• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Pro Synchronization

So I got everything setup.
    I turn on the car,
    my computer starts up,
    automatically runs a xp sychronization (webpages, music, movies) over my wireless lan,
    Media Car loads up,
    I drive away from my house,
    It loses the network connection.

Now, all the sudden, the paths to my music and movies change from across a network, to on my hardrive. MediaCar can't find the network anymore to read any files.

If i click on the mapped drive that i have syn (contains music/movies) , it give me the error :

an error occured while reconnecting x:\ to \\computer\sharedfolder
    Microsoft windows network: the local device name is already in use
    This connection has not been restored

then about 5 minutes or so later i get this message.

You are no longer connected to "computer name" you may now continue working offline.

After that, MediaCar finds the synchronized files. The computer basically relizes that I have lost that connection, logs out, and then resorts to the files that have been synchronized as opposed to looking on the network. But i don't want to wait 5 minutes before it switches over to my files. In fact, i would prefer that it never even look across the network (except for during the actual synchronization)

How can i fix this?

edit: I tried unchecking - reconnect at login,
    but it connects during synchronization anyway,
    I need it to disconnect immediatley after synchronization.
    mobo $130 ; 150wOpus-$200 ; 256mb pc2700 -$10 ; 120gb HDD 7200-$70 ; Lilliput TS 7"-$265 ; USB LAN-Free AR ; Rikaline 6010 GPS-$34 ; ShuttleXpress-$37
    Total = $746....Carputer = Priceless

Originally posted by cadence117
    Total = $656.... so what.... i'm cheap
    I love the signature, but I have no answer to your problem

CarPC
    VIA Nehemiah M10000, 256MB RAM, 40GB HDD
    100W DC PS /w ITPS, TV tuner, Slim Slot-Load DVD
    GPS, Streets and Trips 2004, Rearview Camera
    Bluetooth, 802.11b & CDMA 1X
    In-dash 7in Lilliput Touchscreen

Comment

if no one has a solution to this...

could you please recomend software that will cleanly sync webpages and network files upon startup.
      mobo $130 ; 150wOpus-$200 ; 256mb pc2700 -$10 ; 120gb HDD 7200-$70 ; Lilliput TS 7"-$265 ; USB LAN-Free AR ; Rikaline 6010 GPS-$34 ; ShuttleXpress-$37
      Total = $746....Carputer = Priceless

Comment

Originally posted by cadence117
        if no one has a solution to this...

could you please recomend software that will cleanly sync webpages and network files upon startup.
        Don't quote me on this but I used to use a program a long time ago call BlackWidow. Not sure if that is the type of program you are looking for but I liked it at the time. I am sure you can find it if you went to download.com or something.
        AMD XP 2600+/512MB RAM/120GB hard drive
        Opus 150W/DVD/GPS/7" Lilliput TS/802.11g/Bluetooth
        Installed.

-GPSSecure- - GPS Tracking
        -AltTabber2.2.2- - Handy touchscreen utility.

Comment

web pages i'm not to sure how your going to get an automated snyc of. teleport pro is capable of ripping down a site, re-structuring it into a single folder and only updating the files that have changed, though i don't know if it can be automated.

as for files, i use "robocopy.exe" its an old microsoft command line executable that syncronises folders on different machines. it can be written into a batch file. personally i set up a couple of shares on a home machine and sync them to the car pc. it can handle network paths so there is no need to map drives.

Comment

I use Karen's Replicator with my CarPC. Set it up on my desktop machine, to keep the files updated every 5 minutes. If it can't find the PC, it won't do anything. It takes about 5 minutes to check the parameters of my 2500 MP3 files on my 802.11b wireless connection which gets about 1.5mbps real-world bandwidth. I really need to upgrade to 802.11g and move the AP closer to the road

Garry
            Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
            www.aimee.cc

Comment

Originally posted by Confused
              I use Karen's Replicator with my CarPC. Set it up on my desktop machine, to keep the files updated every 5 minutes. If it can't find the PC, it won't do anything. It takes about 5 minutes to check the parameters of my 2500 MP3 files on my 802.11b wireless connection which gets about 1.5mbps real-world bandwidth. I really need to upgrade to 802.11g and move the AP closer to the road

Garry
              Can you tell if it's finished when you're in the car?
              Laidback

The ultimate CarPC - Wow!

Comment

Originally posted by Laidback
                Can you tell if it's finished when you're in the car?
                Probably not the way I do it.

However, there is absolutely no reason why you couldn't put it on the carputer and monitor it from there

Garry
                Co-Developer of A.I.M.E.E
                www.aimee.cc

Comment

Robocopy.exe ( a tool from the server resource kit) can do this for you.. Using the switche /mir and a couple more it keeps the mirror with your network drive insync all the time, if the network is unavailble it keeps retrying in the back without giving any errors, as soon as it's back availbale, it will continue, even half files will be continued until they are back ok..

Little testing until you have the settings just right for you but then it is heaven without even having to worry about it. I simply make it startup and in the back it does all I need, not only from server to ( temp test setup) carputer but, and this maybe important ;-).. From carputer to server for backup ;-)

Robocopy rules ;-)
                  I'm going to hell, who's comin' with me ?

Renault LagunaII 1.9 CDI
                  Carputer Install Progress: [*********-] 90% - Cleaning up

VIA-MII10000 - 512MB Ram - 80Gb HD - Lilliput - GPS - OPUS 150Watt

Comment

Working...
                  X