Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gotta love wireless internet from t-mobile! finally done right.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gotta love wireless internet from t-mobile! finally done right.

http://www.t-mobile.com/products/ove...841&class=data

First you gotta get one of these:
    The Sierra Wireless AirCard 750 fits into a standard Type II PC Card slot and functions as a wireless network card. Mobile users of the T-Mobile wireless Internet network can achieve high-speed performance up to 56K for e-mail, web browsing and other corporate applications.

The Sierra Wireless AirCard 750 retails for like $350, but can be found on ebay for less than $150! Basically it's a wireless 56k modem for your laptop. All you do is plug it into your pcmcia slot (PC Card slot) in your laptop, and your online. No need to find hot spots, you're online everywhere you go.

Plans:
    This is the best part. Unlimited internet access for $29.99 a month, thats right, unlimited data transfer for thirty bucks. This plan also includes 300 text messages. And you can make voice calls for $.20 a minute if you have a headset (I dont see the point).

Reception:
    Transfer rates do fall if you have poor reception. Thank God i live in delaware, i never lose any reception no matter where i go (with t-mobile). My house is a few blocks from a t-mobile store.

For thirty bucks a month for unlimited access, you cant beat that. Sprint pcs starts at $40 a month for 20megs and can go upto $100, that sux.
    Falcon cr53 w/ via epia m10000. Nokia 3650 blutooth phone.
    Better than winamp. Click here for qcd player.

oh if you dont have a laptop to use the pcmcia slot. get one of these
    http://www.elandigitalsystems.com/adapter/p111.php
    Falcon cr53 w/ via epia m10000. Nokia 3650 blutooth phone.
    Better than winamp. Click here for qcd player.

Comment

I have the unlimited net for $30 plan for my nokia 3650. I need to get the firmware updated to make the bluetooth more stable though.

churnopol, what has been your experience with the bluetooth on the 3650?
      A digital mind lost in an analog world.

Learn to ask smart questions!
      http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

My car PC: The Lost Cause!

Comment

I have T-mobile and used it in my application

I used it via bluetooth. Worked pretty good. I use it for checking the weather, updating FREEDB data when I insert a cd so I can rip right into my media folder. Also for checking my email (less frequently :P dont need to be so tapped in). I get 56k modem speeds in the new york area. It Varies.

Comment

I find that whenever I try to spend any long amount of time online I start having problems staying connected. I have to reboot the phone to make it work right again.
          A digital mind lost in an analog world.

Learn to ask smart questions!
          http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

My car PC: The Lost Cause!

Comment

Sprint Vision

Sprint Vision plan also offers unlimited wireless Internet, for zero $'s above your base plan. All you need is a USB cable, a vision support phone (which includes most Sprint phones sold in the last year), and a vision plan. Plug in the cable, connect using Sprint's software, and you get unlimited wireless internet.

If you get their plan using the wireless card, then you get less for more money. Sprint doesn't advertise the USB service, but it works fine.

Comment

Sprint's USB service is also a violation of your terms of service, they can terminate your contract for that, read it.
              -- WireSix, Inc. --
              MP3Car Lives Here!

Comment

Here we go again...
                Aura MR62 (F and R)
                My Current MP3s
                IamDefiler.com

Comment

Tech M3. There are lots of people doing it, I have yet to hear of one terminated.

Comment

I was looking at those cards back in December, and they are only capable of 56k max, with an average of about 33600bps.
                    Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                    Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                    I'M DEBT FREE!!
                    I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

The new EDGE services from AT&T look pretty promising. I got a demo of the Sony-Ericsson solution (a PCMCIA card silimar to the Sierra Card from T-Mobile) and I was really impressed.

Read more about EDGE here.

The speeds are supposed to be be around 200Kbps burst and an average of around 120Kbps. It was definintely faster than using my T610 over the GPRS network via Bluetooth. The other nice thing about EDGE is that it's being offered on certain handsets as well. Here are the EDGE-compatible devices (2 Nokia handsets and a PCMCIA Card).

Might be the future!

-Randomtask

Comment

Originally posted by Randomtask
                        The new EDGE services from AT&T look pretty promising...

...if the price comes down. Currently $80 a month for unlimited.

Comment

For voice calls you could maybe do Voice over IP maybe connect to your house They don't have any decent gadgets down here in NC for mobile internet. $30 a month is a great service. Can't compare to broadband speeds but compared to dial-up it is probably a good service as you can use it anywhere!!! Sweet.
                          CarComputer Status: New Car & Broken (Motherboard Fried)
                          Owen JH | My Linux Blog | The Tech Fellows

Comment

I hear that we will be seeing a big improvement in wireless modems by summer. CES Las Vegas. The edge is mearly a bridge to this new technology. Let's deal with our phone connections for a few more months.

GinoRP
                            VIA M-1K Nh; Lilliput 7" Touch; Earthmate GPS; Slim Slot DVD/CDRw; OBD-2.COM; ATI-Pro TV; RF Wireless KB; USB Thumb 802.11b; 7"x3.5"x7" Lexan Case; 40G Laptop HD; PW-70 w/ITPS; Headliner TV Antenna; XPHome; Delorme Streets 2003/Topo USA

Comment

Originally posted by bklynkaos
                              I used it via bluetooth. Worked pretty good. I use it for checking the weather, updating FREEDB data when I insert a cd so I can rip right into my media folder. Also for checking my email (less frequently :P dont need to be so tapped in). I get 56k modem speeds in the new york area. It Varies.
                              tjis might be a rookie q. but how can i get my sony erricson t616 to call my isp ? i have cingular wireless.all i really am able to do is starnfer data or jpgs. lmk. sam
                              Best Technique In Life Is Having No Technique

ONE DAY I WILL LEARN HOW TO USE THE COMPUTER THE RIGHT WAY.

Comment

Working...
                              X