which usb adapter to get?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which usb adapter to get?

I bought D-link's pci adapter (802.11b), doesn't work properly with winxp setup I have. It just connects poorly or not at all. I tried Win2003 on the same computer and it worked fine. So I believe it's drivers/os issue.

I am looking into getting a USB adapter. What is a reasonably priced good one?

best
    --hikmet

Orinoco. Bought by Lucent, then by Proxim I believe. You can find them on ebay. got a silver for about $24.
    My Install Thread
    digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
    How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

I use the Dlink DWL-120+ in my car. I have it inside the dash and it works fantastic. I connect to my home when I'm still about 500 feet away. At about 350-400 feet, I hit 11Mbps, and at around 300 feet, I'm at 22Mbps. Of course, I'm connecting to a Dlink 614+ router to get the 22Mbps. newegg.com has them for $43. A little pricy, but I'm very happy with mine.
      www.bradleyjacobs.com

There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life. -- Frank Zappa

Comment

@CCBlanket. Did you pay $48 for the D-link router? I got mine from Tigerdirect for $20 like 3 months ago.
        My Install Thread
        digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta

Comment

ppgt94, my d-link was only the 802.11b pci adapter, not the router. I returned the d-Link 2-3 weeks ago, got a Linksys instead, yet still pci.

I have still few days before I can return Linksys. I will either get a USB one if I can find at a reasonable price, or a pcmcia + pcmcia-to-pci converter since I am planning to switch to a mini-itx later.

does the d-link or orinoco have connector for external antenna?

Comment

Originally posted by ccblanket
            ppgt94, my d-link was only the 802.11b pci adapter, not the router. I returned the d-Link 2-3 weeks ago, got a Linksys instead, yet still pci.

I have still few days before I can return Linksys. I will either get a USB one if I can find at a reasonable price, or a pcmcia + pcmcia-to-pci converter since I am planning to switch to a mini-itx later.

does the d-link or orinoco have connector for external antenna?

Take a look at the OriNoco Silver USB client. It has a PCMCIA card inside with MC connector in it to attatch external antennas.
            My Install Thread
            digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta

Comment

Working...
            X