802.11 Antenna Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 802.11 Antenna Advice

Being new to this things are somewhat experimental and I don't want to spend a fortune. I have one of the "ebay kiosk" PC's that may be my eventual CarPC but I plan on doing some testing with a laptop as I have some Orinoco PCMCIA cards.

However, if I'm going to try a PC Card I figure I should add a pigtail (?) antenna, can anyone recommend something reasonably budget priced to hook into an Orinoco card?

While I'm open to suggestions I'd like somethign relatively small as I may want to travel with it and use it in a rental car, more permanent options are also of interest though. Any tips welcome.

Chris.

http://shop.netstumbler.com/customer/home.php

look there
    2003 Nissan Pathfinder LE - My cardomain page.

Comment

ebay it

Originally posted by hussein
      After you look there, look on EBay... I got the same thing but with a 7dB antenna and an orinoco gold card for 70 bucks.
      2002 VW Golf GLS - Red
      EPIA-MII10000
      512MB SDRAM, 80GB HD, DVD
      7" Lilliput Touchscreen
      Belkin Nostromo n50 SpeedPad
      Opus 150W, USB Earthmate GPS
      Dell True Mobile 1150 w/ 7 dBi antenna
      Hauppauge WinTV-GO-FM

Comment

Originally posted by hussein
        $89 for a little antenna? That seems rather expensive, I thought on another post I saw much more powerful ones for like $50, I was thinking there may be a cheap and cheeful option to get started, maybe what I need is a USB Orinoco stood on the dash for now.

Thanks for the tip though.

Comment

I going to get this
          http://www.radiolabs.com/products/an....4-mobile7.php

Comment

Originally posted by Gunmaster
            Hmm.. Too bad I can't use one of those. It looks nice and easy.

Cursed plastic cars...

Kris
            How Much Horsepower Can I have And Still Go To Heaven?

Comment

Originally posted by Superduck

Cursed plastic cars...

Kris
              If you have a plastic car can't you just have it inside...?

Comment

Originally posted by Superduck

Cursed plastic cars...

Kris
                Arent Fieros metal?

Comment

Fieros have plastic body panels.... Pretty neat idea from pontiac... too bad they stopped making 'em in 88 (or was it 86...).... They came pre-colored, from what I hear... No need for paint... I've always wanted a Fiero GT ...
                  Project "Media-Z" : 99 Camaro Z28 (Click to View)

Comment

Originally posted by kiztope
                    Fieros have plastic body panels.... Pretty neat idea from pontiac... too bad they stopped making 'em in 88 (or was it 86...).... They came pre-colored, from what I hear... No need for paint... I've always wanted a Fiero GT ...
                    I wouldnt mine having this

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2461881673

with a 3.4 Twin Dual Cam engine from a 91 Grand Prix GTP! ofcourse theirs other engines.

Comment

nice looking car in that auction!

I'd rather have the northstar conversion done... now that is a sweet engine swap...

Project "Media-Z" : 99 Camaro Z28 (Click to View)

Comment

Originally posted by kiztope
                        nice looking car in that auction!

I'd rather have the northstar conversion done... now that is a sweet engine swap...

can you mod the northstar? the gtp series you can mod pretty well.

Comment

Maybe cause the NS engine starts at 300+ HP and the GTPs, not including the 2004, start at 240HP. But yes the GTPs are easy to MOD. Mine is at 280HP and 320FPT right now with minimal MODs.

About the antenna go with at least 8dB. the range you get from it will be well worth money over a 3 or 5dB.
                          Aura MR62 (F and R)
                          My Current MP3s
                          IamDefiler.com

Comment

hey, i got my antenna from http://www.jefatech.com .... i have yet to try out the little magnetic mount antenna that i put on my netgear ma401 card though. they also sell the senao pc card which outputs 200mW of power, which is quite a bit more compared to the cards we have. this antenna is also on ebay for about 1/2 price i think hehe. oh well :/
                            National Geode 233 MMX, Homemade 5V/12V DC-DC Converter, 6.5" TFT LCD w/ Touchscreen, Motorola Oncore GT+ GPS w/ Routis, Netgear 802.11 w/ External Antenna, IBM Travelstar 10gig HD, Homemade Serial Infrared receiver, Homemade Small Serial Trackball

Comment

Working...
                            X