Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• range of 802.11

Just being curious.

let's say I want to put a 802.11 device in the carputer for sync with the house's network, what is the range to this wireless network?

I would have to leave the car in the street, I do not have a garage at my appartment, and am not always able to park directly in front of the house.

Would the 820.11 range a few hundreed feets for a standard access point?

thanks.
    -Mars

I would try 802.11g ( I have had better luck getting it at longer ranges), but i would really recomend a little outside antenna off Ebay to gaurantee a pefect Sync)

Comment

spec is 300ft, but that's assuming no interference from cordless phones, wireless video cameras, or microwaves. Metal, including house wiring, will also cause interference.

Best bet is to get a good AP (linksys) and an external antenna for you car.
      Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
      Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
      I'M DEBT FREE!!
      I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

just a note to those looking to increase their wifi range on their home network:

Try putting a high powered omni antenna as high as possible (I have had one in the attic before) You can usually get them at http://fab-corp.com/ go about halfway down the omni antenna page and you will see a 9dbi antenna for $56.95. (that will increase your output power by 8x)

Comment

Originally posted by Toups
          just a note to those looking to increase their wifi range on their home network:

Try putting a high powered omni antenna as high as possible (I have had one in the attic before) You can usually get them at http://fab-corp.com/ go about halfway down the omni antenna page and you will see a 9dbi antenna for $56.95. (that will increase your output power by 8x)
          Oh man, for a few bucks more get the 12 dBi Omni w/ 3 deg Down Tilt. Now your talkin distance.
          Aura MR62 (F and R)
          My Current MP3s
          IamDefiler.com

Comment

yes, but with that I would recommend placing the antenna above the roofline

I also hope you have an open AP for your neighbors as your security would be compromised.

Toups

Comment

so with the proper equipment, I should be able to sync within about 2 corners of my appartment (and server/access point) ?

is there any sync software that I should need?
              -Mars

Comment

sync? The only thing this will give you is access to your home network.

As far as a distance, you would need to calculate your EIRP, freespace distance loss and obsticle loss, then factor in your equipment sensitivity.

Comment

Also depends on what hardware you use. I could barely get a signal using a linksys usb adapter sitting infront of my building. The Avaya usb adapter i just got allowed me to play a mp3 off the network as i drove down the drive from my building .
                  -Nick

Comment

Working...
                  X