Wireless Router in Car

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wireless Router in Car

Has anyone done this (I'm sure someone has)? Is it as simple as running 12v power from my car PSU?

Has anyone used a wireless router with a USB port? Usually these are for print sharing and attached storage but could they be used for other things?

On a different tack how about using a wireless USB hub? I guess really that is what I need.

Just brainstorming some ideas.

Trying to get a tablet PC to run car audio, OBD, fusion brain. All wireless. And CD quality audio.
    A bonus would be not having any adapters or dongels to worry about.

A tall order but seems achievable.
    Last edited by Hessian; 07-29-2011, 02:19 PM.
    2007 Mustang - RockCar Front End

I have a 3g wireless router in my truck the 3g rocket stick plugs into its usb port works perfectly and anyone can jump on as long as they have the key http://www.canadacomputers.com/produ...item_id=026194

SNO

Comment

Cool, so are you just giving 12v via a modified power cord?

Comment

i run it from dc-dc usb regulator from mini-box on the mp3car store SNO

Comment

Originally posted by Hessian View Post
          Has anyone done this (I'm sure someone has)? Is it as simple as running 12v power from my car PSU?

Has anyone used a wireless router with a USB port? Usually these are for print sharing and attached storage but could they be used for other things?

On a different tack how about using a wireless USB hub? I guess really that is what I need.

Just brainstorming some ideas.

Trying to get a tablet PC to run car audio, OBD, fusion brain. All wireless. And CD quality audio.
          A bonus would be not having any adapters or dongels to worry about.

A tall order but seems achievable.

http://www.mp3car.com/laptops-netboo...o-control.html

this will be going in my boat. all relays work, will be adding a phidget 1011 for an analog input. the hub and router are running off a modified m1-atx (so it can be used w/o motherboard)

works really well. the tablet you see in the video is a fujitsu q550 but i returned it and have a motion computing tablet on the way (due to it's water resistance and sunlight readability and ~8hr projected battery life). I assume it would run off of an hp slate just fine too
          Last edited by scott_fx; 07-29-2011, 05:22 PM.
          New System in progress:
          M10k
          Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
          Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
          Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
          Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
          Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
          My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I think in the end I'm going to build a setup like my previous installs except use a router and attempt to build a host and client set of commands to control the main computer.

Thanks scott_fx! I'm going to review your install and see if I may end up changing my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by scott_fx View Post

http://www.mp3car.com/laptops-netboo...o-control.html

this will be going in my boat. all relays work, will be adding a phidget 1011 for an analog input. the hub and router are running off a modified m1-atx (so it can be used w/o motherboard)

works really well. the tablet you see in the video is a fujitsu q550 but i returned it and have a motion computing tablet on the way (due to it's water resistance and sunlight readability and ~8hr projected battery life). I assume it would run off of an hp slate just fine too
              Very cool! How are you getting audio out? via USB to DAC on the wireless hub?

Could I hook my fusion brain and OBDII stuff up to the USB hub etc? It seems I could easily.

Any latency issues?

I have a USB DAC but didn't think to go that route because I was focused on using digital out, but I think quality loss would be minimal here.

Comment

Hey Hessian,

i saw you tried to pm me, use my email instead.

as for your questions. I've tried two audio methods so far. usb audio card (one of the cheap $15 stereo dongle ones) and a usb dac. both worked great. only had one isse when i was setting everything up where the dac didnt' connect. haven't been able to repeat that since.

Im not sure about the fusion brain right now, though it streams audio very well. i only have usbio1's where there was a slight latency issue... but im unsure if it was the tablet or the router. im still waiting delivery of my motion computing tablet. will report back later
                New System in progress:
                M10k
                Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

This is sounding like a solution. How did you set up your router? Just use the tablet?

Pathways:

tablet PC -> DAC driver -> wireless USB hub -> hotaudio DAC -> minidsp 2x8 -> ZED Leviathan -> Dyn speakers (102/140/172s)

tablet PC -> minidsp config software -> wireless USB hub -> minidsp
                  tablet PC -> fusion brain software -> wireless USB hub -> fusion brain
                  tablet PC -> ODBII software -> wireless USB hub -> ODBII device

etc, etc..

Too much going through the wireless hub?

Comment

Originally posted by Hessian View Post
                    This is sounding like a solution. How did you set up your router? Just use the tablet?

Pathways:

tablet PC -> DAC driver -> wireless USB hub -> hotaudio DAC -> minidsp 2x8 -> ZED Leviathan -> Dyn speakers (102/140/172s)

tablet PC -> minidsp config software -> wireless USB hub -> minidsp
                    tablet PC -> fusion brain software -> wireless USB hub -> fusion brain
                    tablet PC -> ODBII software -> wireless USB hub -> ODBII device

etc, etc..

Too much going through the wireless hub?
                    not sure about the different types of dacs (if the bandwidth requirement is different or not) but it could be ok.
                    minidsp... dont have any experience with this but does it do all the processing onboard and you only use usb to change the settings?
                    again... no first hand expirenece yet... may get one soon if getting it to play with my skin isn't too hard for me to figure out (did you do any custom skinning with fb?)
                    obdii... that.. im completely in the dark about.

are you in socal?
                    New System in progress:
                    M10k
                    Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                    My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

Yea the miniDSP lets you set up the processing config via USB. It does not need to be connected after that, but the option to change on the fly would be nice.
                      http://www.minidsp.com/onlinestore/d...8-kit?sef=hcfp

They have pretty good customer service but I'm not sure they would open their software up. An API would be awsome here.

I have my own custom front end so I have some flexibility here. (see sig)

I would think the bandwidth would be the same for the DACs? Just digital out?

OBDII is pretty low bandwidth. I have a cheap BT version so I'd probably just use continue to use BT.

Comment

i haven't been taxing my setup that much, but i do have it reading audio from a solid state harddrive connected to the hub, as well as the dac. i think you could be ok with the obd-ii and the dac. the one concern is that it states that it won't play well with all of the audio devices out there. i think they are talking more about soundcards that do a lot of software processing.

i love that minidsp, that is so cool. wish they had that when i was doing my corvette install

my initial impressions with the setup ive been testing is awesome. everything is working great together and setup was very simple.

you can hook up to 15 devices to the hub too.

I set up my router by just plugging it in. and attaching it to the hub. the belkin software did everything. the hub i am using is a linksys router that an old coworker set up in adhoc mode for another project. but i dont think that was necessary.

if i were to do it again, i would possibly look into getting a smaller wireless hub, but it's not a deal breaker by any means. As far as hooking it up to 12vdc. the belkin unit is a [email protected] device. i plan on just using an old m1-atx as a power supply for the router and hub so factor that in to you budget
                        New System in progress:
                        M10k
                        Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
                        My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

The miniDSP 2x8 can accept SPDIF/Toslink. I'm thinking a USB to SPDIF/Toslink would be thing to do here.

Comment

Working...
                          X