Realistic range and tips for WiFi devices

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Realistic range and tips for WiFi devices

Hi all. I will be buying a wireless access point soon and a card for my carpc. What I would like to know is if I should mount the access point in my room (3 stories up with my house at the top of a hill) or in the garage (obviously 3 stories lower and below ground level with 2 huge metal roller doors a few metres infront of it).
    Having it in the garage makes it closer to where my car will be so I know without a doubt I will get a decent connection when I drive into my drive-way, but I would also like to keep this connection for as long as I can while I am driving away (or towards) my home. If I have it in my room, higher up, would the range increase?

I have a fairly good knowledge in how electro-magnetic waves work through my amateur radio skills, however I know little about the output wattage or gain on the access point/WiFi card and the carriers susceptibility to interference etc etc, so I was hoping I could get a professionals opinion.

Thanks in advance guys

Car PC v1 - 1999 - 2000
    DOS 6.22 - MPXF - 2x16 LCD - 6.4GB
    Car PC v2 - 2002 - 2006
    XP - 7" wide/touch - GPS - Tank batt relay - 100GB
    Car PC v3 - 2008
    XP - 7" wide/touch - GPS - 802.11g - FM/XM - OBDII - WWW

[||||||||||||||----] 80% complete

metal doors = big no no for ghz frequencies - I reckon you'd get more higher ( and still enough to connect from down below in drive ) try both and see...
    James
    www.digital-car.co.uk - The UK CarPC Forum

Comment

Well, my recommendation if you have a 3 story house on a hill, is to attach an amplifier and omni antenna to the AP and attach it to the outside of the house. This would give you the most range as you would be able to max out the EIRP for the 2.4ghz ISM band. If you need any additional info, specs, or formulas, just let me know.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. Firstly I have no idea what AP, EIRP and ISM stand for, please elaborate on those.
        I should be getting a access point in a week or two from now, ill make another post once everything is up and running.

Thanks again for the tips.

Car PC v1 - 1999 - 2000
        Car PC v2 - 2002 - 2006
        Car PC v3 - 2008

Comment

Originally posted by JayKaye
          Thanks for the tips guys. Firstly I have no idea what AP, EIRP and ISM stand for, please elaborate on those.
          I should be getting a access point in a week or two from now, ill make another post once everything is up and running.

Thanks again for the tips.
          AP= Access point
          the others I don't know

However I have the d-link di-624 router and a d-link dwl-g650 pci with an external 7db antenna for my car...the closest I can get in my car from my Apartment is about 100yards away with 2 stories up. And I'm still going at 95% strength....really is fast.
          With those 2 products you can supposedly go up to 108mb of speed transfer rate.

FAST!
          BossTone74

Comment

i work with wifi, netgear on the box 1600feet. The real world distance is about 100feet because of trees, buildings, electrical lines.

same with linksys, buffalo

now you can get one of these like i have in my car.
            http://www.streakwave.com/Product-2440-Indoor.asp
            My car has a real world distance about 1000feet
            The MC of Florida Car PC Meets
            CAR:2001 Ford Crown Victoria
            PC: Acer EEE 900HA with Win7 with CF 2.0.
            Memory:1G
            Drives:160gig
            WI-FI:Cingular
            GPS:IG2k9
            Screen:Xenarc 700TSV
            The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

Im using a Linksys setup 3rd floor reaches the max 350ft @ 55% signal strength. Linksys cards have netdetect built in which is nice when cruising for hot spots.

Comment

netgear also has it. Just upgraded my carputer from netgear 11mps to linksys g54.
                The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

at my parents house in arizona (no trees) i set up a network bridge that spans almost a mile. the neighbors (agricultural area) have i think a 9db gain omni and i was using the standard rubber duck antennae. i finally bought a directional 13db gain antenna and mounted it outside because the cordless phone would interfere with the little one. but the neighbors set up a network bridge that goes two miles into town to their busniss office in town.
                  '99 F-350 Crew 7.3L~'02 F-350 Crew 7.3L~ '04 Dakota SLT+ 4.7L
                  MII12000opus120~MII12000opus120~MII10000opus150
                  NA~Senao dual 7.4 ant~Orinoco Gold
                  Pioneer~Pioneer~PG Octane-R R5.1MT
                  Xenarc, Rikaline6010, Garmin OEM16 HVS, CoPilot10

Comment

bridger, impressive

Car PC v1 - 1999 - 2000
                    Car PC v2 - 2002 - 2006
                    Car PC v3 - 2008

Comment

or if you want to go on the cheap ... go to www.freeantennas.com

you could make one of those and put it on one of the rubber ducks ,,, and point it where you park your car ...

just a thought

I personnaly have a 15DB omni and a 1 watt amp ( i know i know .. and no i dont have cancer YET... its good i dont post my adress) gets VERY far .. i bought this mini 5db magnet base antenna .. I open my sunroof in my car , let the magnet stick on the top there , and plug it in my laptop , i must have gone about 1 mile or so still works , of course not everywhere , big buildings etc are real problems ,

PS: I have this setup because I have a WISP .... use 24db grids for CPE , all orinoco stuff , ap , cards , cor etc ...

Comment

where did you get the 1 watt 2.4ghz amp? how much?
                        Carputer: 2.8Ghz P4, 512 RAM, 120gb HDD, WIFI, TV tuner, CDRW/DVDROM, Slot load DVD in front.
                        Screen: Lilliput 7" touchscreen (Custom made Carbon Fiber Screen Enclosure)
                        S2000 Carputer

Comment

www.hyperlinktech.com .. they have like EVERYTHING for a WISP .... they have MILITARY 10watt amps lol .. i bet those HUM like hell ....

nah .. this is a small one .. if you want ill take pic ... i got like 5 of them all spread around .... at my pop's ... $275 i get em .. i think on the site they have em for 285-295 or whatever .. they have lower wattage .. they have for 802.11g too .. ...(those are more expensive) .. the like 500mw one is pretty good price .. or the 250mw ... helps allot i bet ...

Comment

on a scale or 1 - 10 how hard is it to make one of those antennas found on http://www.freeantennas.com/ ?

what sort of experience is needed and how much room for mistake is there if your off with your measurements?

Car PC v1 - 1999 - 2000
                            Car PC v2 - 2002 - 2006
                            Car PC v3 - 2008

Comment

I have a 8db omni on the trunk of my car with a 500mw 2.4ghz amp (bought 1 year ago).
                              I have a reality range of about 1/2 mile.
                              here's my wi-fi amp
                              http://www.streakwave.com/Product-2440-Indoor.asp

and here is my antenna
                              http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/hgv-2404_06_09U.php
                              The Florida Meets Thread

Comment

Working...
                              X