 3G plan, not the netbook itself, so not much of an issue

would the 2.4/5.8G antenna work with the 3G mini pci-e card? how much will it improve the range?

Comment

i went the rocket stick route plugged into a 3g wifi router works very good great speed in ontario for your modem you could use the huawei em770

Comment

i went the rocket stick route plugged into a 3g wifi router works very good great speed in ontario for your modem you could use the huawei em770
                        unfortunately i have to make due with what i've got which is the 3G mini-pci-e card which is inside the HP/Rogers netbook i paid for..

the cancellation fee is like $400 or something retarded...so i can't easily switch things over to the rocket stick method even if its the ideal solution

Comment

The SIM from the 3g card should be removable, it may be under a screw cover though.

Comment

For good mobile and stationary Wifi interfaces and antennas go to RadioLabs. They are in the business for Wifi
                            Matrix switch and DXFskin

2009 Smart Car
                            Zotec 775 LGA
                            65W Quad 8GB ram - 120GB SSD, 500GB hd
                            Asusu Xonar Essence
                            5 camera, video matrix switch, 2x 2140 Carnetix PSU
                            8" Samsung, 7" Lilliput, USB to 4port serial

Comment

Guys I'm not sure how much you know about 3g radio, or how much I do for that matter, but I do know this... wifi antennas will not work with a data card. They are the wrong type. I know this because I tried it. The USB720 from verizon actually is just a usb to mini-pcie adapter with a mini-pcie card inside. I put it in an ALIX-based router with a standard RP-SMA 2.4ghz antenna and I got no signal. Hooked back up the crappy antenna that was built into the adapter and got full signal. You need to get antennas for 900mhz/1800mhz frequency I believe.
                              Tidder

Try RevFE
                              The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

Working...
                              X